SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Unhappy Read of lots of config/install/setup problems, haven't had them

Granted I've only been using Sage for about three weeks, downloaded the day R2 was released, but I've had no installation or usage issues. (Except for Client remote sometimes going to sleep requiring moving the mouse to wake it up.) SageTV installed flawlessly on the Server, with 4 PVR250s. Client installed flawlessy on the HTPC flawlessy with single PVR250, primarily for remote capability and overflow additional tuner. SageRecorder also installed flawlessly on the HTPC and setting up network encoder mode no problem 1st try following the documented instructions. All, including Recorder, took the license keys no problem. Recorded about to a TB so far without a single glitch, zero Server hangs or crashes. Playback on the HTPC Client with never a crash. Maybe it's because both Server and main HTPC Client were built to be dedicated PVR solution and they aren't used for general computing. Coult it be that many times "problems" attributed to Sage are really problems caused by other applications and uses of the system in question? Is it because I didn't try to mix or use cheaper tuners? Is it because I used Nforce2 chipset AMD cpu solution? Or was/am I just lucky?

Regardless, I'm very pleased with SageTV performance. Outstanding product IMO.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

im using an nf2 and amd solution, im sure the stable board (for the most part) and the nice chip have something to do with it, but im sure its just frey's code team at work, they did a great job with 1.4's stability and for the most part 2.0 is great too. im still fighting with this delayed ui from a remote thing, but all in all im pleased.

ive noticed most of my problems show up when i modify settings, and try different decoders, i almost change a setting (not all just a few) and then restart sage.. when studio comes around, one of the things i think i wanna do is a 'reload' button of sorts.

but as long as im not inside changing a bunch of stuff, and just using it normally, as a media center, its perfectly fine.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use an NForce setup with an Athlon XP2400 cpu and 2 PVR-250's and it runs pretty much flawlessly.

I used to have lots of weird issues using a different combination using a Via chipset. Can't get over the difference switching systems made.

Only problem I ever have with either the Client, or the main box is the Hauppauge remote once in awhile forgets it is a remote. I think it just loses focus. Wiggle the mouse button on the keyboard and it usually will come back. Overall I think it is a great program. Does what it is supposed to do, and does it well.

Randy
Old 06-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Read of lots of config/install/setup problems, haven't had them

Quote:
Originally posted by mdmint
Granted I've only been using Sage for about three weeks, downloaded the day R2 was released, but I've had no installation or usage issues. (Except for Client remote sometimes going to sleep requiring moving the mouse to wake it up.) SageTV installed flawlessly on the Server, with 4 PVR250s. Client installed flawlessy on the HTPC flawlessy with single PVR250, primarily for remote capability and overflow additional tuner. SageRecorder also installed flawlessly on the HTPC and setting up network encoder mode no problem 1st try following the documented instructions. All, including Recorder, took the license keys no problem. Recorded about to a TB so far without a single glitch, zero Server hangs or crashes. Playback on the HTPC Client with never a crash. Maybe it's because both Server and main HTPC Client were built to be dedicated PVR solution and they aren't used for general computing. Coult it be that many times "problems" attributed to Sage are really problems caused by other applications and uses of the system in question? Is it because I didn't try to mix or use cheaper tuners? Is it because I used Nforce2 chipset AMD cpu solution? Or was/am I just lucky?

Regardless, I'm very pleased with SageTV performance. Outstanding product IMO.
First of all you failed to mention that your original plan included mixing a 350 with the 250 cards which at that time would have given you much different results. This is the first problem that I was burned by.

You also got lucky with the AMD cpu solution, if would publish what equipment they test with would probably solve a lot the problems. When I build a client system to get around the mixed card problem, I got a D865GBFL motherboard. Now it appears I have encountered another problem that may be specific to this board. If I make the mistake of playing a program to the end it completely locks up the CPU. This of course disrupts any recordings in progress.

I do like the SageTV software, but think there are still too many hardward issues which new users may not know about. Sage should warn new users about outstanding issues.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

Re: Re: Read of lots of config/install/setup problems, haven't had them

Quote:
Originally posted by carlgar
First of all you failed to mention that your original plan included mixing a 350 with the 250 cards which at that time would have given you much different results. This is the first problem that I was burned by.
Actually not quite true. My original plans did call for multiple PVR250s for the Server and a single PVR350 for the HTPC Client, not mixed in same box. I switched to PVR250 in the Client after learning pros and cons of PVR350 output method and how to output component HDTV. (PVR350 was returned unopened.)
Quote:
You also got lucky with the AMD cpu solution, if would publish what equipment they test with would probably solve a lot the problems. When I build a client system to get around the mixed card problem, I got a D865GBFL motherboard. Now it appears I have encountered another problem that may be specific to this board. If I make the mistake of playing a program to the end it completely locks up the CPU. This of course disrupts any recordings in progress.
Yes, I got "lucky" since I wanted to use AMD and chose NF2 because of it's feature set and "researching" reviews, including here. Part of my luck was do to diligence in planning stage.
Quote:
I do like the SageTV software, but think there are still too many hardward issues which new users may not know about. Sage should warn new users about outstanding issues.
Agreed 100%. It would be great if a comprehensive tested hardware compatibility list was available.
I was thinking just last night how TIVO and ReplayTV have it so much easier. THEY pick the compatible hardware and you can't change it. (not easily anyway) And they pretty much lock down the software so you can't screw it up either. It seems that often Sage system builders are just trying to use whatever old PC is lying around, not necessarily the best recipe for high success rate. And Sage systems also often called upon for every other computing purpose, not just PVR.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Re: Re: Read of lots of config/install/setup problems, haven't had them

Quote:
Originally posted by mdmint
Actually not quite true. My original plans did call for multiple PVR250s for the Server and a single PVR350 for the HTPC Client, not mixed in same box. I switched to PVR250 in the Client after learning pros and cons of PVR350 output method and how to output component HDTV. (PVR350 was returned unopened.)
I was going by your very first post. In the Jumping in building 4 tuner PVR, I'm sure I'll need help! thread you ask about 4 PVR's in one server. Perhaps, I misinterpreted this statement.
Quote:
]
Yes, I got "lucky" since I wanted to use AMD and chose NF2 because of it's feature set and "researching" reviews, including here. Part of my luck was do to diligence in planning stage.
Agreed 100%. It would be great if a comprehensive tested hardware compatibility list was available.
Maybe this is due to a difference in backgrounds. Since you have a hardware background you may know about hardware issues I don't. I come from a software background and accept that the computers should work the same. It is still not known if these problems are really hardware issues. The mixed card issue is now corrected and no hardware changes were required. It is possible that the software is just working around a hardware problem.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Wait, I stand corrected. My original thought was to use very long high end (75' or so) audio/video out cables to home theater room. This did originally plan for PVR250s AND PVR350 in same box. Yes, it would have be disastrous. Not to mention insane, considering 1M AV cables I use run upwards of $100 each! Separate HTPC made much more sense, thanks to this forum.

And Frey did have a glaring omission on their sales site. NO MENTION OF PVR250/PVR350 (-15/-16 chipset) issues IRRC! Not having general systems compatibility is one thing, but not mentioning the main two hardware products they sell as being imcompatible is another...