SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringobob View Post
Hrmph.
I'm frustrated and disappointed. I'm sure Google will produce a product that is compelling in its own way, but I've been moving closer and closer to my own little media utopia, and now I feel stopped in my tracks.
Know how you feel. I've decided to make the best of it though since what I have works great and enhancement and customization is still possible. It forced my time line though and dramatically increased the cost since ebay is the only place to get extenders now.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringobob View Post
Hrmph. Looks like it's time for me to start looking at the dwindling number of alternatives out there. I was just waiting for some birthday money to upgrade to v7. So much for that. I'm now stuck on outdated software indefinitely. Not to mention no extenders. This is a disappointing end to 8 years invested in the product.

If Google actually continues the product in a form that is compatible with how we use it now, then great, I'll be back in a heartbeat. But I don't expect to learn that for some months. And I expect it to be far more likely that we're just looking at investing hundreds of dollars in a hardware product that bears little resemblance to the Sage that I love.

I'm frustrated and disappointed. I'm sure Google will produce a product that is compelling in its own way, but I've been moving closer and closer to my own little media utopia, and now I feel stopped in my tracks.
Everyone can upgrade for v5 or v6 for free. The only thing you can't really do easily now is expand your system (add clients/extenders). The software is still functioning as well, or better, than when you purchased it - so you haven't really lost anything.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Sage User

While doing some shopping at eBay noticed an unusual number of extenders for auction. First thought was: Great! They are selling a new extender! Went to the sagetv store as fast as I can type and...
Imagine my surprise! Darn.

Well, better Google than someone else. Good luck to the SageTV team. Keep doing what you guys do best.

Me? I don't see a reason for making any changes for the next three to five years. Plenty of time for Google or others to come with a real alternative. My only concern is the longevity of the extenders. I guess I need to get a few UPS's...
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Sage User

Not sure if it will help but I sent an email to the sagetv-dev@google.com email on the sagetv website to ask what is going on. Wonder what would happen if they got 100's of emails a day.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminnick View Post
Not sure if it will help but I sent an email to the sagetv-dev@google.com email on the sagetv website to ask what is going on. Wonder what would happen if they got 100's of emails a day.
They would have to hit the Delete button 100's of times a day.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
They would have to hit the Delete button 100's of times a day.

Gerry
I'm sure they have a select all button that would streamline that effort.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually, it is just a black hole. No need to even check it.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Sage User

I actually did get a reply, but it was nothing more than a canned response of (paraphrasing) “Sorry, but we are no longer selling any SageTV hardware or software, and there are no plans to resume selling any SageTV products”
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by twills View Post
I actually did get a reply, but it was nothing more than a canned response of (paraphrasing) “Sorry, but we are no longer selling any SageTV hardware or software, and there are no plans to resume selling any SageTV products”
paraphrasing your paraphrasing: SageTV is toast. Live with what you currently have and if you need more you won't get it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Sage User

Can you still download Beta software?

OK I know I know, Sage is not selling anything but I bought a license right before google did its thing. I have HD300's ready to roll and I was working on a new PC build. All I need now is the actual software. Anyone know where I can get a link to download the Beta Sage 7 for Windows 7? Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoker View Post
All I need now is the actual software. Anyone know where I can get a link to download the Beta Sage 7 for Windows 7? Thanks
What! you cant even find the sticky in the SageTV software forum?

There may be no support anymore, but the software is still available (as is a free upgrade to version 7)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindborg
; --snip--
Having worked for two companies that got bought by much, much larger entities I’m happy for the Sage crew. In both cases the future of the companies was in serious long term jeopardy due to shifting markets – happy they got themselves a nice landing (sounds a lot nicer than mine!). Good for them and their families – been on the other end of the stick where a white knight didn’t come out of the woodwork – I’ll take door #2 every time.
I don't think any of us aren't happy (even envious) for SageTV. What we're not happy about is what's in it for us. SageTV is a new discovery for me, and it was wonderful! I'm hopeful Google does for SageTV what it did for Picasa. Hopeful, but not optimistic.

I'm no Google hater. I can't WAIT for the day when I can finally throw my $@*!(+T#$ Windoze Mobile 6.1 piece of cellular garbage on the dung heap of history and get me an Android phone.

I have no desire to watch Internet TV. Tried it. It blows -- other than Netflix. There are about 4 shows on network TV I watch. Anythng else I like (or at least tolerate) seems to get canceled.

There's no way in H-E-doublehockeysticks I'll watch TV if I have to watch commercials. There just isn't anything on worth spending the time and irritation to watch commercials. Heck, the reason I started using Google's search engine way back when was the clean, white interface.

I guess I'm getting old, and am no longer in the targeted demographic. Even decent movies are few and far between lately.

Maybe I'll finally finish building the Scout I started in 1997, and the Chevelle I bought in 2005. Stupid TV's nothing but a time waster anyway.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

If google starts over from scratch on googletv and sage development permanently stops (which seems to be the case) then the best possible thing that could happen to us would be if they open sourced sagetv media center, client, placeshifter, and extender firmware. Then we could continue development forever if we wanted to.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage User

A long time ago I used a product called Showshifter which was great for its time. It was acquired by some media company and never heard from again. My hope is that the non-compete clause is not too long (5 years ???) and then the Sage Developers can use what they have learned, start from the ground up and if possible make a product better than what is now. The reason I say "if possible" is because I am not sure how it can be better than what it is except for some small preference details or netflix. But given how talented they are and what they have learned over the years, that would be the best!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
A long time ago I used a product called Showshifter which was great for its time. It was acquired by some media company and never heard from again. My hope is that the non-compete clause is not too long (5 years ???) and then the Sage Developers can use what they have learned, start from the ground up and if possible make a product better than what is now. The reason I say "if possible" is because I am not sure how it can be better than what it is except for some small preference details or netflix. But given how talented they are and what they have learned over the years, that would be the best!!!
Don't think that will happen since they are all google employees now.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
A long time ago I used a product called Showshifter which was great for its time
IIRC Showshifter became BeyondTV.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Sage Icon

Google has a lot of their May 2011 Google IO sessions on YouTube. I've been going through some of the GoogleTV related videos. There are a few little things here and there about Honeycomb 3.1 and I thought a couple statements in the Building Android Apps for GoogleTV session might be of interest to us SageTV users:
Quote:
42:00 - 43:15 - talks about channel listings and the developer also says "we know there's a lot of interest in a lot of other cool and interesting things we can do with the TV feed. We're working on that, we don't have anything more to announce right now but in the future we plan to expose a lot more TV functionality into an addon library"
This was about 1.5 months before Google bought SageTV and I doubt that the developer knew of any plans to acquire SageTV, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff was already talking to Google at that point. As for HTTP Live Streaming on Android:
Quote:
55:40 - A question from the audience about HTTP Live Streaming support, the answer: "we're working on it and we expect this to work"
That doesn't exactly reveal much, but Google has had a lot of requests and I know a lot of Sage users want this so they can watch video on their Android devices either through the mobile web interface or TaSageTV.

So far I haven't run across much about accessing content stored on the user's home network.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Sage Icon

@jreichen,

The funny thing is sagetv is usually on the ball and quick when it comes to updates and betas. This last one took very long. It probably because sagetv was in talks with google.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Another potential reason that Google bought SageTV (for those that are very cynical) - They are trying to fake out their competition.

Google has a MarketCap of $170B - the amount that they paid for Sage is pocket change. But now they have their competitors wondering what they are planning to do in the PC based PVR space - just like those of us on this forum. Maybe the Google purchase of SageTV is like Operation Fortitude in WWII where the Allies tried to deceive the Germans into thinking that the invasion would come at somewhere other than Normandy - such as at Calais or in Scandinavia. This, apparently, was very successful and Hitler thought that the Normandy invasion was a feint.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Maybe the Google purchase of SageTV is like Operation Fortitude in WWII where the Allies tried to deceive the Germans into thinking that the invasion would come at somewhere other than Normandy - such as at Calais or in Scandinavia. This, apparently, was very successful and Hitler thought that the Normandy invasion was a feint.
I think you're overthinking this one
Of course you never know I guess.

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv