SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Switch between Diamond Legacy and Gemstone

For those testing that want to switch between Gemstone and Diamond you can just disable the Gemstone plugin and Install the new Diamond Legacy plugin that you will have listed. Then to switch...

- currently using Diamond Legacy
- just Enable Gemstone - it will disable Diamond Legacy

- currently using Gemstone
- Disable Gemstone and Enable Diamond Legacy

That's it.

k
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Does this mean that it won't affect my current settings and if I switch to Gemstone and then go back that everything will be exactly the same as before I started?

Am I correct in assuming that this must be done at the server level so that you can't run some extenders on Diamond and others on Gemstone?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

For now... lets hold off on this as the next test release is going to take a different approach and therefore the steps to switch between Diamond Legacy and Gemstone will be slightly different which I will post here once the test release is ready.

But basically the answer is yes... Gemstone uses ALL new settings so any Diamond settings on your system will stay in place unless you clear them.

As well, extenders share the same list of Installed Plugins... however, Sage allows each extender to Enable/Disable plugins independently. So you should be able to have both Gemstone AND Diamond Legacy installed on your server and then have some extenders with Diamond Legacy enabled and Gemstone disabled and some the other way around.

k
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Sage User

Can't switch back on hd300

Just saw gemstone as an update today, did the update, looks cool, but at least on my hd300 it has killed it and the sage service 4 times in the past hour!

So I downloaded the diamond legacy, disabled gemstone, enabled diamond, and then after the ui reload i get the blue exclamation saying gemstone is the replacement for diamond anddamond is disabled!

I even went as far as uninstalling the gemstone plugin and trying to enable diamond. Gemstone is still there with the same error message. I cant get rid of it. Looks great, but not stable for me and I need to go back. Help please!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Sage Expert

I'm not an expert, but have you tried going into the Detailed Setup screen and selecting the STV that way? I've had some strange things going on when I didn't get the plugin and the STV matched correctly.

Also, the disastrous experience you describe surprises me... what other plugins do you have installed?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Sage User

I'll give that a shot. To the dev guys, really, the Gemstone UI is great, but first and foremost it can't kill the sagetvservice which it is doing for me.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

We had over 25 testers with good experiences and many of us have been using this for many months so perhaps some more detail on the issue, plugins installed etc and we could try to assist you in getting gemstone working.

If you are going back I too would suggest disabling gemstone... Loading the default STV from detailed setup and the install diamond legacy.

k

PS.. Have you cleared the information messages? If you are getting new messages then Gemstone is still enabled or still the STV.

Last edited by jusjoken; 09-27-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Sage User

I will get a list tomorrow and continue playing with it tonight. Did not mean any offense. I am a hardware engineer, it's always the software...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Sage Icon

I will be posting in the FAQ a list of known working plugins with Gemstone and what is integrated now that does not need to be installed.

If you are having problems it is best to go back to basics with just Gemstone enabled and then start to add one buy one. Not every plugin will work but we try to keep compatibility with the bigger plugins like comskip, Playon, CMT etc.

We will definitely help you to get things sorted out.

Just out of curiousity, what is your java heap set to on your server? 1024MB (400hex) recomended as Gemstone uses more memory. More than 1024MB is not known to be stable. Also what Java version are you using?

Last edited by jorton; 09-27-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Sage User

My java heap has been at 1557MB for a long time since I used to have issues running out of memory. Since then, I've tried to cull some unneeded plugins, and I've not had issues.

I am using Java 1.6.0_35 according to the sage info screen.

I was able to switch the stv back to default and then enable the diamond legacy plugin without issue, thanks to all.

I look forward to a list of things that are built in that I can get rid of.

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Sage Icon

From our testing I think the problem is the 1557MB heap setting. Try going back to 1024MB max if you feel like trying it again. I can recall seeing posts of people having issues with more than 1024MB. Just a suggestion, up to you to try.

I would also disable all the optional plugins and add one by one again once you have a stable Gemstone install. We don't guarantee that "all" plugins will work with Gemstone, there are just too many