SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Sage User

Couple of Newbie questions...

Couple of things I can't figure out:

1. Why do some of my recordings shown in the "recordings" listing have a red line around them and others don't? In the "Recording Schedule" that seems to indicate that the program will be recorded, but since it's already been recorded, why the red line?

(See attachment)

2. Why do my favourites not automatically record? They show in the "Recording Schedule" list, but I have to click on them and select "Record" for them to record. These are not programs that have been recorded before, there's no conflict, so I don't know what's stopping the program...

(See attachment)

-Andy.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Sage User

Red Lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sage 2 recordings red line.jpg (31.5 KB, 245 views)
Old 06-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Sage User

Not Recording
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sage 2 recording schedule.jpg (41.1 KB, 206 views)
Old 06-12-2004, 09:58 AM

You sure those favorites are not going to record? Red lines mean you have selected it for a Manual record. White is for Favorite, Black for Don't like. Yellow for currently recording.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Sage User

When I click on them, the "Program Information" screen shows "Record" as the first upper left button. If I click on it, it changes to "Record Options", which indicates to me that it will now record.

Are you saying that even though the first item doesn't show "record options" it will still record?

If that's the case, ignore my complaints about your skin showing what I thought were favourites that were not going to record in the mini-browser... Sorry!

Last edited by Mr_X; 06-12-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Administrator

If it is in the recording schedule, it is set to record. You change the recording options for a favorite by changing the favorite (via the Favorites Manager), which will change the options for ALL airings of that favorite, or you change that particular airing to a manual recording & change the recording options as you just mentioned. Perhaps check out the FAQ thread, in the link below.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Sage User

Thanks for that. I should read more!!!

It's a bit non-intuitive for the "Program Details" screen to have the selection "Record" for a program that is already set to record. (It shows the same when I select a non-favourite program, so it's not obvious (to me anyway) that it was planning to record it, at least from that screen).

It should change the first selection in the "Program Details" screen to say "Override" or "Manual Record" or something other than "Record" when a selected show is already going to record due to it being a favourite. (For stupid people like me...)

It also seems that once a Favourite has been marked as a manual recording, if I select "Record Options" and tell it to not record, it won't record at all, even though it's still in the favourites list. (Not sure if that's true). If so, how does one just remove the manual record flag from a favourite and leave it to record normally?

Last edited by Mr_X; 06-12-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Well, some of this thread is not in the FAQ, so it never hurts to ask. And, I think that you are right that it could be confusing to see a 'record' button for a show that is already set to record.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_X
It also seems that one a Favourite has been marked as a manual recording, if I select "Record Options" and tell it to not record, it won't record at all, even though it's still in the favourites list. (Not sure if that's true). If so, how does one just remove the manual record flag from a favourite and leave it to record normally?
Ready for this one? If you've set a favorite airing as a manual recording, use the 'record' command a 2nd time to cancel the manual recording or go to Record Options & select "Cancel Recording'. Then, it immediately gets removed from the list of scheduled recordings. SageTV will go through the process of figuring out the schedule again, see the favorite & add it back in as a regular recording of that favorite!

The only way I know of to stop the recording of one particular airing of a favorite is to mark that airing as watched or don't like.

Oh, BTW -- the favorite settings can be changed via the "Favorite Options" button on the Program Information screen.

- Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Sage User

Wow! You da man! Thanks for all your help!

Here's one more (I just checked the FAQ and couldn't find it)...

If I create a favourite, record a few shows, then decide I don't want that favourite anymore, Sage says it will delete all my recordings under that favourite. Why would it do that? Is there a way to remove the favourite without deleting the recordings? It'll delete them watched or not??? That's hard!

I can see that I can probably move the recordings to the library if I want to keep them, but still, isn't it a bit harsh for it to delete the recordings when all you want to do is stop recording new programs from that favourite?

It should at least give you an option to keep the programs and/or automatically archive them for you or something!

Also, if I move the program to the library, the program stays in the "SageTV recordings" list, so it's really not obvious that this show would be protected if I removed the favourite that recorded it.

(There's no way the wife will get the hang of all this.... )
Old 06-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_X
If I create a favourite, record a few shows, then decide I don't want that favourite anymore, Sage says it will delete all my recordings under that favourite. Why would it do that? Is there a way to remove the favourite without deleting the recordings? It'll delete them watched or not??? That's hard!
See the last Q&A of this FAQ entry.

- Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Sage User

Well, I don't like it at all, but I guess that's the way the program works...

When you create a favourite, you have the selection of having it "auto delete" when space is needed or not delete. Once that flag is set to not delete, it should be permanent until you manually delete the program.

The seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off setting is too global. I want ir's and liveTV recordings to delete, but not my previously-favourite programs.

How frustrating!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I want ir's and liveTV recordings to delete, but not my previously-favourite programs.
Keep in mind they still get automatically deleted, just not until space is needed.

Quote:
When you create a favourite, you have the selection of having it "auto delete" when space is needed or not delete. Once that flag is set to not delete, it should be permanent until you manually delete the program
This can be confusing but remember these are properties of the Favorite and not the recording itself.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Sage User

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Manual Recordings and Favorites set to "Manual Delete" can never be automatically deleted
Is this still correct, or does it mean except in the case where a favourite has been deleted, as I was discussing?
Old 06-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Manual recordings are always marked that way. Regarding favorites set to "Manual Delete", see mlbdude's comment directly above: it is a property of the favorite setting, not the recording itself. Marking the favorite recording as a Manual Recording (even after it has been recorded) will change the property of the recording.

I've submitted suggestions on how to make this work better, but we can only work with how the program currently operates.

- Andy
Old 06-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Thanks again.

I think Sage is head-and-shoulders above other software in its features, capabilities, and configurability, but just needs a few tweaks in the area of intuitiveness and simplicity for new users.

Hopefully these may be addressed with some of the new skins and SageStudio efforts.

I'll try and shut up and go watch some TV now...

-Andy