SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Sage User

Asymmetric Sage tuner behavior with two working HDHR tunes but same lineup

SageTV (latest 7.x) version and I (and HDHomeRun Setup) are having a disagreement.

I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun with two tuners (S/N ABC-0,-1). Both are connected to the same cableTV (clearQAM where possible) source with a splitter. Running the HDHomeRun Setup scan and clicking on the resulting links shows the same video (VLC) from either. This includes Discover (Pacific, standard-def, non-encrypted).

In Sage, with both of those tuners included and configured with the same lineup ("Comcast-zipcode"), I try to watch the Discovery channel (channel 15 on cable) only to see a "No signal" screen in Sage. Puzzled I jumped down into the Sage video (tuner) setups and did a preview of this channel on tuner ABC-0. With the ABC-0 tuner the preview of 15 DSC (channel number xx-yy-zz) shows the expected show. But doing a preview in the setup for the other ABC-1 tuner (same 15 DSC (channel number xx-yy-zz)) shows me a strong signal but I never see any video. That would make sense if one tuner was working and one wasn't or if one channel was encrypted and the other not, but that's not the case here--as I said above, clicking on the channel link for ether/both channels in the HDHomeRun Setup program shows that *both* tuners are receiving the same expected video for this channel. The Sage Program Guide info for the DSC channel matches the correct video when I can see the video.

Disabling the "bad" tuner (in HDHR Setup, which also disables it in Sage) allows Sage to operate normally using the "good" tuner, displaying the expected video when I use LiveTV or click on the show in the Program Guide.

How do I kick Sage to get it to display the video that is obviously there on the "not-really-bad" tuner? Could some sort of Sage mapping be different (in a "hidden" config file) between the two tuners even though they show the identical 15 DSC (channel number xx-yy-zz) for both?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
SageTVaholic

After Setting up the HDHomerun software and renaming the channels to match the ones in Zap2it and applied the changes it should have created the SCN files in Sage.... You then need to add the tuners setup lineup and do a scan on BOTH tuners to create the frq files..

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-26-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Sage User

Asymmetric Sage tuner behavior with two working HDHR tunes but same lineup

SageTV (latest 7.x) version and I (and HDHomeRun Setup) are having a disagreement.

I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun with two tuners (S/N ABC-0,-1). Both are connected to the same cableTV (clearQAM where possible) source with a splitter. Running the HDHomeRun Setup scan and clicking on the resulting links shows the same video (VLC) from either. This includes Discovery (Pacific, standard-def, non-encrypted).

In Sage, with both of those tuners included and configured with the same lineup ("Comcast-Digital Fremont"), I try to watch the Discovery Channel Pacific (channel 15 on cable) only to see a "No signal" screen in Sage. Puzzled I jumped down into the Sage Setup Video Sources (tuners) configs and did a preview of this channel on tuner ABC-0. With the ABC-0 tuner the preview of 15 DSCP (channel 42-1008-15) shows the expected show. But doing a preview in the setup for the other ABC-1 tuner (same 15 DSCP (channel 42-1008-15 )) shows me a strong signal but I never see any video. That would make sense if one tuner was working and one wasn't or if one channel was encrypted and the other not, but that's not the case here--as I said above, clicking on the channel link for ether/both channels in the HDHomeRun Setup program shows that *both* tuners are receiving the same expected video for this channel.

This same asymmetric behavior (both tuners show video OK in HDHomeRun Setup; in Sage only -0 shows any preview video while -1 doesn't but *both* show good signal strength [96%+]) shows up on a *few* other seeming random cable stations. Since both tuners in the single HDHR share a common power supply, HDHR Setup via VLC can display video for the same channel from both tuners, and even Sage shows excellent signal strength for both [but only -1 doesn't display], it's hard to point to anything other than Sage *choosing* to not display the video for one or sending a faulty command.

Disabling the "bad" tuner (in HDHR Setup, which also disables it in Sage) allows Sage to operate normally using the "good" tuner, displaying the expected video when I use LiveTV or click on the show in the Program Guide. And the Sage Program Guide info for the DSCP channel and other channels matches the correct video when I can see the video.

How do I kick Sage to get it to display the video that is obviously there from the "not-really-bad" tuner? Could some sort of Sage mapping be different (in a "hidden" config file?) between the two tuners even though they show the identical 15 DSCP (channel 42-1008-15) and same lineups for both?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 AM
Sage User

Problem solved by deleting and readding "bad" tuner

This was with an HDHR dual tuner, both of which has been working previously. So, unless the tuner died, the tuner, setup and previous working channel scans would seem to have been OK.

I was working with SiliconDust (HDHR) about another HDHR problem (that turned out to be a now faulty power supply) and happened to mention this asymmetric tuner issue. He threw out a few good idea and although they didn't *exactly* match my situation (not a new tuner, hadn't done a channel copy from one to the other--I fully rescanned, etc.) it lead me down a path of assuming a corrupted Sage tuner setup that fixed the problem.

I deleted the problem -1 tuner in Sage but I was then able to add it back in and copy (in this case) the data from the working cable lineup (based on the remaining -0 tuner). I didn't rescan anything (channel scan from -0 tuner was already good). I could now see all the channels on both cableTV tuners, including the few that were previously giving me a "good signal" but no video on the -1 tuner. One interesting thing is that Sage retained info about the "deleted" and then "new" -1 tuner across this (so it didn't *really* fully delete everything). Specifically, the sage.properties file retained the unique merit (priority) value I had previously manually assigned to that (and all other) tuner(s) to force Sage to use the tuners in a specific order (OTA tuners, then cableTV tuners).
Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Did you run the channel scan in SageTV on both of the tuners? If it is being used as a QAM tuner, you should have .scn and .frq files in the SageTv directory for both tuners, and an .frq file for both if it is being used as an ATSC tuner. If you are missing one of the files, that could help point you in the right direction.

Last edited by ranger; 09-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Sage User

I had previously (years ago, occasionally as channel updates came thru, in the last day when I found the problem) run update scans and then full channel scans on each of the tuners including the problem one. Both good and bad tuners were set up for Digital Cable, and both had the same lineups when scanned *but* the problem tuner would show great signal strength but no video for a few channels inside Sage. My "cure" was to *not* run yet another scan or delete any files but rather just to delete the problem tuner from Sage, add it back in, and "Copy" (Sage's term) the existing good Comcast-Digital lineup to the tuner when I added it back it. This seems to have wiped whatever corruption that had made it into the problem tuner's config.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.