SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Sage User

HD300 WOL using USB

I'm hoping someone has run across this before because I'm stumped. My Sage server is running on an Asus M4a77td motherboard. I think I have all of the correct settings in the BIOS set. The server connects to my network wirelessly using a Netgear N150 USB stick. I have not been able to get WOL to work on the HD300. I've seen posts that say you can't do it over wirelessly and others that say you can. Hence, the confusion. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Are there setting in your Netgear N150 USB stick that allow you to turn on the WOL option? Allowing WOL is also a function of the NIC and not just BIOS settings.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Never tried it myself, but I imagine you'd have to configure the Power Management settings in Device Manager for that USB device to allow it to wake the computer.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Sage User

I could not find any settings to turn on WOL. The only option there is to enable/disable the adapter to save power. The other option, "Allow this device to wake the computer" is disabled. I've seen a few posts in other forums that the disabled option may be controlled by a registry setting. However, I could not find anything definitive. Does this mean I need a new USB adapter that supports WOL?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

If you cannot uncheck that option then your USB NIC doesn't support it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Sage User

Ok, so SageTV sells an HD300 with wireless access. Does anyone know how to get WOL to work wirelessly? Anyone know of a USB adapter that supports WOL? Why is ths information so hard to find?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baradanikto View Post
Ok, so SageTV sells an HD300 with wireless access. Does anyone know how to get WOL to work wirelessly?
Are you asking: Can you wake a SageTV server from the HD300 if the HD300 is using the Wifi? In one of two scenarios Sever using Wifi (USB or internal), but that WOL works from other device, or two the server is connected to a Wifi router/bridge?

I don't have any answers here, I just am not sure what question you are asking.

Quote:
Anyone know of a USB adapter that supports WOL?
I understand the question, just don't have the answer.

Quote:
Why is this information so hard to find?
I assume because a lot of people don't use sleeping servers, and/or lots of people don't use Wifi.

The first point: because from a server perspective it means the server is not on to record when you want (the major use of SageTV I'd assume).

The second point: because Wifi has not work well previously, thus the old hands (experienced people) have gone done the ethernet, ethernet-over-cable (MoCA) or ethernet-over-power (powerline) routes.

Thus the set of new users the are using 802.11n successfully with a WOL enabled server, is a very small set of the user base. And maybe a set that doesn't read the forums frequently.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 PM

How I resolved WOL issue on my SageTV host

Apologies if this isn't up to the usual standards. My first post

I resolved the WOL issue on my machine as follows:

Extender: HD-300
SageTV Service is running on:
Win 7 Pro, ASUS P6T-D Deluxe mobo
Marvell Yukon 88E8056 adapter (on-board)

The power management settings for the network adapter (Device Manager) are counterintuitive. See Shot1.png

In order for power to be retained in the adapter after entering sleep, the first checkbox must be checked. The caption is somewhat misleading. A more correct caption might be: "enable power management on this device".

The key here is the first checkbox must be checked in order for the second checkbox (enable WOL) to be active. I checked all 3.

You may also need to check your (Windows) Power Options in Control Pannel. Make sure you network adapter is not powered down in sleep mode.

Next ensure WOL and Magic Packet is enabled in the Advanced Tab. See Shot2.png.

Finally I added the "forced_mac_address" parameter to the SageClient.properties file. Not sure at this point if it is entirely necessary but I came across it in other posts so I tossed it in for good measure.

formatting example: forced_mac_address=00-00-00-00-00-00
You can discover the mac address of the adapter using ipconfig /all at a command prompt.

I did not set that parameter in my Sage.Properties file, only the SageClient.Properties file.

I don't recall if I restarted SageTV or not.

Final Check:
If your network adapter has a status light (usually beside the network cable port) it should remain lit when the computer sleeps. This indicates the adapter is configured to retain power when the computer sleeps. If WOL is properly configured, your HD-300 should now be able to wake the computer.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Shot2.png (51.3 KB, 409 views)
File Type: png Shot1.png (50.1 KB, 398 views)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage User

Grimace, thanks for the reply. You're the closest thing I've come to a solution. However, I still can't get WOL to work. I have recently changed my setup as follows: I now connect my Sage server to my network via a wireless bridge that is connected to the mobo via the on-board Realtek NIC.

I used your suggestions, but, the on-board NIC does not seem to retain power when in standby (I don't see a light). I'm not sure what to change in the power settings, so, I guessed at allowing power to PCI-e. I could not find anything that specifically referenced the on-board NIC. I think I have the adapter properties set correctly (see attached image).

Lastly, my HD300 connects to the network via the Sage approved wireless adapter. How do you connect? What about your BIOS settings? As you can probably guess, ASUS has provided no help in resolving this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Realtek NIC.png (40.6 KB, 364 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear that you're still hooped.
I should have mentioned I'm hard-wired not wireless. But from your description, sounds like your NIC is the culprit.

I've attached some WIN7 Power Management settings that I'm using.
Note I've turned off Hibernate. Don't know if that matters but worth investigating.

I also downloaded the latest NIC driver and read over the ReadMe file that came with. My NIC is a Yukon, the ReadMe had some good info regarding WOL settings. Also in the attached doc.

I think once you can get your NIC to quit napping you'll be away to the races.

Also check your bios settings. Power Management sleep mode and WOL. Also enable Plug and Play bios if it isn't already

G.
Attached Files
File Type: doc MoreInfo.doc (167.0 KB, 315 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Came across this just now.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Configuring_Network#Realtek_no_link_.2F_WOL_issue[/URL]

see: Realtek no link / WOL issue

It's Linux site but talks about Windows issues similar to yours.
Hope it fits.

G.

Tags
hd300, wol