SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage User

WD live playback

has anyone had any issues playing back recordings on a wd live? i have choppy audio only when played thru the wd live. i've tried both mkv and avi formats. recordings playback find thru sage, placeshifter clients and vlc. any ideas anyone out there in sage land?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Nope. In fact my WDTV Live Plus HD has been flawless now for over a year.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Sage User

same here KryptoNyte , but i did make a report awhile ago about something like that have you updated ...and if it still does it then your coding is incompatible good enough to play but skip
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdees960 View Post
has anyone had any issues playing back recordings on a wd live? i have choppy audio only when played thru the wd live. i've tried both mkv and avi formats. recordings playback find thru sage, placeshifter clients and vlc. any ideas anyone out there in sage land?
For some reason, nothing I've recorded from QAM via my HDHR tuner and SageTV seems to play on my WDL+. Other recordings made OTA play just fine, and the HDHR recordings play fine everywhere else I've tried (HD300, HD100, VLC, mplayer). Any clue how to go about debugging this?

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
For some reason, nothing I've recorded from QAM via my HDHR tuner and SageTV seems to play on my WDL+. Other recordings made OTA play just fine, and the HDHR recordings play fine everywhere else I've tried (HD300, HD100, VLC, mplayer). Any clue how to go about debugging this?

Drew
Actually, I take that back. Some things play... The pattern seems to be that shows with a spanish audio track in addition to the english track does not play. I wonder if this is a known bug in the WDTV f/w?

Drew
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

hey guys,

i am wondering how the WD Live TV works as a workable extender? do you guys have some input on the limitations of the WD Live, and possibly some screenshots of what the ui looks like?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
hey guys,

i am wondering how the WD Live TV works as a workable extender? do you guys have some input on the limitations of the WD Live, and possibly some screenshots of what the ui looks like?
I access my recordings via a share. The UI is primitive, "just a list of files", roughly what you'd get from typing "dir" at a cmd prompt. When playing videos, It doesn't seem to have a ffwd/rewind "skip" mode that I can find, ffwd/rew is just "2x / 4x / 8x" fast motion, so skipping commercials is a PITA. Not sure if it can use an EDL list.

I'm pretty disappointed with this thing so far, and would rather tolerate the slowness of my old HD100 than deal with the craptastic interface on it. Especially since it does not play ~25% of my recordings.

If only I could get the HD300 f/w to run on it. It is nearly the same hardware. Sigh..

Drew
Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
I access my recordings via a share. The UI is primitive, "just a list of files", roughly what you'd get from typing "dir" at a cmd prompt. When playing videos, It doesn't seem to have a ffwd/rewind "skip" mode that I can find, ffwd/rew is just "2x / 4x / 8x" fast motion, so skipping commercials is a PITA. Not sure if it can use an EDL list.

I'm pretty disappointed with this thing so far, and would rather tolerate the slowness of my old HD100 than deal with the craptastic interface on it. Especially since it does not play ~25% of my recordings.

If only I could get the HD300 f/w to run on it. It is nearly the same hardware. Sigh..

Drew
Thats exactly what i was looking for. Thanks Drew! Im pretty sure i am moving forward with building a Roku app. seems like a bit cleaner ui, and to be honest one of the lowest price points i have seen for a viable sage front end.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage User

it looks as though the guys over at mediaportal were having similar issues. does anyone have a decent MPEG analyzer setup? i could upload a couple recordings to rapidshare or something if need be.

it starts at about page 23 or so in that thread

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/me...0/index30.html

Last edited by mrdees960; 12-06-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thats exactly what i was looking for. Thanks Drew! Im pretty sure i am moving forward with building a Roku app. seems like a bit cleaner ui, and to be honest one of the lowest price points i have seen for a viable sage front end.
I chose this thing over a Roku partially because I thought that Roku did not play MPEG2-PS files (Eg, all OTA / QAM / Cablecard recordings). I thought Roku only handled MPEG4. Has that changed?

Drew
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Sage Icon

Not to my knowledge. Roku is still limited with what it can playback, but with the sage transcoding being quite good i think it will be fine.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. Roku is still limited with what it can playback, but with the sage transcoding being quite good i think it will be fine.
Ah, well... that's disappointing. I thought that maybe the newer Rokus handled MPEG2-PS.

It is looking more & more like when my HDx00s die, I will be going back to media PCs for frontends.

Drew
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

yeah it might do mpeg2-PS, but i dont' know for sure. i did a quick search on the roku2 but didnt' find anything concrete.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

I am currently trying the new WD Live Streaming Media Player. It has a "Media Library" function where it will look up your recordings on the TVDB if you have the season and episode numbers as part of the file name (kind of like how Plex does it). So, it can be better than just a list of files. It still doesn't have any skip forward/back functionality but I hope they can add that in the next month or so (before I need to return it to still get my money back).