SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Sage User

Is it time to replace old hardware?

I have a six year old home theater computer running SageTV 7.

The specs are:
ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with integrated nVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics
2GB RAM
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3600+ processor
Windows XP

I use it as both a server and client on my main TV. I also have one HD-300 in the family room.

Most content is OTA recordings from an HDHR, and ripped DVDs.

Lately this machine seems to be having performance problems. If I am watching a show and it starts recording a HD broadcast, playback gets choppy and pauses.

I am also unable to play ripped or downloaded 1080P movies smoothly. They tend to be choppy with some digital artifacts.

I never have any performance problems with the HD300. It just works.

I can't tell if performance has gotten worse over time, or if I am just watching more HD content that I used to watch. I definitely noticed a drop in performance when I upgraded from SageTV 6 to 7 about a year ago.

My question is: Should I expect this system to work smoothly with 720P, 1080i, and 18080p content, or am I asking too much of this hardware?

How much effort should I put into trying to debug the performance issues versus upgrading the hardware and doing a fresh install?

I have a feeling that doing a fresh windows install on the same hardware might help since things seem to have gotten worse over time.

Would going to Windows 7 on the same hardware make things better or worse?

If I decide to replace the motherboard and CPU, can someone recommend a good budget combo (with optical SPDIF) for this application?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I still use XP but I just did a reinstall of Sage only and that helped quite a lot. Sage was crashing on playback very frequently to the point that the whole family was exasperated.

Since the reinstall 2-3 weeks ago, I think I've had 1 crash. I think between the Microsoft service packs and plug-ins, something just gets mangled from time to time.

Your machine specs should still be adequate, save for the Nvida 6150 is quite dated. Up until a few months ago I was running an Athlon X2 5000+ without hiccups. I then upgraded to a Athlon II x4 620e (45-watt processor). Aside from transcoding, I haven't noticed any difference using it with Sage.

Note, I am currently also testing Windows 8 on the same hardware. So far so good using only the stock Windows 8 codecs. There does seem to be a bit of tearing so at some point I'll change the codecs but I dread the nightmare of optimzing codecs.
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine

Last edited by amac; 12-21-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Two possible ways to go. For starters, I would still expect your hardware to work good enough with 720p and 1080i MPEG-2 material (like your OTA broadcasts). Those don't take much power for decoding. However, H.264 and VC-1 decoding DOES take more power than you've really got available. There are two ways to go to fix this. One would be to go with a new motherboard and cpu with integrated GPU (sandy/ive bridge i3/i5, or amd A-series APU). The other method would be to get a latest generation, lower end discrete graphics card, which can offload the decoding duties from the limited CPU. Personally, I'd go with the new motherboard/cpu, but that's going to cost more.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room