SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Existing dir wouldn't have been an issue in my suggested approach. I'd suggested going for completely fresh from new HD partitioning onward to make sure not only no XP or driver or Sage corruption but format or partition table corruption! It likely would have worked, but what a hassle...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Administrator

The existing dir isn't an issue with the property file either if you don't do a reinstall -- exit SageTV, delete the properties file & its backup (or at least move them to another dir), restart SageTV, new property files gets created. I was simply referring to having to delete it manually if you wish to start with a new one when/if you decide to uninstall/reinstall SageTV.

Personally, I always consider a suggestion to completely reinstall the OS a non-starter. I haven't reinstalled XP Pro since the day it came to me out of the XP beta program and don't intend to, unless my drive fails & I have to install it to get to my backups. I can't stand the fact that so much #^%$% is stored in the registry & you can't get access to all your apps until you reinstall all of them too -- not like the DOS days where reinstalling the OS didn't have any impact on existing apps sitting in their own dirs w/their own data files. Reinstalling the OS and starting from scratch isn't a 'hassle' for me -- with all my apps, it is a week's project! The registry is one of Windows' worst mistakes ever. Yes, I know about the supposed 'benefits' of wiping the OS periodically... but it just isn't worth it to me.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Sage Icon

my biggest issue with a re-install was that the system is only 6 weeks old, and I didn't know what I'd do differently. Repeating something over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity...

I have absolutely no idea how the heck I would have set a property I didn't know about to a value I didn't understand - must have been when I was playing with mlbdude's STVs.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by IVB
Repeating something over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity...
Hmmm... then I'm going to have to get checked out... I keep walking out to my mailbox & checking for mail. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't keep forgetting that I already got the mail earlier in the day...

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea how the heck I would have set a property I didn't know about to a value I didn't understand - must have been when I was playing with mlbdude's STVs.
Maybe you read those threads about SageTV not giving up focus when it is put to sleep & you decided to try out that setting (which was mentioned in those threads) and then forgot about it? Unless there is some hidden way for SageTV to do this automatically, that's all I can think of... so watch out if you ever do reinstall SageTV!

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Sage Fanatic

I totally agree generally speaking. Would you believe I have one PC that started with clean install of Win 95(a), then upgraded to 95b, then upgraded to 95c, then upgraded to 98, then upgrade to 98SE, then upgraded to WinXP Pro all with no reinstalls! It did take using Norton SystemWorks to keep it stable before XP came along. And I don't know how many sysbrd & cpu upgrades along the way plus video card upgrades and nic upgrades etc. Now that's one Registry that's really gotta be a mess! But it's currently running stable, Debi's PC now, and SageClient even works fine on it! But I still believe that sometimes it's the quickest solution, especially for a dedicated use PC.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by IVB
my biggest issue with a re-install was that the system is only 6 weeks old, and I didn't know what I'd do differently. Repeating something over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity...
Yes, install was only 6 weeks old and never worked. It wasn't just the "act" of reinstalling, but the "order" of installation when you (or was it John) listed ATI drivers last. That I've seen cause problems, ATI driver installations and other programs.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Administrator

One more reply before sleeping.

I'll amend my comments a bit: yes, a dedicated system w/1 or 2 apps wouldn't be so bad for doing a reinstall... if really needed.

And, I do have 1 Windows installation that is broken: Windows ME. My dev machine is dual boot: ME & XP. This was done solely to test my games under ME & that is all ME was used for. But, ME didn't like the Audigy card or any of Creative's software (and/or the video card?), so it will no longer boot into ME at all. Since ME isn't overly important any more, me don't care that ME won't boot.

Anyway... I hope this solves John's problem too...

- Andy
Old 06-15-2004, 04:39 AM
Sage User

I can confirm this fix does work......................

But please...............not so fast on the jubilation.....

Now I have the focus problem again, and putting sage to sleep will not allow myHTPC to regain focus so I can controll it with my remote................

I'll have to check and see a way around this without using ANOTHER program like girder.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.............but don't be surprised when the re-onstall OS idea is met with some resistance. That's usually an aswer given when then correct answer is unknown.

John
Old 06-15-2004, 05:52 AM

So it seems a simple 5 minute complete uninstall of SageTV and reinstalls of SageTV could have fixed this? Maybe something about this should be added to the FAQ?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by john f
Now I have the focus problem again, and putting sage to sleep will not allow myHTPC to regain focus so I can controll it with my remote.
Check out this thread. Essentially, if you are using the Hauppauge remote, you can simply add "{alt}{tab}" after the command to sleep SageTV. Oh -- and you may want/need to make the OS change about letting apps steal focus.

- Andy
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
So it seems a simple 5 minute complete uninstall of SageTV and reinstalls of SageTV could have fixed this? Maybe something about this should be added to the FAQ?
It is even better than that: deleting the properties file would have done it... as long as that property wasn't manually reinserted to solve the focus problem.

What exactly are you suggesting be put into the FAQ? (And, which FAQ? The thread or support page?) Deleting the properties file seems to be a generic fix for when something isn't set right but no one knows exactly what it is. I guess that could be the question...

- Andy
Old 06-15-2004, 06:51 AM

Not sure . Just seems like a lot of wasted effort on everyones part went into this problem when it shouldn't have. Is there something in the FAQ about making sure you delete the Frey folder when you do an uninstall? I could just look but am too lazy .
Old 06-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Is there something in the FAQ about making sure you delete the Frey folder when you do an uninstall?
No. The existing FAQ for that covers an upgrade where you _want_ to keep all the old settings. I guess there should be an entry for when you are reinstalling/reconfiguring in order to solve an unknown problem. I don't yet know if the main support page covers that.

I can put it on my FAQ-to-do list... unless someone else does it before I get to it.

Edit: The support FAQ mentions deleting the "Frey Technologies" folder after uninstalling, for a clean reinstall. But kny3twalker mentioned deleting the properties file too... and then reiterated the point later on. I suppose any new FAQ entry had better say it 3 or 4 times.

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 06-15-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Sage User

That may need to be clarified.as I did uninstall Sage and re-install. But I don't think I deleted out the properties file after the uninstall.

John
Old 06-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Sage Icon

To make matters worse, I deleted the directory BUT SAVED my properties file as I had put mlbdude's STV tweaks in it and didn't feel like researching what I had to do to reapply. Then, on reinstall, I overwrote the new properties file with mine.

Hence I did everything but the one thing that was needed to fix the problem.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

LOL
this is so funny now that everything is working
glad to here it is going well now

hope you find a workaround that fits well into your setup for the focus switching

maybe Opus4 can setup a FAQ on the different options maybe with stanger89's help as well

and you could just add the two situations to the FAQ where you get the active window

1 powerDVD with VMR9 (ATI version does work though)
2 changing the property (whichever it was)

Last edited by kny3twalker; 06-15-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
... add the two situations to the FAQ where you get the active window

1 powerDVD with VMR9 (ATI version does work though)
2 changing the property (whichever it was)
That property was only mentioned in a couple threads. Maybe some notes should be made in those 2 threads that it is a more dangerous setting than was originally thought! (I don't think that 1 setting needs to go in the FAQ.) I'll leave any mpeg decoder info for someone who knows what they are talking about on that subject.

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 06-15-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I won't but it would be nice for people that use powerDVD and furthermore it would be nice to explain for people not to touch that setting

maybe you could just add it at the end of the FAQ you add now fine of like a PS or sidenote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
Note: I'm working on the FAQ entry now -- regarding how to reset the SageTV installation. I'll replace this post when it is done... so I wouldn't quote this or it will look out of place later.

Just great... that probably means _everyone_ will now quote this post in its entirety...

Oh -- that property was only mentioned in a couple threads. Maybe some notes should be made in those 2 threads that it is a more dangerous setting than was originally thought! (I don't think that 1 setting needs to go in the FAQ.)

- Andy
Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Only because you said
Quote:
so I wouldn't quote this or it will look out of place later.

Last edited by stanger89; 06-15-2004 at 10:31 PM.