SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Sage Expert

Alternatives to Extenders

Since we are creating a thread for alternative software, I think we need to start discussing alternative extenders.

We have Western Digital Live Plus which includes Netflix.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homee.../mediaplayers/

There is also Hauppauge Media MVP-HD.
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/d...diamvp-hd.html

Ideally, I would like Guide, but that may be just too much to ask for.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

You could use SJQ to reorganize the files and the use something like a boxee box (or any streamer). You just have to use the web interface to manage your recordings.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

there should be an option to make the sagetv properties files as an starting point for the xbmc/boxee filing convention with this script:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=87261&page=1

interesting to see that in this thread they mention a way to work with links to files, which would not break the sage library.
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=27897

maybe a starting point to add different extenders (boxee box, apple tv 1) to your existing setup - which would be somehow crippled though as guide and maybe livetv (?) would not be available..

would be interesting to know, how others plan to maintain the awsome functionality of sage, when we need a "plan B".

Clients: 3 x MediaMVP, 2 x HD-300, 4 x SageTV Client

Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Sage Icon

We will just have to see what tomorrow brings. I will probably be good for awhile with my current setup.

I used XBMC on my old Xbox (Still have it) I still play with it today and XXBMC has a port to the $99 AppleTV2. If you can keep the core recording function of SageTV going I think the script to convert the TV library to a XBMC friendly format could work.

The only missing component is live TV. Back in the Xbox days I had a DVB tuner that would stream live TV to the Xbox. There was even a script to change the channel. With some dev work I think that would also be possible.

Still XBMC Netflix and Hulu options are clumsily and by the time it was all ported to the AppleTV2 something better might be out there. I just hope the new Google\SageTV partnership gives us something that works a lot like SageTV.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Sage Expert

What about using a mini PC instead of an extender? Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-MAG-Inte.../dp/B0030UH2J4

Anyone have any experience with how these work with Sage client software?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

FYI, I just pinged Moxi with some questions, got this response.

Quote:
The Moxi HD DVR plays back recorded digital cable programs. With PlayOn running on your PC, Moxi also allows you to stream from sites such as Netflix, Amazon VOD, Hulu, YouTube, Rhapsody, Flickr and others, as well as video, music and photos stored on your PC. Moxi will not play ripped DVDs or BluRays.
AKA, Moxi isn't a viable path for SageTV users.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post

Have been running a custom-built ITX setup for over a year under Win7 Pro and works great. Just setup Client & P/S on an Acer Iconia tablet this AM for my daughter, and am sitting at work streaming TV over a wireless connection with P/S. Win7HP32 was installed OS.

Grant
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks Grant. Good to know. Is your custom built system using the NVIDA ION chipset? If so, is it beefy enough for BluRay playback?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage Expert

I searched for 'NVIDIA ION Blu-Ray" and the first hit was a Toms Harware article that says it plays blu-rays fine.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney View Post

I have one attached to a 42" LCD TV and it works great. All the good video and sound output options you'd want. Will play HD video fine. Quiet too. I replaced a larger mid tower with that little guy.

Overall, it's not a "zippy" interface, but it is our main interface and it's not a problem, but can be slow from time to time.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Sage User

Windows Media Center and Xboxes. I almost went this way, since I think the Media Center UI is easier to navigate than SageTV, and that's important for my house. But I wanted full PC-functionality at each TV, and Windows Media Center doesn't have a software extender...the only extender is the Xbox, and an Xbox is not a PC. If microsoft made a software extender for Windows Media Center (like the SageTV client), then I'd be all over it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Does anyone have experience with the Shuttle XS35GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16856101114)?

It's a neat little system that is around the size of an HD200 and has no fans (all passive cooled). It runs a Dual Core Atom with the latest generation ION GPU.

With how expensive HD300s are going for on fleebay you might as well build a full fledged computer/client that can do Netflix, Hulu, email, and surf the web.

I am trying to verify if the system passes digital (at least 5.1) audio via the HDMI cable. I have seen mixed info online so far...

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
The problem with looking for an extender alternative is you still need a Sage client license. If you are in the boat of either needing a client license OR an extender, you are basically SOL on your Sage setup.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
The problem with looking for an extender alternative is you still need a Sage client license. If you are in the boat of either needing a client license OR an extender, you are basically SOL on your Sage setup.
I'm fortunate to have an extra Client License. However, maybe we will get lucky and Sage will release a generic unlimited Client key into the public (that is, if Google has no interest in continuing to sell Sage software). That way we can continue to build clients and not worry about the lack of extenders .

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage Expert

The Dune HD looks super interesting.

Some Dune player models (models Dune HD Ultra, Dune HD Mini, Dune BD Prime, Dune HD Center, Dune HD Base, Dune HD Base 2.0) have a support for browsing Internet web sites directly on the player-attached TV using the built-in web browser. The web browser is not part of the main user interface of the player; it is a dedicated application, that should be launched separately (besides, the installation on an extra software package may be needed before the web browser may be used).

The web browser is based on Mozilla/Gecko web browser engine and provides a similar level of compatibility with web sites. It is quite a general purpose web browser, allowing to browse general Internet web sites (including web sites using rather advanced HTML and JavaScript features), rather than just very simple web sites or web sites specially developed for the usage with the player.

+ this http://dune-hd.com/firmware/misc/dune_folder_howto.txt
and this http://dune-hd.com/firmware/
-> Seems like possibility to use as a extender with Sage Web UI or Plugins generating the server folders in some special format

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Shuttle XS35GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16856101114)?

It's a neat little system that is around the size of an HD200 and has no fans (all passive cooled). It runs a Dual Core Atom with the latest generation ION GPU.

With how expensive HD300s are going for on fleebay you might as well build a full fledged computer/client that can do Netflix, Hulu, email, and surf the web.

I am trying to verify if the system passes digital (at least 5.1) audio via the HDMI cable. I have seen mixed info online so far...
If you get into that, let us know. I'm fortunate enough to have *three* spare SageTV client licenses, i used to have all HTPCs (in 2003, when I got into Sage), now I only have extenders. Here's hoping those license keys still work :-)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoep View Post
there should be an option to make the sagetv properties files as an starting point for the xbmc/boxee filing convention with this script:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=87261&page=1

interesting to see that in this thread they mention a way to work with links to files, which would not break the sage library.
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=27897

maybe a starting point to add different extenders (boxee box, apple tv 1) to your existing setup - which would be somehow crippled though as guide and maybe livetv (?) would not be available..

would be interesting to know, how others plan to maintain the awsome functionality of sage, when we need a "plan B".
Regarding the links, I did start a project a while ago to create friendly named links to my sagetv recordings (though this was for feeding them to Orb for streaming to my phones). Never finished it up/worked out all the bugs, but the concept works well, and should work to feed them to any network streamer. Of course, it'll only work for playback of recorded content, but it's a start. Discussed originally here.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 06-21-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 AM
SageTVaholic

My Sony Bravia with the Bravia 3 engine plays back all my Sage recordings via Windows Media Player on the Sage server. I can't schedule recordings, but as a dumb playback terminal, the Bravia does it without needing any external box. Internet hookup is either wired or wireless (with optional dongle), so it's pretty much plug and play.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I'm fortunate to have an extra Client License. However, maybe we will get lucky and Sage will release a generic unlimited Client key into the public (that is, if Google has no interest in continuing to sell Sage software). That way we can continue to build clients and not worry about the lack of extenders .
This is a good idea. By releasing an open client licence, google/sage would not be promoting or supporting new sagetv setups.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1971 View Post
This is a good idea. By releasing an open client licence, google/sage would not be promoting or supporting new sagetv setups.
Will never happen. What would they gain from this?