SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Sage

A little more info

Not much, first thing which you anyone reading this probably already saw is the article on GeekTonic that has responses that I myself created to questions Brent Evans submitted. That is here: http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html

Also, we did re-open the support request page today to make it clear we are still providing support. You can get there from the link on the home page of the forums, or here: http://sagetv.com/request.html

Our return policy is still valid as well (which is 30 days, just contact the email on your receipt from SageTV....don't want to post it here for spam reasons....or just contact sagetv-dev@google.com since that one is already out there).

Thanks again for all the support over the years. Sorry for the gaps in communication; but as you may guess, I can't just tell you anything you want to know due to NDAs with Google. I am doing all I can to try to keep our existing user base happy, and Google is very supportive of those efforts. And of course thanks to all of you who still got my back. Much appreciated. I've always felt honored by the support the significant majority of the community gives us.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the little update.

I wish you the best of luck at Google. In spite of the potential headaches all of this gives me, it really does sound like a great opportunity for you. I hope you guys come out with something great... again!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Sage Icon

OK, NDA's and all, I understand. Just one question that maybe you can answer, maybe.

Will my current and significant investment in SageTV be able to play a useful part in the Google/Sage future you envision or am I going to have to throw it out and start over with whatever is coming?

This is the real question that is bothering most of us. An answer to this would not reveal much of anything about what Google/Sage is planning but an answer would allow us to have a sense of what we should do going forward. I, personally, am on the verge of making large investments in my house for home automation, media distribution and ethernet wiring and this move puts everything in limbo. I'm not made of money and it's critically important I make good decisions now even if it means deciding to wait another year.

S
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Sage Icon

My Sage system of 6 years will stop working on the next server reboot.
Because I was in the midst of trying Sage 7 for HD with HD-PVR. It works.

I cannot purchase the Sage 6 to 7 upgrade. I cannot go back to Sage 6 after investing lots in HD gear and cable TV boxes.

So the server will stop working any time now.

Google/Sage needs to provide/sell upgrade licenses for such situations.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
OK, NDA's and all, I understand. Just one question that maybe you can answer, maybe.

Will my current and significant investment in SageTV be able to play a useful part in the Google/Sage future you envision or am I going to have to throw it out and start over with whatever is coming?

This is the real question that is bothering most of us. An answer to this would not reveal much of anything about what Google/Sage is planning but an answer would allow us to have a sense of what we should do going forward. I, personally, am on the verge of making large investments in my house for home automation, media distribution and ethernet wiring and this move puts everything in limbo. I'm not made of money and it's critically important I make good decisions now even if it means deciding to wait another year.

S
We have five Tivos in the house - all with Lifetimes. If Tivo goes belly-up or merges with another technology, then it's bye-bye to my "lifetime" purchases... aka end of investment. Let's hope for the best, but plan for complete disaster
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I am doing all I can to try to keep our existing user base happy, and Google is very supportive of those efforts.
I think that's all we can ask, Jeff. I think you understand that SageTV succeeded because of your talent and vision, no one doubts that. But that's only half of it, the other half is this community that you started. And you have to thank all the individuals who logged in countless hours and posts to contribute one way or another to help SageTV become a better product, or holding other people's hands and patiently walking them step by step to get SageTV working, solving whatever frustrations that they encountered. But everything starts and ends with you, so be proud that you created something wonderful in SageTV and this community, and it is shared to the entire world.
Quote:
And of course thanks to all of you who still got my back. Much appreciated. I've always felt honored by the support the significant majority of the community gives us.
Thank you, and best of luck to you. I can't wait to see what you will do next.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 06-21-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Sage Expert

The problem is that users won't be happy until they understand path forward. For now this community reached its peak. We cannot expand since there is no more licenses and no more hardware. We are left to maintain the status quo of our setups because we cannot update, upgrade, expand. This situation is not sustainable for very long time...

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. Also, thank you for creating such wonderful products that is/was SageTV, and providing the top notch support that came with it.

All the recent hysteria aside I think most of us here will be watching with great interest to see what you and your crew at Google come up with in the (hopefully near) future. With your teams talents and Googles backing, it's got to be a winner!

I wish you good luck in the new venture!

Bobby

P.S. If in the future you ever find an extra HD300 lying in the back of your closet that you don't need, shoot me an email!!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post

Answer is here :
http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html

SageTV Software as we know it – Is There a Future?

I asked the obvious question, Will the software & hardware we know as SageTV exist in any form post acquisition? The answer, as expected is “we cannot comment at this time.”

Jeff can not answer that yet.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Sage User

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Would you be able to tell me (us) if SageTV will again sell its current software / hardware at some point in the future? I desperately need licenses and extenders... Or should I go to Apple / Microsoft?

The point I guess is that it is obvious that the SageTV skills are going to make it in some Google products, but that will be released in a far away future (at least a year from now).

Existing SageTV users that desperately need some new stuff have now two alternatives: Wait for SageTV to reopen sales (which might never happen - we don't know) or fly to the competition - which have mature solutions on the market today.

I think it would be in Google's best interest (both short and long term) to reopen the SageTV store so that people could continue using it. If the future Google product released is compatible in any shape or form with actual stuff (Server, extenders, etc) the current userbase - however small - would be natural converts.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for saying what you can Jeff. Your communications throughout all of this (and the fact I see you're still reading these insane forum threads) show me that you do have the community in mind, and are indeed trying to make this the best situation possible not only for those behind SageTV, but for the community.

Congratulations again, thanks for making SageTV a part of my home for the past 7 years, and best of luck to you and the rest of the team in the future.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I think that's all we can ask, Jeff. I think you understand that SageTV succeeded because of your talent and vision, no one doubts that. But that's only half of it, the other half is this community that you started. And you have to thank all the individuals who logged in countless hours and posts to contribute one way or another to help SageTV become a better product, or holding other people's hands and patiently walking them step by step to get SageTV working, solving whatever frustrations that they encountered. But everything starts and ends with you, so be proud that you created something wonderful in SageTV and this community, and it is shared to the entire world.

Thank you, and best of luck to you. I can't wait to see what you will do next.
Bingo +1 and all that. and +1 to the comment above about you keeping up with this forum. I wish you the best of luck in your next project. And I think it's everyones hope that we CAN wait to see what you do next. So again hopefully when some of the dust settles those fears can be put to rest.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 06-22-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

>>And of course thanks to all of you who still got my back.
Do you still have ours?

We've built our entire home (and some businesses) entertainment hub around your software. I am fine with never upgrading. But it is wrong and immoral to leave your customer base unable to maintain their own systems by not being able to purchase new clients keys. Some, like myself, are even unable to continue now due to temporary keys expiring. We built our entertainment centers around your technology. We supported your software in the forums leaving you to sell software (ultimately to Google). Let CURRENT customers purchase either client license keys or extenders.

To do any less brings you dishonor. If Google really supported your efforts at servicing existing clients they would allow this. If your customer base were your mission when you sold to Google you would have demanded this. A page where we could enter our server License as a basis for buying more clients would be easy to develop. At least indicate to us with a "yes" or "no" your intention to do so. "No comment"? No class.

Last edited by dealsdyker; 06-22-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Not much, first thing which you anyone reading this probably already saw is the article on GeekTonic that has responses that I myself created to questions Brent Evans submitted. That is here: http://www.geektonic.com/2011/06/wha...mers-post.html

Also, we did re-open the support request page today to make it clear we are still providing support.

First of all, Congrats. I've been here for less than a year, but you guys have always been extremely helpful. I am glad to see that you are able to reap the rewards of the work y'all have put in to Sage.

Also, thanks for not pulling the old 'cut n run' trick that many people would have. While I am disappointed to not be able to buy a couple of extenders and also nervous about not knowing the future of Sage... I understand why you have to do what you are doing. So again... congrats, and thanks for at least providing support and keeping this forum alive.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
My Sage system of 6 years will stop working on the next server reboot.
Because I was in the midst of trying Sage 7 for HD with HD-PVR. It works.

I cannot purchase the Sage 6 to 7 upgrade. I cannot go back to Sage 6 after investing lots in HD gear and cable TV boxes.

So the server will stop working any time now.

Google/Sage needs to provide/sell upgrade licenses for such situations.
I feel especially bad for people like you who are stuck in the middle of an upgrade.

Now that the support links are back up, perhaps you should send an official support request - who knows, maybe they can provide you with a work-around.

On the other hand, while Sage 7 does offer lots of improvements, and Sage 7.1 is required for Colossus support, Sage 6 did support HD. I'm not sure which features of Sage 7 you absolutely have to have for HD. So, if you really had to go back to Sage 6, you probably could. The biggest problem is that if you have been using Sage7 for a while, Wiz.bin can't be rolled back, so you would lose any changes that were made during your Sage7 trial (changes to favorite settings, watched status, etc.).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I feel especially bad for people like you who are stuck in the middle of an upgrade.

Now that the support links are back up, perhaps you should send an official support request - who knows, maybe they can provide you with a work-around.
Response to Official Support Request for the Sage 6 to 7 upgrade purchase/loan/extension was a polite "We will not do that.". Nice.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

Quote:
And of course thanks to all of you who still got my back. Much appreciated. I've always felt honored by the support the significant majority of the community gives us.
As the SageTV ship hit the iceberg and many are jumping off and freaking out, I'm one of those guys on the deck playing my instrument waiting for you to pull up in a new ship. I can't wait to be a passenger on your new ship. I have faith in your direction and vision. God’s speed Jeff and good luck!

-Greg

Last edited by polen; 06-23-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by polen View Post
As the SageTV ship hit the ice burg and many are jumping off and freaking out, I'm one of those guys on the deck playing my instrument waiting for you to pull up in a new ship. I can't wait to be a passenger on your new ship. I have faith in your direction and vision. God’s speed Jeff and good luck!

-Greg
Didn't the Titanic hit an iceberg?

I'm still recording as seamlessly as i was on Sunday, so for now i am happy with that. just need to figure out the 2 new clients/HD300s i need for the in-laws moving in...
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the update. I understand you can't say much, but you've at least given a touch of hope that we'll have something to look forward to.

I just hope it's an evolutionary change rather than a rip the guts out of my system and a whole lot of re-work on my end

Either way my SageTV purchase(s) have probably been the most satisfying tech buys I have ever made.

Hopefully we get to continue the journey forward.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Response to Official Support Request for the Sage 6 to 7 upgrade purchase/loan/extension was a polite "We will not do that.". Nice.
This disgusts me. All you need to know about the whole Google purchase right there.