SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Moved movies to NAS and hd-200 can't find them

I haven't touched my Sage system for a couple of years. Been purring along. I am in the process of upgrading my computer systems and installed an NAS. I have it all set up and my movies moved to it. They are in a shared directory of Movies. I then mapped the directory to the computer running sageserver. When I go into sage to change the import directory, the new shared / mapped directory is not available. When I click on Network and then on the workgroup, I get an error of invalid directory.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to use the NAS with sage?

Thanks
George
Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you map the drives within sage \\NAS (nas ip address or name)\share(sharename). example my uraid server name is DVDSRV with a share name of mymovies. The drive setup is \\dvdsrv\mymovies..
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Steve thanks for answering. I have to be doing something wrong

My computer that runs Sage is: Media-Storage
My NAS is: Diskstation.
The directory on Diskstation that hold the movies is: Movies

When I go into setup to add media import directory i say Specify.

I have tried \\diskstation\movies
I have tried \\media-storage\movies

Each time I get asked the directory doesnt exist, do I want to create it.

What am i missing?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are you able to ping the nas by ip address?
Does the nas show in network neighborhood?
If the nas shows in network neighborhood, does clicking on the nas show the share?
Are the share accessible?
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Are you able to ping the nas by ip address?
Does the nas show in network neighborhood?
If the nas shows in network neighborhood, does clicking on the nas show the share?
Are the share accessible?
Yes, NAS shows in network neighborhook
Yes, The shares are visible
Yes, The shares are accessible. I was able to transfer all the movies from computer running SagetV to the NAS.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Use the specify option in sage, instead of trying to browse to it. I have the same problem with my setup. I have to specify the drive mappings whenever I add shares.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Use the specify option in sage, instead of trying to browse to it. I have the same problem with my setup. I have to specify the drive mappings whenever I add shares.
Yep, tried that multiple times. Always says not a valid directory. This is very frustrating. What kind of NAS do you have? Would it be possible to talk via phone at some time?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use unraid. Yes i can talk to over the phone. Pm with you number and I will give you a call
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you get this resolved? If this is the first time you are trying to use a network share i sage, it is likely that the sagetv service is running under the LocalSystem account, which does not have access to network shares. You will have to, using SageTVServiceControl.exe, set the service to use an actual user account.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Did you get this resolved? If this is the first time you are trying to use a network share i sage, it is likely that the sagetv service is running under the LocalSystem account, which does not have access to network shares. You will have to, using SageTVServiceControl.exe, set the service to use an actual user account.
I have been using a network shares for a long time. Only difference here is that I am putting files on an NAS.

Steve was kind enough to send me instructions in great detail, none of which worked for me.

Finally today I MAY have it solved - and it is very unusual. I uninstalled Sage - including a search in the registry. Then I installed v6.x. In that version I was able to browse the network and workgroup to find the shared folders. Then I upgraded to v7.x.

Then just to see if I was crazy, I tried to add another shared folder on the NAS by browsing via Network and Workgroup. I then got the same error as before. So version 6 lets me browse to the folders but v7 does not. Very strange.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

So the problem was just browsing the network? Could you use Specify... to add it directly and it work?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Fuzzy is right, also if you're using a specific user account name, the same user must exists on the shared computer as well, unless you're using the "Simple file sharing (Recommended)" setting which enables the "Guest" account on Windows which doesn't require authentication.

I personally don't use simple file sharing so all my NAS/Servers where the media are stored have a special user account named "SageTV" with limited administration rights and the SageTV server is running with the same account name as well, this way my kids cannot delete pictures for instance or at least I can limit the damages

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 11-13-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Fuzzy is right, also if you're using a specific user account name, the same user must exists on the shared computer as well, unless you're using the "Simple file sharing (Recommended)" setting which enables the "Guest" account on Windows which doesn't require authentication.

I personally don't use simple file sharing so all my NAS/Servers where the media are stored have a special user account named "SageTV" with limited administration rights and the SageTV server is running with the same account name as well, this way my kids cannot delete pictures for instance or at least I can limit the damages

Eddy
Not entirely correct, you don't necessarily have to have the same account on each computer, but on the client, before sage will be able to connect to it, you have to navigate to it from explorer, and enter the server account's username and password, and check save credentials. Then, any program running under THAT local user will access the remote share via the saved credentials.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Not entirely correct, you don't necessarily have to have the same account on each computer, but on the client, before sage will be able to connect to it, you have to navigate to it from explorer, and enter the server account's username and password, and check save credentials. Then, any program running under THAT local user will access the remote share via the saved credentials.
You right assuming you're using Windows Pro and not Windows Home edition which unfortunately doesn't allow you to save credentials...

EDIT:
Also on Windows Pro there is a limit (but can be changed via gpedit) to 10 simultaneous connections and that includes any shares/login as well.

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 11-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You right assuming you're using Windows Pro and not Windows Home edition which unfortunately doesn't allow you to save credentials...
I can tell you that isn't correct, at least not for windows 7. I only own home versions, and they do allow saving of credentials used for network shares, and there is no real limit on the number of items that can be stored in the Windows Vault.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remember my credentials.jpg (42.3 KB, 491 views)

Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can tell you that isn't correct, at least not for windows 7. I only own home versions, and they do allow saving of credentials used for network shares, and there is no real limit on the number of items that can be stored in the Windows Vault.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of Windows 7, unfortunately on Windows XP, only the Pro version can save credentials and 10 (but can be increased/waved via group policy setting) is the maximum number of concurrent connections

Last edited by routerunner; 11-14-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't aware of Windows 7, unfortunately on Windows XP, only the Pro version can save credentials and 10 (but can be increased/waved via group policy setting) is the maximum number of concurrent connections
Assuming a system being talked about is XP in 2012 is pretty ridiculous, I'd think... I mean, we just passed XP's 11th birthday...

Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Assuming a system being talked about is XP in 2012 is pretty ridiculous, I'd think... I mean, we just passed XP's 11th birthday...
More than you think....

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Of course there are still a lot out there. My point was that there are still more than twice as many win7 systems than xp, so it would make sense, that unless otherwise specified, the assumption would be win7.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

To get back to the original confusion for me.

With NO changes to any of the network settings:
On SageTV v6 I was able to browse the Network/Workgroup/Folder.
On SageTV V7 I was NOT.

Anyway, I do have the NAS working now, but installing v6, setup the shares, and then updating to v7.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'm sure there will be more questions to come.