SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Moved Server To New Box, Cannot Find Recordings?

Just finished building my dedicated SageTV server and am trying to migrate SageTV from the old box to the new box.

I have the recordings on a separate drive, so I moved the drive to the new box and
updated
C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\Sage.Properties to point to the separate drive:
Code:
wizard/db_file=S\:\\SageDB\\wiz.bin
Checked the location and wiz.bin is still there with an expected size of 3175 KB but a DateModified that preceeds the first boot-up of the new server's SageTV.

Renamed
C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\wiz.bin, which was only 5k, to "zzWiz.bin".

Fired up Sage again, no new Wiz.bin created in Program Files...

Seems like it might actually be using the Wiz.bin that I pointed it to, but when I open SageTV Recordings it says "There are no SageTV Recordings to display...."

I did a "Clear All Filters" just for good measure, but no luck.

Are my existing recordings hosed?

Not exactly a religious issue - it's only TV.... and I suppose I could import whatever shows I haven't watched yet and/or want to keep.

But I'd still like to get to the bottom of it.

Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried putting your old Wiz.bin in the default location of C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV?

And just to cover all the bases, the SageTV service was stopped when you did your .properties file editing, right?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Have you tried putting your old Wiz.bin in the default location of C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV?

And just to cover all the bases, the SageTV service was stopped when you did your .properties file editing, right?
Yeah, Sage service was stopped - I went through that on the old box when moving to the separate drive.

I think the old Wiz.bin is toast. Should have made a backup before moving.
Live and learn.... But it's still bugging me that wiz.bin is so large and growing.... compared to the preseumably empty version created at install time. Like maybe the DB entries are hiding in there somehow coded to the old box's name or something.

I just found an old version of Wiz.bin and copied it to the new box.

SageTV Recordings came up with the expected list of two-month-old recordings.

So... my conclusion is that the install stepped on my Wiz.bin and I should have made a copy of it before moving the hard drive.

Case closed.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.

Last edited by PeteCress; 02-15-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Since you relocated your wiz.bin to the S: drive (I always live mine in the SageTV directory and back it up myself) Look for a wiz.bak file somewhere. (Either on your S: drive or look in the old SageTV directory) that is close to a date or time just before you changed everything. Or even within a day. Rename it to wiz.bin and drop it in your S: drive and see if that works.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
So... my conclusion is that the install stepped on my Wiz.bin and I should have made a copy of it before moving the hard drive.
How would the installer have known about your old Wiz.bin on a separate drive? Did you copy Sage.properties from your old machine before installing? That's a no-no. Sage.properties is hardware-specific; when moving to a new machine you should do a clean install and let Sage create a new Wiz.bin and Sage.properties. Only after Sage is up and running should you copy over Wiz.bin (but not Sage.properties) from your old machine. See this FAQ for details.

And it should go without saying that regular backups of Wiz.bin are a good idea even if you don't plan on moving to new hardware.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Since you relocated your wiz.bin to the S: drive (I always live mine in the SageTV directory and back it up myself) Look for a wiz.bak file somewhere. (Either on your S: drive or look in the old SageTV directory) that is close to a date or time just before you changed everything. Or even within a day. Rename it to wiz.bin and drop it in your S: drive and see if that works.
Bingo! Somebody had created a "SageTV" dir on my dedicated drive. It had a Wiz.bin from some days ago and restoring it brought me pretty much back up-to-date.

Now I've got to revisit the notion of running Windows Server in light of a few recent posts...