SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Just in case- Alternatives to SageTV

I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic, but this seems like an appropriate time to start talking about alternatives to using SageTV. Maybe it won't be necessary and Sage development will continue (or, at least, the EPG data won't go off), but I think its prudent to have some backup plans after seeing what the Yahoo purchase of Meedio did to that software.

If Sage completely shuts down, what will you do? I'm sure some will continue using Sage, using plugins to get EPG data from other sources, but I'm more curious about the people that will move to something else. I think the new Xfinity demo is looks promising, but I doubt that will be deployed anytime soon.

What are our options? I'm not necessary hooked to a PC-based setup. I have very little use for PC clients, or even Placeshifting. Mostly I just want a centralized DVR system for cable TV, 3-4 HD tuners, and about 2TB of recording space. On top of that, I still need a way to play back DVD rips, blu-rays ripped to MKVs, and music files, which doesn't necessarily have to use the same hardware/software system as the DVR system. I don't care so much about comskip, nor do I have an aversion to DRM, but I do want to be able to play my blu-ray ripped containing DTS audio and high-bitrate H.264 video without encoding them (which means Windows Media Center + XBox360s are out of the question).

I've always thought Moxi looked interesting, but I'm pretty nervous they might shut down one of these days too. I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop $800 on a 2-room Moxi setup. Plus I'd probably have to augment them with someone to play back imported video and music (since the Sage extenders are pretty painful to use in media player mode).

What other options are there?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Sage Icon

A little elbow grease and mythtv could run on the hdx00 I bet. Maybe it's time to revisit mythtv... Or linuxmce
Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Probably will have to shift over to mythtv as well. I have tested the R5000 patch and it does seem to function...

-pd
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM

The only other option are

NextPVR (GB-PVR)
Pros: Client/Extenders Support
Cons: Configuration is still done External

Media Portal
Pro: Cool UI
Cons: No Server/Client/Extenders Support, Configuration is still done External

WindowsXP/Vista/7 MCE
Cons: No Client/Extenders Support "Xbox dosen't count", DRM

MeediOS
Cons: I petty sure there very little to no support for Hauppauge Colossus and min other capture device, Configuration is still done External, TV support is not build in, No Server/Client/Extenders Support, Configuration is still done External

MythTV
Cons: No support for Hauppauge Colossus, and can be real a pain to work with becuase it Linux, dosen't have any ture Extenders Support

TotalMedia 3.5
Pros: Boring
Cons: Very Broing pettey much paper wigth

XBMC
Cons: No support for Hauppauge Colossus, TV support is not build in, As far I can tell there no Server/Client/Extenders Support (Did I miss it?)

There alway the Possable Beyond TV may come back that not going happing.

Info Note on
Server: Must work in the same way as SageTV Media Server
Client: Must work in the same way as SageTV Client
Extenders: Must display same UI

So far the closest one that will meet are needs is NextPVR

Last edited by SHS; 06-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I'm pretty nervous they might shut down one of these days too.
I have this bad feeling they are buying STV to bury it. It is competition for their GoogleTV product I think.
4 GB Ram
GeForce Nvida 9800GT (512 MB GDDR3) Capable of 1080p playback
3 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 tuner cards
1 Hauppauge HD-PVR

Vip211 with R5000-HD
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just in case:

The biggest problem I have with most cable provided dvrs is the fact that they don't remember which episodes I have watched once I delete them. Sage remembers every episode I have watched since day 1. Do any of the alternatives listed have this feature? I don't need to port my current list in, but once I start using it, I don't want it to record shows that I have seen even if I have it record reruns and not just new shows. This is the biggest WAF feature and the reason that I do not have a non-htpc dvr. Also, the alternative needs to work with hd-pvrs.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic, but this seems like an appropriate time to start talking about alternatives to using SageTV.
Sorry, but I had to chuckle at this. Has there ever been a time when people stopped talking about alternatives to Sage?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
A little elbow grease and mythtv could run on the hdx00 I bet. Maybe it's time to revisit mythtv... Or linuxmce
Can you give instructions on how to do this?
I am pretty worried myself
SageTV Client 6.3.5 , AMD 3000, 1024Mb, Saphire x1600Pro256HDMI, java 1.6.1

Using Nielm's Web server 2.22
Old 06-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I'm still using version 6.6 and don't have any problems so see no reason to abandon my setup. If you have a working version then you've nothing to worry about.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

MythTV with XBMC front end.

Having used MythTV in the past I would say this is a viable alternative for HTPC users but it does not stack up against SageTV as it exist today. Also no real extender support right now. Maybe the Apple TV port. I will not be moving anytime soon.

Just hope GoogleTV comes up with something decent and an extender at a decent price.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon24 View Post
Can you give instructions on how to do this?
I am pretty worried myself
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SageTV_HD_Extender
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
That page isn't very hopeful. No one has touched it for over 3 years. Are there any extenders for MythTV? I know there were efforts to try to get it running on an NMT, but I don't think they ever got past partial support.

NextPVR (formerly GB-PVR) sort of supports the NMT as an extender, but no one manufacturers any of the supported NMT models anymore.

If the XBox was just a little better at playing back DVD/Bluray rips, I would quite happily move to Win7 MC. I suppose I still could, and just use Media Center for its recording capabilities, and se something else for imported videos, but that seems like a waste. It seems like if I all I want to do is to record TV, there should be easier routes. Unfortunately, the options for multiroom centralized DVRs are quite limiting. Comcast has one with limited storage space and an awful UI that would be pretty easy and cheap to switch to, but I'm not thrilled about that option. Moxi looks interesting, but I'm still worried it could disappear overnight without warning. It doesn't look like TiVo will have any real multi-room DVRs anytime soon either.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Sorry, but I had to chuckle at this. Has there ever been a time when people stopped talking about alternatives to Sage?
Fair enough, but those discussions never really went very far. Generally people just went into those discussions and explained how there are no acceptable alternatives to Sage. We're in a different situation now, and I'm hoping to see some new ideas.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I think right now we all need to decide upon an alternate forum to go to if this Sage forum is shut down. I believe the obvious choice is AVSforum, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I'm still using version 6.6 and don't have any problems so see no reason to abandon my setup. If you have a working version then you've nothing to worry about.
Wow, I would have never guessed that you're still rockin' 6.6!

Why haven't you upgraded? Just curious...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I think right now we all need to decide upon an alternate forum to go to if this Sage forum is shut down. I believe the obvious choice is AVSforum, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Id be looking over on AVSforum myself. Seems to be the logical choice. They said they would keep this one open for the rest of the year though, so hoping that is true.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
NextPVR (formerly GB-PVR) sort of supports the NMT as an extender, but no one manufacturers any of the supported NMT models anymore.
I had NPVR support working on the current 200 series and could likely get it going again, but I stopped because there were posts about a newer model.
I also feel most NPVR/GBPVR users didn't really want to spend more than then $105 primarily to get the advanced BluRay sound options. In the $350 range of the C200, ION's and Fusions seem pretty good alternative too.

Martin
Old 06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
Id be looking over on AVSforum myself. Seems to be the logical choice. They said they would keep this one open for the rest of the year though, so hoping that is true.
More than welcome to use CocoonTech.com. If it gets to the point where this one gets shut down, I can start a dedicated subforum for SageTV (as I did with for the now discontinued Motorola Premise software). SageTV is already very popular on CT anyways.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
More than welcome to use CocoonTech.com. If it gets to the point where this one gets shut down, I can start a dedicated subforum for SageTV (as I did with for the now discontinued Motorola Premise software). SageTV is already very popular on CT anyways.
Cocoontech is awesome!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Yeah, but what about guide data?