SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by karhill View Post
I just paid for SageTV, and now, before I've had a chance to download the product even, they have pulled the links on their site.

This is close to a criminal action: it's a crime to take payment and not provide the product. I'm going to dispute this credit card payment.

I'm upset that SageTV is gone, but I'm even more upset about the way they have gone about this. To pull all links to the product is piss poor business practices.
Has your credit card been charged? If you bought software then the key is sent out via email, almost immediately, if it was hardware then your card would be charged when the box(es) are shipped.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Probably a google exec. wanted native cable card integration in his home Sage setup and thought the only way to get it was buy Sage.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
...I'm even more upset about the way they have gone about this. To pull all links to the product is piss poor business practices.
Well said. I'm not taking a full doom, take my SageTV to my bomb shelter with MRE's and wait until the dust settles attitude. I'm hoping for Internet and "real" TV integration.

However, yeah, this was an incredibly horrible way to make this happen. I believe the products come with support, those that bought them a few days ago have no support. That's just wrong.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Sorry, that's just BS. They were not running out of or losing money.

Ever heard of "the offer you couldn't refuse?" It was very likely something along those lines - with dollar signs attached. imo Mac support was dropped because it wasn't a big enough audience which meant not worth the time investment given the number of purchases for Mac. As far as I know they hadn't completely decided to end Mac releases.
Actually, I have been there. Our little shop got bought now a little more than nine years ago. We did ok

It seems to be clear, though, that you aren't in the know either. And obviously, you feel a lot less resentment about how they have been handling support for Mac. Lets leave it at that.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Maybe Google is envisioning the next iteration of GoogleTV not as a box you connect your receiver to, but as the receiver itself.
I thought of the very same thing. Its akin to SageTV-in-a-box, but a full-fledged home theater receiver with network capability and the SageTV core.

Unfortunately, hardware is risky, even for a giant like Google. That said, I can't think of anyone else with pockets deep enough to give it a shot, so I hope they do.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
...GoogleTV + Android@Home + SageTV

Just think about it, a home automation system with SageTV's backend (DVR and media serving), GoogleTV as a frontend (built into boxes and TVs), placeshifting to android devices. Complete "organization", integration and control of all the media and all the connected devices in your home....
I'd like that - that's with Cable Card support, I assume? I wonder what Comcast would be charging for anything NBC?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post

It seems to be clear, though, that you aren't in the know either. And obviously, you feel a lot less resentment about how they have been handling support for Mac. Lets leave it at that.
I do know enough to know your statement was not correct. I will leave it at that. I understand your unhappiness, but c'mon.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
What if, just if, the plan for Sage is far, far bigger. What I'm thinking is:

GoogleTV + Android@Home + SageTV
Right on Stanger89.... but I don't think Android@Home will be there at launch. I'm thinking like I mentioned earlier that GoogleTV will be the new Extender to SageTV and being available on many devices.

GoogleTV is getting a big update this summer to Honeycomb 3.1 and the Andoid Market for GoogleTV will be opened to developers so that apps will be available to GoogleTV. I see a SageTV app first. Then the SageTV server app being rebranded with the GoogleTV name and logo.

This is all to compete with the release of the WindowsTV this year, which will be the GoogleTV killer if Google has no DVR.

Last edited by polen; 06-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Oh, and the SageTV android app will work on tablets and phones too.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I can't see that as being BETTER than the higher quality broadcasts we have now.
Agreed completely - OTA HD is the best, and cable is begrudgingly next best. Streaming blows, at least where I live (socal) - stuttering, dropouts, no 5.1 audio, and pretty soon . . . . bandwidth charges. Can't wait to count my bits and bytes before watching a show.

Oh boy - internet video - how super-awesome.

I guess there are still books.

the cable companies must be freakin' super-happy that Sage is likley toast. Their bean-counters have finally got us
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 06-20-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just paid for SageTV, and now, before I've had a chance to download the product even, they have pulled the links on their site.

This is close to a criminal action: it's a crime to take payment and not provide the product. I'm going to dispute this credit card payment.

I'm upset that SageTV is gone, but I'm even more upset about the way they have gone about this. To pull all links to the product is piss poor business practices.
it does seem a little brash, considering how the whole community embraced them. I would indeed dispute that charge if you have no product.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Administrator

The SageTV downloads have remained available. The beta forum already has a sticky for the most recent v7.1 release candidate. And, I've added a sticky in the SageTV Software forum which lists the Download links for SageTV v7.0.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Sage User

It really all comes down to ads. Google makes there money off ads, simple fact. The other areas they venture into are just more ways to get more ads out to you or find out more about you, where you are, what you like, etc.

I think the fuzzy build it all together thing, isn't what Sage was purchased for.

As eluded to earlier, I think the want the DVR parts so they can ship some sort of "googlized android dvr" software for manufacturers to install in their boxes. Google gets it's ad stuff on the box and Sage drives the backend. But realistically SageTV as we know it as use it today, will still be the same in 2 years, we aren't going to see the fruits of the new endeavor.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The SageTV downloads have remained available. The beta forum already has a sticky for the most recent v7.1 release candidate. And, I've added a sticky in the SageTV Software forum which lists the Download links for SageTV v7.0.

- Andy
Great! That makes me feel much better. I was really angry about putting money down and then having nothing to show for it. It still seems like a product that won't have much future support (I was switching to SageTV from BeyondTV for just this reason!). But at least I have a product now.

Someone should adjust the main web page...

I don't begrudge the SageTV developers for taking the golden Google handshake, but I was angry that it all disappeared before I had a chance to even download.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Sage Icon

Wow- its been a while since i posted but i wanted to say

Congrats sage team!!!!!

Acquisitions are how businesses grow and this seems like it may be a great opp for all parties once the dust settles.

Must have been a nail biter for jeff while he and the team were going through negotiations and diligence.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
the only problem that i see is that google seems to have a reputation of buying cool ideas/things/companies and letting them languish until they are finally cut. hmmm.....
From my understanding, SageTV was at least breaking even on its operations. Which is a lot more than can be said for other things Google has purchased in the past, that while very popular, were money losers from the onset.

I think this is a case where what Google was looking to do with GoogleTV had significant complementary overlap with SageTV, and they had comparable goals for what they want to see happen in the home.

The problem was that the resources SageTV had at is disposal was a drop in the bucket compared to what Google can throw around. SageTV was probably trying to stay out of a debt sinkhole, which meant that they can only implement things so fast. I imagine the only way for the work to happen more quickly(at a speed Google could be happy with) was for Google to simply take over SageTV so that they could bring the full extent of Google's resources to bear on getting things done.

Recalling some previous discussions people have had on GoogleTV, I'm hoping that after all the dust settles, SageTV still exists as a reasonably distinct entity from GoogleTV. Basically what I hope happens is that SageTV continues to perform the role of a LAN-based media server which in its future(8.0?) incarnation will become a service provider for GoogleTV enabled devices.

This means SageTV would be getting out of the Extender market, as that would now be the domain of GoogleTV devices that either Google makes for themselves, or whomever gets third parties to license for inclusion in theirs.

I just hope support for the current batch of customers isn't dropped wholesale. Particularly with concerns of my own about the extenders becoming paperweights as a result of transitioning to GoogleTV's format.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM

My issue with this closedown is that I have the server software but because I still have the trial client I will end up with useless software in a couple of weeks.

I bought the server and spent several weeks sorting out bugs before moving onto the client. I came to the site to buy the client a couple of hours too late and now have a sage server which will be useless.

That doesn't sit well with me at all. Suggestions welcome!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Sage Icon

I wonder if they will ever disclose how much the acquisition costs? What are your guesses to what Google paid?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Great! That makes me feel much better. I was really angry about putting money down and then having nothing to show for it. It still seems like a product that won't have much future support (I was switching to SageTV from BeyondTV for just this reason!). But at least I have a product now.

Someone should adjust the main web page...

I don't begrudge the SageTV developers for taking the golden Google handshake, but I was angry that it all disappeared before I had a chance to even download.
It would be nice to know that somehow, existing SageTV purchased licenses would keep up with Windows / Hauppauge / Mac / Linux updates at the very least, and that we could purchase accessories such as media extenders. While no NEW licenses could be purchased, the ability for faithful supporters to service and augment their current installations would be nice.
While Chrysler has changed hands many times now, owners of older vehicles can still purchase parts to keep the cars running.
That's all most of us would ask. Isn't that reasonable?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Sage User

Question Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
It would be nice to know that somehow, existing SageTV purchased licenses would keep up with Windows / Hauppauge / Mac / Linux updates at the very least, and that we could purchase accessories such as media extenders. While no NEW licenses could be purchased, the ability for faithful supporters to service and augment their current installations would be nice.
While Chrysler has changed hands many times now, owners of older vehicles can still purchase parts to keep the cars running.
That's all most of us would ask. Isn't that reasonable?
Spot on! Most of us are happy with the setup we have, but would like to add an extender or two in time, and if that isn't possible the setups around the world will slowly die and so will the great community around SageTV.

If everything shuts down because all google wanted was (some of) the technology, then this both sucks and blows... although I'm not sure how that is possible

Tags
acquisition, beer, google, googletv