SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hardware requirements for SageTV client

I've read some interesting threads recently about SFF ready-built devices on Newegg and home-built clients.

I recently came across a client license for SageTV and am looking to build or buy. I watch SD and HD TV both live and recorded and watch ripped DVDs in .avi and .mp4 containers. I don't yet own a BD or have any BD rips but likely will at some point. Heat and form factor size are important. I don't have a USB UIRT but would be willing to invest in one. When ripping DVDs, I use the handbrake defaults (AAC? AC3?). I have an unused Win7 license sitting here. I've built my last 3 computers (multi-core Intel-based desktops w/ discrete video & some recycled parts) for south of $450 so I'm hoping I can stay in the $350-$450 price range with this build / buy.

DIY home built client questions:
  1. Are there certain minimum CPU / memory / video requirements? Do I need the latest Ivy Bridge with built in video? I suspect the answer to that question is 'no' but then what platforms (chipset/cpu) provide the best blend of HTPC power / value for a SageTV client? Examples?
  2. Video codecs - I know very little about what a SageTV client needs in terms of codecs. There are some good threads on this forum but is there a 'here's what works best' bullet point list of what to load as far as codecs, splitters, etc? Sounds like doing this blindly can take a long time and a lot of tinkering <gulp>
  3. Just plug the USB UIRT transmitter into a USB port on the SageTV client and it will allow the remote to control the SageTV server just like my HDx00 extender remotes do? Any configuration to get it set up?
  4. How easy or difficult is it to get an optical drive to play a DVD (or BD?) locally on a client?
  5. Can a Win7 SageTV client connect to an XPHome SageTV server? Any issues? I could rebuild SageTV on the server with Win7 but would rather not if I don't need to.

Off-the-shelf ready-to-go (or almost ready to go) device for a SageTV client:
  1. I saw where one of the forum members referenced a Foxconn device on newegg that looks pretty cool but I was concerned that it might be underpowered (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119070). My concern is that something like this might be fine today but have problems with BD down the line. Or, even that it might not be enough for HD TV and ripped DVD watching now. Is my concern misplaced?
  2. Are there examples that anyone can share of small devices that were purchased ready to go in the last 6 mos to a year and work well as a front end client? Would love to see a link or your .jpg
  3. Is wanting an optical drive in a purchased device in order to play DVDs a realistic expectation? Would like to avoid having a separate DVD or BD player if I can.

As you can probably tell by my questions, my biggest concerns are will the hardware I build or buy be sufficient and how do I keep from spending too much $$ & buying too much processing / video power?

Thanks
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

1a. I lean toward the AMD chips for built in graphics, as the graphics is slightly better than the new HD4000, still, and the CPU doesn't matter that much. That's why a lot of people are using the AMD E-350 or E-450 chips. These are very low end CPUs, but they are perfect for displaying video streams. I'm not 100% sure they could handle the highest bit rate Blu-ray datastreams, but they can handle anything you'd get over the air or cable, easy. I think the E-450 could even handle Blu-ray.

1b. Saying that, any i3 (or higher) with the new HD4000 graphics built in will do OK. (do NOT use the older built in Intel stuff, it's worthless!)

1c. I get either 4G or 8G and use a 64 bit OS to future proof.

1d. Discreet video, anything but the lowest end newer card SHOULD work, but I'll let others chine in on minimum video.

2. Video Codecs. I'm still having issues with that, but for anything short or Blu-ray, the Microsoft ones are working OK for me. Others, please chine in!!!!!

3. Just pick up a Window MC remote, or really any wireless keyboard will be fine. SageTV handles all the server stuff for you. You control the client, the client passes request to the server. QED.

4. Rip 'em! I don't even have a CD drive on my client!!!!

5. That's what it's made to do. OS shouldn't matter, but versions of SageTV do. Wired network is best, then MOCA (sp), then power line, then wireless.

Part 2.

1. That uses an AMD E-350 chip. It's fine for anything short of Blu-ray, and that might work. I'd lean toward a E-450, or a A4-3400 (or i3 new) mini-ATX system for the living room.

2. The Foxcomm is fine, I'd put a 30-60G SSD in it, and it'll be fine and fast. Or you can get what I bought, but that's about $500, but it SCREAMS!!!!

3. It's just a waist. It's big, slow, power hog. It's so easy (and faster minus prep time) to use a thumb drive. Then just rip to the server.

(money wise, if you have an OK case/PS/remote I have the guts for an OK system for $180 on Newegg. A4-3400, 8G RAM, micro-ATX Gigabyte MB) You could even go cheaper, but this is good hardware, was planning a new mini-server, so needed the SATA ports. You'd still need an OS, I'd get an OEM W7 64bit PRO ~$80) Use all your other money on making thing as quiet as you can. That another reason I'd go AMD. While the power/performance is lower, the max power is also lower than the Intel, and power used has to be removed from the case = noise!
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just repaired one of my clients, using old Athlon 3000, 2 gig ram. Windows 7 32 and nvidia Geforce GT430. Can play Blueray Rips just fine using TMT, OTA and HD PVR sources.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
1b. Saying that, any i3 (or higher) with the new HD4000 graphics built in will do OK. (do NOT use the older built in Intel stuff, it's worthless!)
I'm using a ASUS P5Q-EM with a Q6600 and X4500HD northbridge built in video as both a client and a server. It works fine playing back everything including BluRays.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

I have a couple of systems with AMD E-350 processors that work as Servers as well as Clients. The Radeon HD processor is the key. I just ordered one of the $185 e-450 barebone/RAM bundles from NewEgg and I plan to put a Client on that ...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I built a SageTV extender using the mentioned hardware. Very happy with it over all. We use a PS3 for BD playback. The only issue we've had is trying to run a system backup and use SageTV at the same time, it causes stutter in any video play back, SD or HD. We're using the default codex from Sage, nothing special. It streams ripped disks without any problems also.

So happy with this I'm getting ready to built two more but will go with the 450 as it is some newer.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm also thinking about building a client box given extender prices...at least scoping it out. I'm very interested in this thread.

I read comments that said "it'd be fine for everything but Blu Ray." Is there a relatively agreed upon <minium> set of hardware that would work for that or other future proofing?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
I'm also thinking about building a client box given extender prices...at least scoping it out. I'm very interested in this thread.

I read comments that said "it'd be fine for everything but Blu Ray." Is there a relatively agreed upon <minium> set of hardware that would work for that or other future proofing?
If you have problems you might try this solution. Reviewer specifically mentions it. He had to have replaced the WiFi adapter as I don't believe the Foxcon mentioned has two mini PCIe ports. It is relatively cheap addition at $50.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Sage Expert

I should have also mentioned that now, thanks to the DivX codec, even lesser-powered platforms can deliver smooth 1080p performance in Sage ...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you all for the feedback. Based on these posts, I looked online and saw several positive reviews of the AMD APUs (Llano?) that beat i3 and i5 in video acceleration / rendering.

Follow up question - for the purposes of SageTV or a DIY DVR in general, does a Win7 OS machine have advantages over an XP machine? (besides security)

Codecs - you just download and install the codecs (e.g. DivX) on the client machine and SageTV 'sees' them?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
does a Win7 OS machine have advantages over an XP machine? (besides security)
The MS built-in codecs for video playback in SageTV are a huge plus with Windows 7 over XP...
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
The MS built-in codecs for video playback in SageTV are a huge plus with Windows 7 over XP...
I noticed a huge difference in video quality when migrating from wxp to w7 when using sage v6. Same decoders, same hardware. The only difference was the OS. Windows 7 includes optimizations for video quality that xp doesn't have. The built in decoders are very good too if they work well with your system.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
3. Just pick up a Window MC remote
Any recommendations on a particular one? There seem to be a bunch of "no name" ones out there, and it seems like I've heard some don't work as well as others.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Can I use a SageTV HDx00 remote control with a USB UIRT and eventghost?

If not, can anyone recommend a remote control to use with a USB UIRT / eventghost?

Or will any RC work?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilded07 View Post
Can I use a SageTV HDx00 remote control with a USB UIRT and eventghost?

If not, can anyone recommend a remote control to use with a USB UIRT / eventghost?

Or will any RC work?
Any remote would probably work if it is IR. I have my HD100/HD200 remotes setup with USB-UIRT and EventGhost on my Zotac client. I have multiple servers so I setup EventGhost with the menu plugin to switch between different servers as well as shutdown, reboot, sleep, "turn off TV" menu items. I also have TMT5 programmed and controlled by HD200 remote and EventGhost.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, after weeks of considering and reconsidering platforms and hardware, here's a list of components I've decided on:

Total cost is ~$284 before taxes and of course, can add discrete GPU later if want to watch 3D or the like.

I already have a 60GB SSD and Win7 64 license. The most difficult decision is the case so would appreciate feedback from anyone here who has built with one. Especially concerning psu, optical drive, and cpu cooler fit in the case.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I really would suggest an Ivy-Bridge, not a Sandy-Bridge.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I really would suggest an Ivy-Bridge, not a Sandy-Bridge.

Why?

For HTPC purposes, there doesn't seem to be a lot of (or any?) difference between the IGP's (HD1000, HD2000, HD3000) in the ivy bridge and sandy bridge. And the IB I3's are not available yet anyway.

The G620 seems to be very, very popular for 2D (not 3D) HTPC's.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Ok, after weeks of considering and reconsidering platforms and hardware, here's a list of components I've decided on:

Total cost is ~$284 before taxes and of course, can add discrete GPU later if want to watch 3D or the like.

I already have a 60GB SSD and Win7 64 license. The most difficult decision is the case so would appreciate feedback from anyone here who has built with one. Especially concerning psu, optical drive, and cpu cooler fit in the case.
Due to out of stock, I had to substitute the Antec VP450 PSU. My 11 year old daughter did most of the work, including front panel pinouts and power/date connectors. It was a fun project to do with her.

I have SageTV client software loaded and running with a key I bought on this board. I still have some questions about getting client set up with an HP IR receiver and SageTV remote controls but I'll ask those later. I did get the cables cleaned up and out of the way before I put the case top on but didn't get a final picture of the cable mgmt.

Here are some pics:

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b79945.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps128437d0.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...psdb4e49ff.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps834e091f.jpg
Tight fit between the back of the ODD and front of the PSU. A modular PSU won't work.
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73852eff.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7049babb.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0bad9a6f.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb125e05.jpg
Finished - front
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...psd408761e.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5a0f6a1.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps953294db.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6ccf4796.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps35ca379b.jpg

Last edited by Opus4; 09-29-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: images too wide to post inline; changed to links
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Having trouble to get this usb IR from HP to work with my SageTV HD200 remote control. I see the red light up when I point the remote at the IR so its getting power from usb port on the computer. I bought it new off of ebay but it came with no drivers (yes, from an Asian seller). Do I need to find and load drivers first? Which remote do I select in SageTV client on Win7 64 to get it to work with the SageTV HD200 remote?

Thanx
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0b721180.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...psfe4db1bc.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73d83ab8.jpg

Last edited by gilded07; 10-03-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: images too wide to post inline; changed to links