SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Sage User

SageTV - "This program is preventing Windows from shutting down"

If I do a Windows 7 shutdown whilst SageTV is running a dark box appears showing SageTV and telling me "This program is preventing Windows from shutting down".

Doing a search doesn't bring up anything... am I really the only person getting this??

I emailed Sage Support and was advised that it looked like a STVi was preventing proper shutdown.

I had tried disabling plugins before emailing Sage, and following their response I've tried numerous things all the way down to uninstalling SageTV, deleting the directory, re-installing and starting Windows 7 in Safe Mode... no drivers loaded. no startup items loaded.

Even in safe mode trying to do a shutdown with a completely clean install of SageTV running didn't shutdown my PC.

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Sage Icon

If you wait a while, does the message eventually go away and allow the computer to shut down?

I've noticed Windows 7 is very quick to pop up this type of warning. For example, when I do a Windows Update, it sometimes will ask if it can reboot the system to finish the install. When it does, I always get a similar message (but saying something like "Windows Update is preventing this computer from shutting down"). In my case, I don't do anything and I just wait another 30-60 seconds and things just close down like they should.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

I know that BeyondTV under XP does something similar, delaying the shutdown/restart as it does take like 30 seconds for the BTV service to stop. So it's not surprising for SageTV to do that too, but as Tiki asked, does it work in the end?
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Sage User

I just left it for over 5 minutes and nothing. SageTV just keeps running in the background. I click cancel and must end the session via Task Manager and this see SageTV constantly using between 80% and 97% CPU usage when in this state.

One thing I did notice last night, if I put SageTV into sleep mode, shutting down or restarting my PC works as expected.

Must be something about SageTV being visible... will try with SageTV minimised... haven't tried that one yet.

Edit:
Yep, minimising sage also allows the shutdown/restart process to work correctly. Very wierd!

Last edited by ero; 06-15-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Included additional info