SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Multiple files, one recording?

Hi all.
I'm currently going through a mass of recordings, transfering films I want to keep to another HDD specifically for DVD's and Movie files. The issue I'm having however, is that at least 50% of the films I want to transfer are split up over several files.
e.g. Interview with a vampire is split into 2 files

InterviewwiththeVampireHD-10870266-0.ts which is 2.03Gb

InterviewwiththeVampireHD-10870266-1.ts which is 5.12Gb

Is this a setting in sage that needs to be changed to stop this happening in future, or is it unavoidable? I have looked for a setting that might be responsible, but to no avail. And I searched the forums for similar issues, but again no joy.

Hopefully this is fixable

Regards

John
Antec Sonata III, Abit AN-M2HD, AMD 4200+, Thermalright SI-128 Cooler, 2GB OCZ DDR2, 2x500Gb + 1x1Tb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II, Hauppauge Nova-T500, Technotrend 3200-S2 with CI, Oasis II CAM. Windows XP Home SP3, Logitech Harmony 525. Logitech DiNovo Edge
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

This happens when:

1) A recording grows beyond the maximum file size supported by your file system. This is usually 2GB on FAT32 file systems (pre WinXP). Since one of the files is 5GB, this obviously isn't your issue.

2) Recordings get split up when tuners have hiccups during a recording. Sometimes the tuner stops producing output for a short period of time and if it's long enough Sage will stop the recording, try to reset the tuner and then continue. This is what looks like is happening here. I think this also may happen if you were watching the movie live then decided to record it by pressing the record button while watching live, but I'm not positive on that. It would also happen if Sage were restarted during a recording. After Sage restarts it would continue the recording in a new segment file.

As long as you plan on keeping the recordings as tv recordings in Sage then it won't matter. Just move all the segments and when Sage rescans them in their new location it will handle all the segments properly (Sage 7 only; Sage 6 will NOT handle this situation properly).

There's no way to prevent this other than to not introduce the situation that causes it (i.e. don't restart Sage during a recording, don't start recording a movie from live tv [** only if that's a cause; I'm not sure it is]). The only other cause is tuner failures, which you can't really prevent other than to replace ones that are constantly failing and causing multi-segmented recordings.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I think this also may happen if you were watching the movie live then decided to record it by pressing the record button while watching live, but I'm not positive on that.
Using the Record command for a currently recording non-manual recording shouldn't result in a stop/restart of the recording. However, using Record for a currently recording MR can stop & restart the recording if you are watching it live, it is a Favorite, & possibly other reasons because you are cancelling the recording, then it has to restart to satisfy the ongoing recording.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

So, I have some of these, and when I moved my recordings to a different hard drive, Sage seems to have "lost" the ability to associate these fragments as one recording. I still have the original title under TV, but the second and subsequent (-1, -2, etc) are showing up under Videos as 3DaystoKill-24162106-1, etc. Is there a way to get the original association back so that Sage recognizes these as multi-part recordings, or if not, what's the best utility to combine all the parts to make 1 original show?
Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

If it comes to re-combining the files, try Video Redo

The only constant in the Universe is change.