SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Sometimes sage will do that depending on whether or not FSE is enabled. I set eventghost to find the sage window and bring it to the front. Problem solved.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's what I want to try with event ghost. All in all for the $230 I spent on it I've been pleased so far. The nice thing now is I can use my Amazon Prime in the bedroom without Playon. I have Amazon Prime built into my Panasonic and the kids love it. They've been catching up on Dirty Jobs and watched all of pushing daisy's on it.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well I did some more testing last night on the wireless. It connected at 54 meg/sec. I was able to watch the and hd show problems but as soon as my wife got online I started to get hiccups in the show. So yes I got it to work but had some problems. I may play with the router a little to see if I could tweak a little more speed. Again though the play back was smooth with no tearing which is the big thing for me. This will give me a fall back if one of the extenders dies.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

A3500 not working well at all - Please help

Well I put together the A3500 -- and my HD movies (only use HD) are unwatchable. Here is what I have.

A3500
Win7 x86
4 gigs memory
60g SSD
Sage Client v7
Jave 7u6
Video - EVR, Microsoft DTV-DVD, AC3 etc
Realtek 1Gbps drivers (7.61.612)
Set heap to 1g on server and client
Set network to 9K Jumbo frames
With Sage Registry setting set to large frame buffer
Connected to tv via Denon receiver via HDMI

Video is very choppy and audio is horrible -- Unintelligable!

Any ideas as to what coule be wrong? Also two HD200's work fine on the network.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
Well I put together the A3500 -- and my HD movies (only use HD) are unwatchable. Here is what I have.

A3500
Win7 x86
4 gigs memory
60g SSD
Sage Client v7
Jave 7u6

Can you install the CPU desktop gadget and report the CPU value during HD playback?

Try a monitor connected directly w VGA...
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

You say "HD movies", ripped or recorded by SageTV? I have no ripped videos.

I have three of these and all work well with HD or SD recordings. I have the same settings as you but in the system BIOS I did set the video memory fixed at 512K. As I remember there are three settings, 256, 512 and auto. Both fixed settings worked but I felt the 512 was better, only my impression no facts to back this up.

I did some experimenting with jumbo frames and found on the Foxconn's if implemented it would cause problems so only my server has jumbo frames set. The only thing I found this really helped was the video will start imminently otherwise there was up to a 20 second delay before video would start.

I am unfamiliar with the SageTV registry setting for large frame buffer.

I have java heap as yours on the server but the clients have 760k. Another thing I noticed is the server now rarely exceeds 400k without the HD200/300 connected.

Quote:

A3500
Win7 x86
4 gigs memory
60g SSD
Sage Client v7
Jave 7u6

Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

A3500
Win7 x86
4 gigs memory
60g SSD
Sage Client v7
Jave 7u6

You could try one of these. A reviewer mentions installing it on a A3700 model.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandon View Post
You say "HD movies", ripped or recorded by SageTV? I have no ripped videos.

I have three of these and all work well with HD or SD recordings. I have the same settings as you but in the system BIOS I did set the video memory fixed at 512K. As I remember there are three settings, 256, 512 and auto. Both fixed settings worked but I felt the 512 was better, only my impression no facts to back this up.

I did some experimenting with jumbo frames and found on the Foxconn's if implemented it would cause problems so only my server has jumbo frames set. The only thing I found this really helped was the video will start imminently otherwise there was up to a 20 second delay before video would start.

I am unfamiliar with the SageTV registry setting for large frame buffer.

I have java heap as yours on the server but the clients have 760k. Another thing I noticed is the server now rarely exceeds 400k without the HD200/300 connected.
All are ripped HD movies.
I'll check on the video memory in the bios. I'll also try the other things you mentioned that are different.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
You could try one of these. A reviewer mentions installing it on a A3700 model.
How would this intall in the A3500?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How would this intall in the A3500?
The reviewer didn't say. I suspect you have to remove the wireless network card and put that in it's place. It is what I plan to do when I get a A3500/A3700 later this year or beginning of next if I have problems.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

You did not say but are you wired or wireless? Mine are all wired back to a gig switch. I've never had much success with wireless so I don't fool with it...
Quote:
All are ripped HD movies.
I'll check on the video memory in the bios. I'll also try the other things you mentioned that are different.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
You did not say but are you wired or wireless? Mine are all wired back to a gig switch. I've never had much success with wireless so I don't fool with it...
All are wired.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Can you install the CPU desktop gadget and report the CPU value during HD playback?

Try a monitor connected directly w VGA...
I dont have any gadgets, but may intall that one and see what it says. Another good suggestion on using a computer monitor.

Wont be able to anything with it for a couple of days, but will report back when things have been tried.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

I have the a3700 and everything including blu-rays play just fine (as long as my wireless signal is good).

ATI decoder for mpeg 2
ArcSoft decoder for vc-1 and h.264
ffdshow for audio

No issues playing anything I've thrown at it so far. With an SSD (not even a good one) it is surprisingly fast. It's not as snappy as the client in my sig, but I wouldn't expect it to be.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I also use a Harmony One remotes, I picked the Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center because of the IR receiver only, it is about .5w x .375h x 1.0 long and has a fairly long wire so it can be remoted easily and importantly it only cost $15.00. I tried a couple of others purchased from Best Buy and returned. I had one of these in my junk drawer for some reason. But what I have found is the receiver is sensitive and of course the Harmony's are powerful transmitters so no need to point at the receiver, just in the general direction. This in conjunction with EventGhost is almost fool proof. The only complaint I have is there are far more buttons on the Harmony One than are available on the mentioned remote so you will have to scratch your head to come up with what function to use to get the action you want with in SageTV - but it can be done with EventGhost (and others I assume).
Can you share more on this IR setup? I bought it on your advice and am learning the setup in EventGhost. Did I indeed get the same?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1AZ0DT1851

What HW plugin did you use in EG for the receiver? "Auvision" is the one defaulted. It mostly works, but buttons sometimes are wrong (pause shows same as play button as an event).do you use MCE instead of Auvision?

Do you use the SageTV plugin for commands in EG, or keyboard emulation?

What is Sage set to in setup for the remote? MCE? None?

And for the Harmony software, what did you select in the software? SageTV HDxxx extender? MCE?

I'm sorry for tert questions (infant + typing) and would be super thankful in hearing your setup. Overall the 3500 is great (minus still figuring out H.264 rips - but that is another day).
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

That is the same one that I am using on three SageTV extender PC's.

I'm using the Auvisio VRC-1100 plugin in EventGhost. I think I tried other remote plugins but this one seemed to do the best job for me. Some keys do not map they way you may want them to work, what you can do is remap the key what you want. Example, the * key on the VRC-1100 I map to Recording Schedule. Transport keys work correctly. The Harmony One has a lot more keys than the VRC-1100 so it takes some creative thinking to get all the functions to work the way you may want. I can send you my config file so you can look through it, PM me.

Some functions within EventGhost are dual purpose, there is a Play/Pause function but there are also discrete Play and Pause functions.

Within SageTV I select no remote.

Harmony software I selected media center computer.

I glad you are having a good experience with the 3500. I have two 350's and one 3500 all working really well, never quite as good and easy as the HD2/300's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
Can you share more on this IR setup? I bought it on your advice and am learning the setup in EventGhost. Did I indeed get the same?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1AZ0DT1851

What HW plugin did you use in EG for the receiver? "Auvision" is the one defaulted. It mostly works, but buttons sometimes are wrong (pause shows same as play button as an event).do you use MCE instead of Auvision?

Do you use the SageTV plugin for commands in EG, or keyboard emulation?

What is Sage set to in setup for the remote? MCE? None?

And for the Harmony software, what did you select in the software? SageTV HDxxx extender? MCE?

I'm sorry for tert questions (infant + typing) and would be super thankful in hearing your setup. Overall the 3500 is great (minus still figuring out H.264 rips - but that is another day).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

A3500
Win7 x86
4 gigs memory
60g SSD
Sage Client v7
Jave 7u6

Go into the AMD "CCC" software, and turn off everything you can think of. That fixed my new system.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

I hate to ask such a newbie question since I've been using SageTV for 8 years, but here goes: It is my understanding that you must have a SageTV Client license for all three of those SageTV extender PCs. Is my understanding correct? Thanks.

Quote:
That is the same one that I am using on three SageTV extender PC's.

I'm using the Auvisio VRC-1100 plugin in EventGhost. I think I tried other remote plugins but this one seemed to do the best job for me. Some keys do not map they way you may want them to work, what you can do is remap the key what you want. Example, the * key on the VRC-1100 I map to Recording Schedule. Transport keys work correctly. The Harmony One has a lot more keys than the VRC-1100 so it takes some creative thinking to get all the functions to work the way you may want. I can send you my config file so you can look through it, PM me.

Some functions within EventGhost are dual purpose, there is a Play/Pause function but there are also discrete Play and Pause functions.

Within SageTV I select no remote.

Harmony software I selected media center computer.

I glad you are having a good experience with the 3500. I have two 350's and one 3500 all working really well, never quite as good and easy as the HD2/300's!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

With the Foxconn A3700 box (or 3500 probably) are any of you capable of streaming netflix (in Windoze -- not using playon or anything like that) via hardwired ethernet (no wifi) and have it display OK (no lossy/jitter/skipped frames)? I'm under the impression that the hardware is a little low-powered for that since it requires MS silverlight which I gather eats a fair amount of CPU.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
With the Foxconn A3700 box (or 3500 probably) are any of you capable of streaming netflix (in Windoze -- not using playon or anything like that) via hardwired ethernet (no wifi) and have it display OK (no lossy/jitter/skipped frames)? I'm under the impression that the hardware is a little low-powered for that since it requires MS silverlight which I gather eats a fair amount of CPU.
I have used it and it works just fine for netflix. I use the WMC interface without any issues. I'm still trying to figure out some strangeness with some blu-rays. Some of mine play perfectly, others freak out and start playing choppy. It seems to be software related. I haven't had enough time to play around with it just yet.