SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

Windows 7 Firewall

So apparently, I need a little help setting up my firewall correctly.

I just switched my server from xp over to windows 7 ultimate 64 and upgraded to SageTV 7.x at the same time. I have a sagetv client running on windows 7 ultimate as well, this has been running sagetv client under version 6.x and the XP firewall for quite some time with out issue. I also have an HD100 running. So I did the upgrades and everything seems to work, but when trying to connect from the client or extender, the server can not be found. If I go to the server and turn off the firewall, everything works just great.

Looking through the PDF manual, it appears there are some ports that I need to open. However, when examining the existing firewall settings, things look like they "should" already be in order.

in the inbound rules section there exists
SageTV.exe TCP allow All Ports
SageTV.exe UDP allow All Ports
SateTVService.exe TCP allow All Ports
SageTVService.exe UDP allow All Ports

Are there additional entries that should be added for SageTvClient.exe?
Should there be any entries in the outbound rules section?
What would the entry look like for the HD100?
Is the "All Ports" thing a misnomer?
Shouldn't I be able to configure ports independently of an application name?

For now, my firewall is down. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

In Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center, is your network listed as type "Home Network" ?

The Win 7 firewall is configured on a per-network basis, so you can allow apps to talk on one network but not another. Home vs work vs public, for example.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have two network segments, one connected from the PC to a switch and onto the rest of the LAN, and through the router to the WAN. It is configured as a Home Network, and has my home group is joined on it.

The second segment only has my HDHR on it. It shows up as an "Unidentified Network" with no internet access (as I would expect) but its type is "public network". For this segment however, I am not given the option to change the network type as it is not a clickable selection. (maybe because there is no internet through it?)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Sage User

I just turned the Firewall off on my sever, as it's, and not going to move to a new network.

But this begs the question is there any difference between "off" and "home", that would warrant turning it back on?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Sage Icon

On which segment is the SageTV Client? What network does that Win 7 box say? Does the client box have internet connectivity?

Yes there is a difference between off, home, work, and public.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

The only thing on the public segment is the HDHR, there is no switch just a straight cable. I put it there because I had a free nic and figured I would do well not to have any LAN traffic competing with the HDHR.

The Home segment includes the Win7 server, Win7 Client, HD100, a CCTV DVR, OPPO Blueray, Misc Wifi devices and a few free ports on the switch. The Comcast cable modem is plugged into a Wifi Linksys Router and that router is plugged also into the Home segment switch. All very conventional.

The win 7 client, also says that it is on the home network.

You suppose I should disable the HDHR segment, then bring up the firewall and see if it plays nice. Of course, I would loose two tuners, but it would be just a test.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Just plug the HDHR into the switch. It's not like it's going to saturate the network. I have 2 x HDHR (4 tuners) plugged into my switch and record on all 4 regularly.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

On your server, reset the firewall to default. Then add back in SageTV & SageTVservice for inbound tcp/udp on home/private networks. Test the connection with your HD100.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

I reset the firewall, and then added the sagetv.exe and sagetvservice.exe as allowed apps for all zones, went and tested the extender and it seems fine. went and tested the sagetv client, and it would work but it was super slow. like minutes of spinning circle to open the tv recordings folder, then when playing a video if you hit skip forward it would give you the spinning circle again and after 20-30 seconds it would scip forward as per the request.

also now having reset the firewall, the mapped drives on the client will not re-connect so the comskip files are not available.

I added two more entries in the firewall settings that were port specific to the TCP and UDP ports listed in the manual. No real improvement.

If I turn off the firewall everything is snappy.

Going to try a reboot to see if that helps.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

The reboot helped a lot. There is no perceivable lag now. I also enabled some inbound rules for file and print sharing that fixed the network drive issue.

I guess the old toggle the settings and reboot trick is the oldest in the book. An oldie but a goodie.

Thanks all.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Sage Icon

I have a router between my LAN and the Internet, and my WiFi is well encrypted, so I don't use software firewalls on my PCs.