SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Sage User

Sony Google Media Player

I see a new item being launched called the Sony Google Media Box. Release date is 08/10/2012 (at least at Best Buy in Canada).

I'll have a requirement soon for one more extender. I'm starting to check out my options. I just happened to notice the Sony Google Media Box.

Here's a link to a write up on it:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/research...er/rc8795.aspx

Any chance this media box could be compatible for our Sage systems?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
I see a new item being launched called the Sony Google Media Box. Release date is 08/10/2012 (at least at Best Buy in Canada).

I'll have a requirement soon for one more extender. I'm starting to check out my options. I just happened to notice the Sony Google Media Box.

Here's a link to a write up on it:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/research...er/rc8795.aspx

Any chance this media box could be compatible for our Sage systems?
i would be willing to bet money against it. now if it has the ability to use plex, then you could connect to the plex media server and use the plex scanners and agents for SageTV.

or

if you can browse network media files, etc. it would work from that perspective. No guide data and most likely no live tv (At least not through existing SageTV Backend Server)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Although, I have to say that I'd be tempted to pick one up, if it were slightly cheaper, just to play with it.

I'm currently re-doing an Android application that I started almost 2 years ago... It could probably run on this if I implemented streaming. Live TV would be tricky, but I don't use LiveTV ever.. I just need recordings playback.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Although, I have to say that I'd be tempted to pick one up, if it were slightly cheaper, just to play with it.

I'm currently re-doing an Android application that I started almost 2 years ago... It could probably run on this if I implemented streaming. Live TV would be tricky, but I don't use LiveTV ever.. I just need recordings playback.
WAIT WHAT?!?

whats this android ap you speak of and how will it change my life?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Skip the $ony and get the Vizio version for $99...
http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview/
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It could probably run on this if I implemented streaming.
In principle, you should be able to interact the iOS streaming plugin from jreichen... Though HLS on Android isn't trivial...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
WAIT WHAT?!?

whats this android ap you speak of and how will it change my life?
Well, I've had a custom SageTV android app for almost as long as I've had my phone It was the first android app that I attempted to write, and as such, it wasn't very good... so I've never released it

Now that I've build a few apps and learns a great deal about Android, I'm revisting my old love, and attempting to re-do the application.

The ambitious feature list includes...
* Display any of the views that are currently visible in Phoenix or Gemstone (ie, it uses Phoenix APIs and VFS for building up views being sent to the device)
* Provide many of the features in BMT (fanart lookup, set default fanart, etc -- BMT will go away for me, since this will replace what I use bmt for)
* View Guide/Schedule recordings, manage favorites
* provide vfs widgets (Upcomming recordings, Recently recorded, etc)
* tablet layout support

Eventually, if I'm still interested in the project, I'll look into streaming playback, but the above feature list will keep me busy for a while And again, my goal is to replace what BMT does does today, and pull in some of what the mobile web ui does me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
In principle, you should be able to interact the iOS streaming plugin from jreichen... Though HLS on Android isn't trivial...
I'm hoping that as of 4.0 the android hls support is much better. I may only target hls support on 4.x devices if i can get it working at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Well, I've had a custom SageTV android app for almost as long as I've had my phone It was the first android app that I attempted to write, and as such, it wasn't very good... so I've never released it

Now that I've build a few apps and learns a great deal about Android, I'm revisting my old love, and attempting to re-do the application.

The ambitious feature list includes...
* Display any of the views that are currently visible in Phoenix or Gemstone (ie, it uses Phoenix APIs and VFS for building up views being sent to the device)
* Provide many of the features in BMT (fanart lookup, set default fanart, etc -- BMT will go away for me, since this will replace what I use bmt for)
* View Guide/Schedule recordings, manage favorites
* provide vfs widgets (Upcomming recordings, Recently recorded, etc)
* tablet layout support

Eventually, if I'm still interested in the project, I'll look into streaming playback, but the above feature list will keep me busy for a while And again, my goal is to replace what BMT does does today, and pull in some of what the mobile web ui does me as well.

I'm hoping that as of 4.0 the android hls support is much better. I may only target hls support on 4.x devices if i can get it working at all.
AWESOME!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
AWESOME!
I don;t know if you have any android devices or not... but if you do, I'll let you know when I have beta ready, if you'd like to test it out, provide feedback, etc.

It probably won't be very visual, since that's not my area of expertise
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I don;t know if you have any android devices or not... but if you do, I'll let you know when I have beta ready, if you'd like to test it out, provide feedback, etc.

It probably won't be very visual, since that's not my area of expertise
SWEET. lemme know.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My Sony NSZ-GS7 should be here tomorrow. Not sure now why I ordered it, but there ya go.

The reason I got this over the Vizio had a lot to do with the remote (it's nicer than Vizio's), there is an optical audio out on the box which I can make use of... and it's shipping.

So if anyone has any questions about it, let me know.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 here--I'd be interested.

Assuming there's a future in SageTV
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Sage Icon

I have ICS on my Kindle Fire, but still v6 on the server. Will upgrade one of these days. Maybe by the time you get ready for a beta. Might have ICS on the GT 10.1 by then too since it just dropped from Sammy.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.