SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

OTA lineups have changed: EPG lineup reconfigure for OTA tuners

My OTA lineup for DFW is no longer found on the sage EPG server as of today? Dallas-Ft. Worth - Digital Broadcast

Am I missing something?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator

There have been some EPG server changes, so what you are seeing is normal for an OTA lineup.

All you will need to do is reconfigure the EPG Lineup via the Source Details menu for that tuner -- you don't need to reconfigure the whole source; just the EPG Lineup. Again: Do not remove the tuner; just choose the "EPG Lineup" item on the tuner's Source Details menu. If you run into an issue trying to select a new lineup, just leave the lineup selection menu and nothing will change. Once you select a lineup, though, the lineup change will be applied.

Then, instead of choosing Local Broadcast for an OTA tuner, choose Cable or Satellite, enter your zip/postal code, then choose "Digital Broadcast - <your zip/postal code>" (there is also Analog Broadcast, but I'm assuming you don't want that one).

You may need to do a new channel scan to make sure all the channels are mapped properly.

The basic steps are:
  1. From the Main Menu, go to Setup -> Setup Video Sources, then choose an OTA tuner (used to receive broadcast signals via an antenna).
  2. On the tuner's Source Details menu, choose EPG Lineup on the right side of the screen.
  3. Choose to use US or Canada guide data (or use an existing lineup if you've already reconfigured the EPG lineup for another OTA tuner).
  4. For the next menu's Program Guide Data Provider type, choose "Cable or Satellite". Do not choose "Local Broadcast"; it will just tell you to back up a couple menus if you do. If you are asked for Basic or Extended service level, just choose Extended, though it shouldn't make any difference.
  5. Enter your zip/postal code.
  6. Choose the "Digital Broadcast - <your zip/postal code>" or "Analog Broadcast - <your zip/postal code>" lineup for your zip/postal code.
  7. On the Channel Setup menu, perform a channel scan.

And, all OTA channels included in Zap2it's database are now included, not just those on cable/sat lineups.

Remember: for all EPG configuration, go through the cable/sat option & enter your zip/postal code.

While reconfiguring the EPG provider, if you see a blank list of providers, then try again and check this FAQ, including these items:
  • Make sure SageTV has access through your firewall to talk to the EPG server. See: What ports do I need to open in my firewall for SageTV?

• If there is no firewall issue, check that a plugin has not modified the epg/epg_import_plugin property. If that property is not blank, then close SageTV, remove the line from Sage.properties, and restart SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
And, all OTA channels are now included, not just those on cable/sat lineups.
WOO HOO!!!!

Alright, on edit, this is not working for me. I had removed the source entirely, and now when I go in and try to re-add it, it won't find any channel lineups in OTA, or any cable/sat providers in cable. I tried all the combinations and it won't find any feeds.

Suggestions?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 02-18-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage Icon

Can't add new tuner

I'm trying to add back a tuner that "no longer found lineup" due to the EPG changes (mentioned in the other thread). Attached is what I get.

Can I delete some files that will allow me to start "fresh" and allow Sage to find the lineup for the ZIP code I enter?

* merged *
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.JPG (40.6 KB, 563 views)
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

Just try again...and you may want to try restarting the SageTV application as well (the cache it has resets if you restart the application). If that doesn't work, let us konw what zip code you're using in case it's a problem with a specific zip code.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Also not working for me. I'm getting a message about "check your internet connection." My connection is fine.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2O View Post
Also not working for me. I'm getting a message about "check your internet connection." My connection is fine.
Same here.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for the heads up.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Sage

I just checked on the server and it's getting quite overloaded...and it has a connnection limiter on it which is currently maxed out. Just keep retrying...it'll connect sooner or later (I just reproduced the connection error, but after 5 tries it worked).

This problem will dissipate over the weekend once everyone has downloaded the new data set. Since a very large number of items in the database changed with the new EPG server code we're running....the usually small incremental downloads that occur per customer will be over 10x larger then usual for just the first update...then they'll go back to normal. Sorry for the inconvenience...but it's only a temporary problem.

And I do want to correct one of Andy's statements. While we do have the vast majority of channels for all ATSC lineups now...we don't have 'all' of them. We do have all the channels listed on Zap2it's site...but there's some channels they don't even have because the channels may be very new, or just so small they don't provide EPG data back to Zap2it.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm confused - I got this error as well (as a system message) for the Philadelphia digital broadcast lineup that 2 of my tuners use. Do I have to do the manual update described in this thread or just sit tight for a day or two?
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Sage Icon

I also received the 'system' error message that my local digital broadcasts no longer exists on the EPG server. Updates to this line up will no longer occur. The error was on February 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM CST.

Since the programming is still listed in the scheduler, maybe the best approach is to wait for the problem to be fixed. If I reconfigure the tuner cards, then my programming might be lost. I could try it, but I would need to take an image just before I do that, so I could get the current EPG program information back, just in case it is gone after the reconfiguration.

Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Sage User

Just got this for Milwaukee last night. So has anyone not done the manual reconfigure and had it fixed on it's own?

Pentium D core 2 duo 2.3 Ghz
3gb Ram
Hauppauge WinTV 418
AVerMedia M180
ATI DTV Wonder
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Sage Icon

The way I read it, you have to do the manual reconfigure - that is, you have to change the setting from OTA to "cable/satellite", and pick a ZIP code.

Be aware that if you remove the tuner (as I did ), you won't be able to re-add it at all until (hopefully) the network clog that Narflex described settles down. You should have two weeks' worth of EPG data in your system, so unless programming changes (which can happen, but not often), most stuff should be fine for that long.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

The loss of your current OTA lineup isn't going to 'fix itself' -- the way OTA lineups are handled is being changed and improved as part of that change. Please see my above post regarding the need to reconfigure the OTA lineups.

However, since you already have EPG listings, I don't think it is critical that the lineup be reconfigured right this second --- not updating your OTA lineup means you will not get new EPG data for days a couple weeks from now, nor any airing changes that might be occurring in the nearer future. If your OTA channel station IDs are the same as ones on lineup(s) for any active cable/sat tuner lineups you have, you may not miss any EPG listings at all... but you will continue to receive the system message until the OTA EPG is reconfigured.

The part that will be fixing itself is the issue people ran into last night where they were unable to get a listing of lineups for their zip code because there were so many systems updating to the new EPG data. Once all the full EPG updates are handled, the regular day-to-day EPG updates will be able to resume & that problem will thus go away.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Sage Icon

Hey Andy, beat you by a few seconds!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Be aware that if you remove the tuner (as I did ), you won't be able to re-add it at all until (hopefully) the network clog that Narflex described settles down. You should have two weeks' worth of EPG data in your system, so unless programming changes (which can happen, but not often), most stuff should be fine for that long.
As I stated in my original post, above, you do not need to remove the tuner -- just choose the "EPG Lineup" item on the tuner's Source Details menu. In fact, you shouldn't remove & re-add the tuner, as far as I know. I'll edit the post to try to make this more clear.

One advantage of simply reconfiguring the EPG lineup is the fact that you can back out of it before selecting a lineup and nothing will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
And I do want to correct one of Andy's statements. While we do have the vast majority of channels for all ATSC lineups now...we don't have 'all' of them. We do have all the channels listed on Zap2it's site...but there's some channels they don't even have because the channels may be very new, or just so small they don't provide EPG data back to Zap2it.
OK; I also updated my post to say: all OTA channels included in Zap2it's database are now included.

- Andy
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Sage Expert

I just wanted to say that it took me less than 10 minutes to get this fixed this morning.

It is not intuitive to hit cable or satellite for OTA, but once I got past that mental stumbling block, it was pretty much smooth sailing.

Also what was included in the 10 minute was turning off the DC stations that were once again enabled that I do not receive (other than with 0% to 30% signal strength because my antenna is pointed at the Baltimore tower).

Are you guys going to update the program so it says cable, satellite, or OTA? That will help both the newbies and some of us veterans.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage Expert

I take that back, my channel line up has now merged with the fios line up from local number (i.e., 2-1, 11-1, 13-1) to FIOS numbers (511, 512, 513). For now I am going to disable those channels on the fios qam HD Homerun until I have time to fix this.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2

Last edited by mistergq; 02-19-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
just choose the "EPG Lineup" item on the tuner's Source Details menu
What the heck? I can't find the '"EPG Lineup" item on the tuner's Source Details menu'

Where is it?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
What the heck? I can't find the '"EPG Lineup" item on the tuner's Source Details menu'

Where is it?
Found it. Sorry