SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
(i think i have to go back and add some ports to the firewall, also i'm only up to page 39 of this thread)
Here is a link to some setup instructions on XP. Yes you need to add the ports to the firewall manually... and also make sure upnp is enabled and also has an exemption in the firewall
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 02-24-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Sage Fanatic

hooray, i finished the entire thread!

but now my eyes/brain are too fuzzy to do anything but vegetate the rest of the night...................but i'll be working on this in a day or 2.

plan is to move to W7 from XP eventually (all other pc in the house are W7 now) but i've been reluctant to mess with a perfectly operating sageTV system, particularly since the hd-pvr are working perfectly and i have firewire channel change to the STBs (i believe the drivers don't exist for W7).

i'll also test that MCE on my office PC can use the prime (prime, all other tuners and sagetv pc are all in the basement on a gigabit lan)
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
plan is to move to W7 from XP eventually (all other pc in the house are W7 now) but i've been reluctant to mess with a perfectly operating sageTV system, particularly since the hd-pvr are working perfectly and i have firewire channel change to the STBs (i believe the drivers don't exist for W7).
You can use firewire channel changing with Win7 x32, just not x64.

I'm still wondering about my green blocking and audio blip problem. Has anyone else seen that? Oddly its only happened on AMCHD so far.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

Also Win8 x32 works fine too.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

I need a couple brave souls either using the VLC method or needing to for some early stage testing or a new DirectShow based capture method.

I had to write two new filters to get it working, so it's quite possible that there will be problems, but the benefit is that (if it works) you get a remuxed TS/PS with all the A/V streams in the original TS. Should fall somewhere in b/w the native and VLC methods when it comes to tuning speed.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I need a couple brave souls either using the VLC method or needing to for some early stage testing or a new DirectShow based capture method.

I had to write two new filters to get it working, so it's quite possible that there will be problems, but the benefit is that (if it works) you get a remuxed TS/PS with all the A/V streams in the original TS. Should fall somewhere in b/w the native and VLC methods when it comes to tuning speed.
Happy to help. How can I help?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am also looking for even braver STV users who have also experimented with XBMC and NextPVR using SageDCT with their Cetons to see if babgvants update helps playback in XBMC.

Martin
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
I am also looking for even braver STV users who have also experimented with XBMC and NextPVR using SageDCT with their Cetons to see if babgvants update helps playback in XBMC.

Martin
Double in . I have a Ceton and have several raspberry pis for xbmc and am really trying to figure out a way to get native pvr working like npvr vs the stopgap SageTV addon I helped develop.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Happy to help. How can I help?
What's your username on babgvant.com?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
You can use firewire channel changing with Win7 x32, just not x64.
that is great, i didn't know that.
do you have a link to the win7 32 bit drivers, or are they already part of the OS installation?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
that is great, i didn't know that.
do you have a link to the win7 32 bit drivers, or are they already part of the OS installation?
Make sure to Install the windows legacy drivers for your firewire card.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think you need to do anything particularly special to get firewire channel changing to work on Win7x32 compared to WinXP. Install your firewire drivers for your card, and then install the STBFirewire drivers (make sure your STB is supported). I strongly recommend using FWChannelProxy to to do the actual channel changing in Sage. It's so much easier than the other ways to do it.

By the way, I'm still wondering, what problems does the VLC method solve? I'd like to know if that might solve my audio blips and green blocking problems.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Well I'm going to go cautiously here. I'm getting the W8 Pro 32bit upgrade (cheaper than W7, though I really don't want/need W8) but I plan to clone my hard drive with XP on it so I have the original XP drive in case I fubar something. Then I'll upgrade the cloned drived some day when I have a lot of time.

Thanks for pointing me to the 32 bit version with MCE!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Good luck. I don't think there's too many people running Win8 around here, but it probably should work (mostly) like Windows 7.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I don't think you need to do anything particularly special to get firewire channel changing to work on Win7x32 compared to WinXP. Install your firewire drivers for your card, and then install the STBFirewire drivers (make sure your STB is supported). I strongly recommend using FWChannelProxy to to do the actual channel changing in Sage. It's so much easier than the other ways to do it.

By the way, I'm still wondering, what problems does the VLC method solve? I'd like to know if that might solve my audio blips and green blocking problems.
Most of the posts on pages 50-60 discuss the issues that the VLC method addressed. Mostly Comcast subscribers and we would see live TV/recordings from a handful of channels that were unwatchable in Sage but play fine in any external program. In my case, a bad recording would also cause my extender to hard lock.

Started happening to me a couple weeks ago. Threw me off at first because it coincided with me resetting my lineups due to an old copied lineup that was no longer getting updates. I hadn't updated SageDCT since installing 2.2 since it had been flawless. It's too early to say for sure, but it sure seems like using the VLC option has fixed things for me and made channel changes faster.

Don't know if it will help you - it sounds more like a signal quality/strength issue. My old HDHR would get green blocking when signal quality got down around 90%.

OTOH -its really easy to try if you already have VLC installed:
1) check the VLC box
2) enter the path to the vlc.exe
3) I had to create a VLC rule in windows firewall, YMMV

Thanks for SageDCT, Babgvant !
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage User

VLC/etc. Configurable on a per Channel Basis?

So I notice that this particular thread is specific for the HDHomeRun, but I use a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and have been doing a little catching up on SageDCT developments.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that a single channel on my Comcast lineup, TruTV HD, began locking up the extender when tuning to it. After reading around a little, I moved from SageDCT 2.2.0 to 2.6.0 to try the new VLC method. As expected, the offending channel was watchable in SageTV as a result of SageDCT passing the native file through VLC for remuxing. For me, utilizing the VLC method resulted in slower channel changing speeds across the board, so I went back to the native method (keeping SageDCT at version 2.6.0) and disabled TruTV HD in the EPG lineup. Since then I have also noticed that babgvant is working on a new set of remuxing filters and a 2.7.0 version of SageDCT.

Since I would like to get all the channels that I pay for, it leads to a question: is it possible to have SageDCT honor a configurable filter on a per channel basis, so that you could specify alternative filters, such as VLC, etc., for only those channels that pose problems in their native format? Is this currently supported in version 2.6.0 or easy to implement in future versions?

Just wondering,
Brian
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlewis View Post
So I notice that this particular thread is specific for the HDHomeRun, but I use a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and have been doing a little catching up on SageDCT developments.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that a single channel on my Comcast lineup, TruTV HD, began locking up the extender when tuning to it. After reading around a little, I moved from SageDCT 2.2.0 to 2.6.0 to try the new VLC method. As expected, the offending channel was watchable in SageTV as a result of SageDCT passing the native file through VLC for remuxing. For me, utilizing the VLC method resulted in slower channel changing speeds across the board, so I went back to the native method (keeping SageDCT at version 2.6.0) and disabled TruTV HD in the EPG lineup. Since then I have also noticed that babgvant is working on a new set of remuxing filters and a 2.7.0 version of SageDCT.

Since I would like to get all the channels that I pay for, it leads to a question: is it possible to have SageDCT honor a configurable filter on a per channel basis, so that you could specify alternative filters, such as VLC, etc., for only those channels that pose problems in their native format? Is this currently supported in version 2.6.0 or easy to implement in future versions?

Just wondering,
Brian
No, it's not easy.

If you want to participate in the 2.7 testing let me know your username on babgvant.com and I'll add you.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Sage Icon

The idea is not a bad one - would it be possible to implement a simpler version of the idea that reads a file containg a comma delimited list of the channels to enable the VLC option only?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamm View Post
The idea is not a bad one - would it be possible to implement a simpler version of the idea that reads a file containg a comma delimited list of the channels to enable the VLC option only?
Most likely VLC will be removed in a future version. I added a new method for capturing/remuxing via ffmpeg. Since it is built in (no external processes to call) config is much simpler and it is almost as fast as the native RTP->DUMP method.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage Icon

that sounds excellent. is that the beta? happy to help.

my babgvant.com id is the same as here.