SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Mini PC Recommendation please?

You guys know the story ... new HD TV and caught without an ability to get an HD 300. I realize I can grab one for $400 when and if they pop up on E-bay, but for that price I am wondering if there is a full Windows 7 Mini PC out there I can use with Sage's client software. I have looked at quite a few, but thought I would throw this out there to see if there is a recommendation/reaction. Ideally, it would be something fanless and ... I know, but my TV is old ... could do component hopefully saving me the cost of a cheater box.

In case it helps, here is a sample of what I am looking at ... sample

Thanks!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

At almost half the price, have you considered an HD200? There's four of them on ebay right now...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have, but when the bidding is done they will be going for $200 or so ...about the same (as I have an extra windows license) plus I could do a fair amount more with a fully functional pc. Any exposure to any of these devices?

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am in the same boat as you - in fact I bid up to $301 on a HD200 on eBay but the seller canceled my bid because I have no history - I don't use eBay but was really wanting one.

Anyway I looked around and purchased a Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA. It has the Hudson processor and Radon HD6310 graphics and looking at the reviews most were good (74% 4 or better) so from Newegg I figured it was worth a try. All claim it will do 1080p. With a smallish 32GB SSD and 4GB memory stick it ran just a little over $250. I have a Windows 7 license removed from another PC no longer in use. Not the most stylish case but will probably be hidden anyway. It will only be used for casual browsing and SageTV.

I will get it later this week and do a very short impressions of it once up and running.

One problem with a PC client is the client license but I do have two not currently in use.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Those little foxconn units and the ones like them are supposed to be pretty good. I'd go for one of those if you don't need an optical drive.

I've been kicking around the idea to get one of those for a while. I may just have to. Let us know how it works out.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

What do you need to add to the foxconn to make it operational.
I am assuming ram, hard drive, and os.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

The one I mentioned my post above required ram, drive and OS but it seems there were other options but one thing I was trying to achieve is less noise from the box so I wanted SSD and I know Windows 7 x64 likes more than one GB or ram to work well. There are others that do include a optical drive but I didn't care about an optical drive because we use the PS3 for that.

I'll post my observations and some pictures later this week when it arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
What do you need to add to the foxconn to make it operational.
I am assuming ram, hard drive, and os.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Sage User

I've been contemplating this for a while as well. I need to have an alternative to the extenders in case one of mine dies. I do have a couple of client licenses.

The one thing that I have struggled with is the fact that I currently use the harmony remotes with my extenders. How easy / difficult is it get something similar going with a client PC? That has been the attraction of the extenders - Plug and play, and no need to retrain my wife on how to use them