SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

HD-PVR Failing? Suggestions and Colossus experience

I have had a HD-PVR for perhaps 2 year now. I've actually had pretty good luck with the reliability. Historically I've had the HD-PVR lock up on me perhaps once per month.

However, recently the reliability of the unit has dropped dramatically. I'm getting lock ups (ie halts in the recording and a Capture Device Failure that prevents any recordings until the unit is powered off and on and the Sage Service cycled) nearly every recording now. Certainly at least once per day and I'm normally only recording 3-4 shows per day. Needless to day I'm getting pretty tired of loosing all these recordings.

As far as I know, nothing has changed in my system. At most, there might have been a OS update (I run Windows Home Server version 1) or perhaps a DishTV update. But I have not made any software or hardware changes to the system that would cause something like this.

So my first question is, is this normal? Have people had the HD-PVR die on them in a similar slow death fashion?

Any suggestions to get it running properly again?

If not, I think I would replace the unit with the newer Colossus card. Have people's experiences with that device been positive?

Thanks!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage Icon

Try getting a new power supply for the unit -- you can probably get one directly from Hauppauge by asking them directly.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Sage Icon

I just had to get one for one of my HD-PVR's. I bought 2 (since I have 2 HD-PVRs).
One of the power supplies was weak/failing intermittently. I hadn't made the connection, but from time to time (a couple times a month) I was seeing a message on my server saying that a USB device was not recognized.
That may, or may not have been accompanied by a missed recording.

After a power incident here during a major thunderstorm, one of my STB's died so I had to make my second HD-pvr the primary one and shut the first one down until I could get the STB replaced. Yes, everything was on an APC and powered off, but not unplugged, during the storm. I lost the STB, a device in another room, also on an APC, and one of my Sage HD 100's. I was able to get the HD 100 to recover. THANK GOD, I was NOT looking forward to trying to replace that!!

Anyway, I noticed during the time I was trying to get the 2nd HD-PVR to be my primary (guide issues since the 2nd one was keying off the 1st ones lineup) that the device kept dropping out/in with those messages.
I noticed that when I powered up the HD-PVR that the light would come on bright and just as the record light would go on during the HD-PVR's bootup that the power light would dim and the record light was also very dim. At that time I would see the "usb device not recognized" message from Windows Home Server.

I recalled reading here about power supply issues with the HD-PVR and swapped power supplies with the unused HD-PVR and the issues went away.

So I ordered 2 new power supplies from Hauppauge. If I recall the price on their website was $15 but they only charged my $10.95 each plus shipping.

While waiting for the new power supplies I got the STB replaced, but needed a power supply for the HD-PVR. I found this Enercell unit at Radio Shack ($29.99). I didn't really want to spend that much, but finding a power adapter that would put out 5 volts at 2 amps was not easy.
Plus this unit has the advantage of having a USB power port and interchangeable tips. So, I can use it for travel to charge phones, etc.

Anyway, that got me up and running at full capacity again.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm thinking about getting one of these and making my own connector from it to my HD-PVR's. Then the HD-PVR's get powered off with the computer and the supply shouldn't go bad like a wall wart. Just haven't done it yet. Hoping to find one (or similar idea) on Monoprice or Newegg but not so far.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Sage Icon

You might also try taking the top off and seeing if it's just overheating. That's what happened to mine. Just removing the top fixed mine, but I added a fan ASAP.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
However, recently the reliability of the unit has dropped dramatically. I'm getting lock ups (ie halts in the recording and a Capture Device Failure that prevents any recordings until the unit is powered off and on and the Sage Service cycled) nearly every recording now. Certainly at least once per day and I'm normally only recording 3-4 shows per day. Needless to day I'm getting pretty tired of loosing all these recordings.
I had the exact same problem and it was the power supply. The power supplies only seem to last for a couple of years.

After replacing my PS my HD-PVR went back to normal operation. I suggest you replace your HD-PVR PS every two years (regardless if it is working).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s