SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Thanks will. If you purchase this setup please post your results. The HD100 in our bedroom is about to go Tango Uniform so I'll be in the market for something soon.
Tango Uniform - LOL, been many a year since I heard that. No one I work with "gets" that lingo.

ooh rah
Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Tango Uniform - LOL, been many a year since I heard that. No one I work with "gets" that lingo.

ooh rah

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'd of thought you'd already be all over doing that dave, just for fun, just to be able to play with your many MANY images.. ;-)
No, not yet. I have a 'test' computer which is identical to my SageTV computer. I could test the alternatives to SageTV, but from what I read so far, it looks like they are inferior or are unstable. I could install a SageTV client on the spare computer and see what happens after 21 days, if it can be rolled back over and over. I could also install a clone of the SageTV software and see if it behaves like a client if the recording is disabled but only uses the library from the main SageTV computer. Too bad I did not think SageTV could suddenly be sold, but that's the way those things happen. Sometimes I buy duplicate products that I really like because of the fear that the product will be screwed up or go away in the future. I did not prepare well enough, since I did not buy the SageTV client software.

If the normal SageTV software can be used like a 'playback' only client or the client can be used and rolled back every 21 days, then I can live with that, even if I have to roll it back every 21 days for a decade. Hopefully there isn't a 'time bomb' in the software where the date kills the software. I don't think it 'calls home' to renew it functionality. So, I think it will work for many years. Eventually Windows 7 support will be dropped, so it may have to run on Windows 7 for a decade or two if there isn't a better replacement.

I haven't been 'all over it' yet because it's summer in Minnesota (which are very short) and I've been outside working in the garden areas. The next rainy day I'll set up something.

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Reading through this thread I find myself wondering why we all suddenly want to expand our systems when we had so much time before the buyout.

I think it is funny that I was about to purchase some extenders or client license's when this happened, now I wish I would have. Live and learn I guess.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
No, not yet. I have a 'test' computer which is identical to my SageTV computer. I could test the alternatives to SageTV, but from what I read so far, it looks like they are inferior or are unstable. I could install a SageTV client on the spare computer and see what happens after 21 days, if it can be rolled back over and over. I could also install a clone of the SageTV software and see if it behaves like a client if the recording is disabled but only uses the library from the main SageTV computer. Too bad I did not think SageTV could suddenly be sold, but that's the way those things happen. Sometimes I buy duplicate products that I really like because of the fear that the product will be screwed up or go away in the future. I did not prepare well enough, since I did not buy the SageTV client software.

If the normal SageTV software can be used like a 'playback' only client or the client can be used and rolled back every 21 days, then I can live with that, even if I have to roll it back every 21 days for a decade. Hopefully there isn't a 'time bomb' in the software where the date kills the software. I don't think it 'calls home' to renew it functionality. So, I think it will work for many years. Eventually Windows 7 support will be dropped, so it may have to run on Windows 7 for a decade or two if there isn't a better replacement.

I haven't been 'all over it' yet because it's summer in Minnesota (which are very short) and I've been outside working in the garden areas. The next rainy day I'll set up something.

Dave
I'm guessing you'd have to capture your image before the install, or at least before first run of the client. You could probably put your .properties file in place, so after deploying the image, you do a simple install of the trial (which would not overwrite your .properties file), and be good to go for another 20 days... maybe.. ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
System: Shuttle XS35GT
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 40GB
RAM: CORSAIR 2GB
Remote Control: TiVo Slide
VESA Mount: Shuttle PV01
I am debating right now if I should build this client or pay $300 for an HD300 on eBay.

I really would like to build a Client (I have an extra license) but I am concerned w/performance. The only PC client I have built so far is on an old laptop with integrated graphics. It works but HD isn't smooth like with an extender and I can't get sound to work properly on DVDs or Bluray MKV files.

What is the experience like with a computer that can actually handle HD? Any limitations compared to an extender?

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Another alternative that people might want to consider would be a ps3. It has the right hardware, and it's a decent price, but getting any kind of software on it would take a bit of tinkering.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
Another alternative that people might want to consider would be a ps3. It has the right hardware, and it's a decent price, but getting any kind of software on it would take a bit of tinkering.
I disagree. Even if you could figure out how to get Linux installed, drivers would be a nightmare. I have a first-gen PS3 but have lost the "install other OS" option because I wanted Netflix and had to update the OS.

In addition, the PS3 is large, hot, and noisy no comparison for a slim and silent HD300.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I disagree. Even if you could figure out how to get Linux installed, drivers would be a nightmare. I have a first-gen PS3 but have lost the "install other OS" option because I wanted Netflix and had to update the OS.

In addition, the PS3 is large, hot, and noisy no comparison for a slim and silent HD300.
There are already drivers for a decent amount of the hardware on the PS3 now, due to people being able to add back the "Other OS" option.

Also, the PS3 slim isn't as hot, and even the older models aren't that noisy. Granted, it's nowhere near a HD300, but we can't buy those anymore, but you can still be a PS3.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There was a linux client for the ps3 being developed a long time ago, but it was scrapped because you can't get access to the video hardware so video playback was unacceptable. If we could have gotten that to work then yes, we'd have a pretty awesome extender. Too bad sony locks it down. You can't even install linux anymore.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
... even the older models aren't that noisy...
Mine's pretty noisy. If I just turn it on, and let it idle, the fan ramps up to where you can hear it across the house!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Sage Icon

Wouldn't the client computer also require a USB-UIRT for receiving the IR commands from the remote control?

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
There was a linux client for the ps3 being developed a long time ago, but it was scrapped because you can't get access to the video hardware so video playback was unacceptable. If we could have gotten that to work then yes, we'd have a pretty awesome extender. Too bad sony locks it down. You can't even install linux anymore.
Do some searches, there have been some significant advances lately thanks to the private key being released.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I am debating right now if I should build this client or pay $300 for an HD300 on eBay.

I really would like to build a Client (I have an extra license) but I am concerned w/performance. The only PC client I have built so far is on an old laptop with integrated graphics. It works but HD isn't smooth like with an extender and I can't get sound to work properly on DVDs or Bluray MKV files.

What is the experience like with a computer that can actually handle HD? Any limitations compared to an extender?
I am almost all HTPCs and as long as you by a decent Video card with HDMI than playback should be flawless regardless of old hardware. Most of my HTPCs are older AMD X2s with only 2GB of RAM. I would also go with a passively cooled video card, should be around $50. Windows 7 is a must.

Your real issues is making it quiet. A lot of people want these small atom boxes but they still have tiny high speed fans. I prefer a full size case and use 120mm slow moving fans. The power supply ends up being the only thing you can hear at all and a decent one is almost silent.

If you setup the HTPC to go to sleep when you are not using it then power usage is just not that be a deal. If you really want a low power machine I would not pick the Atom\Ion option but go with the new AMD E-350 APU. I would go with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856176025

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I am almost all HTPCs and as long as you by a decent Video card with HDMI than playback should be flawless regardless of old hardware. Most of my HTPCs are older AMD X2s with only 2GB of RAM. I would also go with a passively cooled video card, should be around $50. Windows 7 is a must.

Your real issues is making it quiet. A lot of people want these small atom boxes but they still have tiny high speed fans. I prefer a full size case and use 120mm slow moving fans. The power supply ends up being the only thing you can hear at all and a decent one is almost silent.

If you setup the HTPC to go to sleep when you are not using it then power usage is just not that be a deal. If you really want a low power machine I would not pick the Atom\Ion option but go with the new AMD E-350 APU. I would go with something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856176025
Or this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856173023

The Giada has a remote but no SPDIF out (might not be a problem for most?)
it's also super slim.

The Zotac has Optical SPDIF out but no remote (it's chunkier, but has a VESA mount included)

VERY curious if someone has an e350 as a client and how it is working? I found a thread on the Zotac forum where a sage user GaryK had sage but haven't got a response from him as to how it is working out.

Oh and I've read if you want to go linux you want an nvidia video chip as intel and AMD/ATI linux drivers are second rate compared to nvidia. I am planning on windows at this point so not an issue.

Does anyone have an E350 and how is working for you??
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am continuing to do research of a nettop solution for our HD300 shortage (the eBay prices are not worth it).

I came across this computer: Xstreamer Ultra. It seems almost too good to be true (scroll to the bottom of the page for all the specs).

I haven't found any reviews online besides a mention by Engadgetat CES 2011.

Has anyone used this or have any experience with the company?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I am continuing to do research of a nettop solution for our HD300 shortage (the eBay prices are not worth it).

I came across this computer: Xstreamer Ultra. It seems almost too good to be true (scroll to the bottom of the page for all the specs).

I haven't found any reviews online besides a mention by Engadgetat CES 2011.

Has anyone used this or have any experience with the company?
You're booting off the USB stick and loading Ubuntu. There is no internal hard drive. So if you wanted to run Windows you would need to buy the OS ($150) and find out if it supports an internal drive or use an external boot drive.

If you boot off the USB stick then your only option would be to run Placeshifter. But Placeshifter doesn't support playing back ripped DVDs. Seems a little limiting to me. And to remove the limits you would need to add probably US $200. (OS and drive.) The advertised price including shipping and vat is $448.86 US. Not that competitive I don't think. If I'm spending $650 for a client I can get something more powerful for less.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

This is a better deal. Less memory, no remote, no hdmi or mini keyboard, but it is over $200 less.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Uh...$350 for the unit itself. No thanks.

Can I suggest the Shuttle XS35. There is an ION version for about $240 (maybe get it on sale). Load up W7 and you gots yourself a fanless extender for $400 (once you add SSD, memory, OS, IR etc.).

The Giada cube was also on sale for $150 a couple of weeks back. Might be good.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious if there are any new deals (lowest price) for a mini PC that can handle 1080p AVC/VC1 decoding with HDMI and SPDIF optical out 5.1 channel (prebuilt). The only thing I'd be willing to add to the cost is the OS and USB-UIRT for a remote control.

Edit: It seems like heatvent suggested, the XS35GT V2 is relatively popular. I would prefer to buy it with a small SD drive and RAM builtin (with or without an OS). It seems to be about the same price (with everything included) as an HD300 on ebay.

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 08-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.