SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage User

New Hard Drive Recommendation

I have a sage server set up on WHS and I only have around 100 Gb's left.

I want to add a new 2TB hard drive to increase my storage space and am looking at some of the new green drives. Are there any disadvantages to using them and does anybody have any drive recommendations?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Sage User

I had 2 Western Digital Green drives (2TB) die on me after only a few months. I have had better luck with the Western Digital black drives. They run hot though so keep them in a ventilated case.
NAS: Synology DS212j, 3 TB WD & 3 TB Seagate (Mirrored) for Movies, Music and Pictures
Media Extenders: 1x HD300, 3x SageTV Clients, USB-UIRT & Happauge Remote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

I have a few WD Green, but in this ludicrously huge server case with 1 120mm fan to vent box heat, 2 90mm fans pointed right at the HDs. One died after a few years, the others are still good so far.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
I have a sage server set up on WHS and I only have around 100 Gb's left.

I want to add a new 2TB hard drive to increase my storage space and am looking at some of the new green drives. Are there any disadvantages to using them and does anybody have any drive recommendations?

Thanks
There a waste of money on thoses WD Caviar Green model and stay alway from Red and Blue model to. I look at Seagate Green over WD Caviar Green any way or it just best to spent more on Black model taht I don't for sure but from what I hear is the SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB Best model out in 2TB forum or maybe take look at Western Digital WD20EURS 2TB and there new Seagate Pipeline HD ST2000VM002 2TB but I no idea if it any good.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

only had one WD drive...it failed 10 days after the year warranty was up (retail box), and WD wouldn't replace it.
I buy Seagate, and only Seagate, since they either have three or five year warranties. I've needed two exchanges - once when it was the drives fault, and once when a power supply took a drive down with it. Both times, Seagate sent a new (ok, refurbished) drive and honored the warranty.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

I'm bummed on the Green Drives. Bought 8 just after they came out, and none have died. No reason to update. Anyone have a suggestion on how to kill them?

Only con I see, is if you move files around a lot. All kidding aside, I'd get the new WD "RED" drives, if I was buying new.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
only had one WD drive...it failed 10 days after the year warranty was up (retail box), and WD wouldn't replace it.
I buy Seagate, and only Seagate, since they either have three or five year warranties. I've needed two exchanges - once when it was the drives fault, and once when a power supply took a drive down with it. Both times, Seagate sent a new (ok, refurbished) drive and honored the warranty.
I've had bad drives with both Seagate and WD. I will buy from any manufacturer. My current favorites are Samsung and Hitachi before the buyouts. I've had better failure rates with them. Also of note is that right now Seagate warranties are at 1 year on new stock. Never had a problem with WD RMA's as long as it is within the warranty - same with Seagate RMA's. Am currently looking at 4 desktop drives and 1 laptop drive that will be RMA'd (if still under warranty). 3 WD and 2 Seagate. If you count old drives (200GB from 2004) I have 150+ drives - either in PC's or retired in boxes.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you can find them in stock, I would go with the new WD red series.

http://pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Wes...ve-Full-Review
Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

i love the samsung 2tb, have 5, 15 degrees cooler than any other drive out.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmoke View Post
If you can find them in stock, I would go with the new WD red series.

http://pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Wes...ve-Full-Review
That is a great article! Thanks for sharing. I always heard not to use consumer grade drives in RAID, but I never knew why! Looks like they are out of stock at NewEgg right now.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Sage User

I've been using one of these WD Green drives for two years with no issues. There are two WD Green drives (retail and OEM I believe). I bought the one that had better reviews overall on several sites. So hoping I got one from a good batch.

I originally bought two of the Seagate 2TB green drives (can't remember which one but I think it was this one). Both of the Seagate drives failed the short and long tests with the Seagate Tools, so they went back.

I purchase my drives locally (Microcenter usually) so I can return them when the fail immediately.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

I have 9 WD green drives in my unRAID server. I had a couple go bad during the first week. Both were replaced under the store warranty. My green WD drives have been running 24 x 7 for about 2 - 3 years now without any more failures. I recently had a Seagate 1 TB drive that went bad. Seagate replaced it free under warranty with a refurbished drive, about a month and a half, and paying to ship them the bad drive.

I recommend not using WHS. It is very inefficient storage compared to unRAID. There's no recovery path to recovering your system if it fails, other than a scratch re-install. A better solution is to use Windows 7 for you SageTV computer and unRAID for a mass storage server for your video library and to store the backups for other computers.

Dave
Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

7 WD green drives for the past 4 years with no issues. Red is the way to go now as they are made specifically for use in a NAS and have a "special firmware" that doesn't park the heads (which is what kills the green wd drives). Reviews have been pretty good on those drives so far.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.