SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
I'm running Plex on the new Sony NSZ-GS7 (still can never remember that name without checking ) Google TV box. Works well, just have to playback recordings via DirectPlay so they won't transcode on the Plex server. I have the Plex server look for new recordings (from Sage) every 30 minutes.

Must say I'm not thrilled with the Plex interface so far, too may years on SageTV , but it does work. I can jump to Chrome from Plex to access the SageTV Web interface.

The new Vizio Google TV box will start to ship in a couple weeks for $100 less than the Sony (i.e. $99). Should have similar performance to the GS7 as I believe they are on the same Marvell chipset.
Sorry, I should have explained. The reason I would NOT get a smart TV (I have one) is there is no way to upgrade the hardware. A box you can get a new one if there are features missing, or new items come out.

I'm personally hoping someone will put a Snapdragon S4 pro in one of those boxes!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmoke View Post
For PQ I would recommend panny plasmas VT, GT, or ST 2012 models. The VT is simple one of the best TVs ever made. The app screen selection is sluggish though and the glare is noticable in a sun filled room.

Whatever your selection, the first thing I would do would be to put it in cinema mode til run a calibration disk though it. Vivid mode will only decrease the longevity of the tv, give inaccurate colors, and use more power then should be.
+1 to that. Panasonic has a great track record for quality hardware, PQ, and warranty coverage. Samsung would be #2. They both make LCD and Plasma so you can get what you want depending on what technology you want in a tv. My third choice would be LG as their quality has gone WAY up. They have always made a decent TV, but they were overpriced for what you got.

The TV market now is great because you can get a lot for your money. 65" flat panel for less than $2500 is crazy, especially when you add the fact that it is made by a top tier manufacturer.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as my old matte Mitsubishi rear projection finally bit it. Now it's on to glossy-screen, lots of reflections in my family room, pastures.

Anyone here have one of the newish Panasonic or Samsung plasmas and could relate their experiences?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Loving my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 I bought early this year.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Sage User

I think I've had my Panasonic plasma for a little over a year now. Love it. My dad and brother-in-law have had theirs for longer, maybe 3 years, with no issues.
I ran a break-in DVD on it for several days before I really started using; I'm pretty sure my relatives did not.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm hoping my 6 year old Samsung LED DLP will continue to function for a long time going forward. I can't believe it has taken this long for the flat panels to even come close to it in terms of picture quality.

Of course, if you want the Samsung SmartTV features - what is your budget?
http://www.frys.com/product/7348464 <--- this one is $3000 off MSRP!

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm hoping my 6 year old Samsung LED DLP will continue to function for a long time going forward. I can't believe it has taken this long for the flat panels to even come close to it in terms of picture quality.

Of course, if you want the Samsung SmartTV features - what is your budget?
http://www.frys.com/product/7348464 <--- this one is $3000 off MSRP!
I'm going to miss the 12+ year old CRT-based Mitsu, geometry problems and all.

I ended up getting a Samsung F8500 plasma, it should be here at the end of the week.

While I think I preferred the pictures of the Panasonic's (ZT60 & VT60) a bit more, the sheer brightness and ambient light reflection filter on the Samsung plus its lower price swayed me toward it. It's the family room TV and it faces a large array of windows and glass doors unfortunately. The only weirdness was the demo model they had at Best Buy had a weird visual hiccup of a black frame, rapid dimming or something going on at regular intervals on their video loop, which was unique to the F8500. The Magnolia dude said they've tried every every setting to get rid of it but so far have been unsuccessful. Have to see if that pops up. Though Samsung has been excellent in getting firmware updates out I read.

I saw the LG OLED at (a different) Best Buy and it sure was pretty. But not worth spending huge bucks on a first gen product.

Speaking of OLED, "Tech Guy" Leo Laporte sprung (or TwitTV did) for the Samsung recently and I'm curious to hear what he and the Revision3 guy, Robert Heron, have to say about it.

Last edited by phelme; 09-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.