SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Latest updates...

Hi Sean, thanks for all your hard work in the recent update. I really hope I didn't catch you in a bad mood. I know how sensitive you can be at times to issues related to TV movies support since you may not use this personally. So, please just take what I'm about to say just as little observations and not too close to your heart. I just wanted to let you know after the latest updates (from last night/today?) related to phoenix/BMT, I noticed to a couple of changes in behavior in a couple of scenerios:

1. I manually updated fanart/metadata for an Imported Video Movie called, Did You Hear About The Morgans? (using the latest BMT Web Interface and respective dependencies). I'm not sure why it never found the fanart/metadata automatically; but thought I'd test out the new BMT by trying to update it's fanart/metadata. Everything looked great after I manually selected/saved the respective fanart/metadat. However, coincidentally, that same movie was on TV tonight. When I go to any reference to this TV Movie, it looks like there's now a "TV Series title" metadata for for this movie (using the title of the movie); which end ups duplicating the title similar to a recent issue that that you fixed. I really hope this is something you wont be too upset about; and may consider adding an exception for TV movies to not to use the TV Series metadata field if they are movies; and, for the TV Series Name field to be used only for TV series.

2. I thought this update might fix that issue with the Metadata Editor plugin so it can actually update the fanart/metadata of TV movies via sageTV's STV/Metadata editor plugin. Maybe, that was up to the Metadata Editor plugin author (sorry I dont remember). However, when I use the same Metadata Editor now, it can't find any database entries no matter what movie I choose. I know it never actually updated the fanart/metadata before; but it at least could pretty much always guess the correct database entry (only missing one step to save the the respective data). It was a very quick way for me to check if there's an online database entry for that movie or not without having to go to a computer and use BMT Web Interface to check.

PS: Unrelated to the above issues, I noticed that you mentioned in a recent post that the new recommended location for fanart is under the default Windows user profile directory. I dont really use my Windows user directory for anything; in fact, My Documents, My Pictures, My videos, etc point to completely different disks/partitions due to the size limitation of my Windows boot partition and performance/file backup advantages. Can I be comfortable in keeping my central fanart folder exactly where it has been without possible future issues? I strategically placed my central fanart folder on a relatively small SSD for ultra high performance in pulling up any fanart as if it's in RAM. It has worked great for as long as I've been using fanart. Hopefully, it wont make a difference performance/stabilty/compatibility.

Thanks Chris, I hope you have a great evening and thanks for all your hard work! I can't wait to try some of the other new features!

-Michael

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 01-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
PS: Unrelated to the above issues, I noticed that you mentioned in a recent post that the new recommended location for fanart is under the default Windows user profile directory.
The BMT 4.9.8 Released (No Fixes) thread says the new directory is userdata/Phoenix/Fanart. He's talking about a new folder in the SageTV install directory, not some windows users or program data folder.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
1. I manually updated fanart/metadata for an Imported Video Movie called, Did You Hear About The Morgans? (using the latest BMT Web Interface and respective dependencies). I'm not sure why it never found the fanart/metadata automatically; but thought I'd test out the new BMT by trying to update it's fanart/metadata. Everything looked great after I manually selected/saved the respective fanart/metadat. However, coincidentally, that same movie was on TV tonight. When I go to any reference to this TV Movie, it looks like there's now a "TV Series title" metadata for for this movie (using the title of the movie); which end ups duplicating the title similar to a recent issue that that you fixed. I really hope this is something you wont be too upset about; and may consider adding an exception for TV movies to not to use the TV Series metadata field if they are movies; and, for the TV Series Name field to be used only for TV series.
I see two issues here.
1. "Did you hear about the Morgans" failed to automatically resolve. If you post the complete path of the file that you were importing, then I can test it locally and see if I can reproduce the issue. It is certainly possible given the configuration changes, that something changed here, espeically the filename scraping. While the entire project project underwent a full regression test, there's always the potential to miss something.

2. Recorded Movie titles are showing up twice. I never changed anything here, but I'll go back and see if I can blindly see anything in the code. My feeling here is that BMT will set the Title field and it's up the STV to decide to show the right title, depending on if this is a Movie or TV show.

Quote:
2. I thought this update might fix that issue with the Metadata Editor plugin so it can actually update the fanart/metadata of TV movies via sageTV's STV/Metadata editor plugin. Maybe, that was up to the Metadata Editor plugin author (sorry I dont remember). However, when I use the same Metadata Editor now, it can't find any database entries no matter what movie I choose. I know it never actually updated the fanart/metadata before; but it at least could pretty much always guess the correct database entry (only missing one step to save the the respective data). It was a very quick way for me to check if there's an online database entry for that movie or not without having to go to a computer and use BMT Web Interface to check.
I can't really say why someone else's plugin isn't working, but I did give jrekiwi a head's up that this build may impact his plugin's ability to fetch metadata. If this is on a machine without the Phoenix Core Services installed, then try installing the Phoenix Core Services and see if that makes a difference.

Quote:
PS: Unrelated to the above issues, I noticed that you mentioned in a recent post that the new recommended location for fanart is under the default Windows user profile directory. I dont really use my Windows user directory for anything; in fact, My Documents, My Pictures, My videos, etc point to completely different disks/partitions due to the size limitation of my Windows boot partition and performance/file backup advantages. Can I be comfortable in keeping my central fanart folder exactly where it has been without possible future issues? I strategically placed my central fanart folder on a relatively small SSD for ultra high performance in pulling up any fanart as if it's in RAM. It has worked great for as long as I've been using fanart. Hopefully, it wont make a difference performance/stabilty/compatibility.
If you use another location for the fanart, other than the default location, then you don't need to worry about the change. I changed the default location of where phoenix would downlaod and store fanart to a new location. But to clarify , the new default location is not in the windows user profile area, it's simply changes from STVs/Phoenix to userdata/Phoenix, still under the SAGE_HOME.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Great, thanks Pfc! What a relief! I'm crossing my fingers Sean will be okay with looking into the above issues. I have a feeling the second issue, although caused by changes from BMT/phoenix, can be fixed via the Metadata editor plugin; leaving only just one fix. Thanks again for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfc J View Post
The BMT 4.9.8 Released (No Fixes) thread says the new directory is userdata/Phoenix/Fanart. He's talking about a new folder in the SageTV install directory, not some windows users or program data folder.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Sean, thanks so much for taking the time to explain so nicely and not getting too upset. I have phoenix core services installed.

I think I can explain issue #1. I'm pretty sure its safe to not worry about this issue; unless you think otherwise. It looks like the way I found the Imported Video is via Imported Video search.. which looks like an orphaned TV recording: E:\TV Recordings\DidYouHearAbouttheMorgans-9110447-0.mpg. Not knowing it was a TV recording, I went into BMT Web Interface and found the import, then tried to add the fanart/metadata flagging it as a movie. I am definitely going to delete this recording and get the bluray version. I can see how what I did caused unpredictable results. Sorry about that!

It looks like the're really only one issue left... However, it might be a bit somewhat of a higher priority for some people; as it looks like there's currently only one plugin that was intended to search and add missing fanart/metadata for TV recordings conveniently in sageTV's STV right at the living room couch without having to use a computer to access BMT Web Interface each time for manual updates. I already PM'ed John (creator of this plugin) to look at this thread. Hopefully he wont be too discouraged to get it working since it looks like there's more things to fix for him now (if he's still motivated in getting his plugin to work in respect to this).

Thanks again Sean, it looks like its not even close to as bad as I thought; and, it looks like its another great update that appears to be well-tested.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I see two issues here.
1. "Did you hear about the Morgans" failed to automatically resolve. If you post the complete path of the file that you were importing, then I can test it locally and see if I can reproduce the issue. It is certainly possible given the configuration changes, that something changed here, espeically the filename scraping. While the entire project project underwent a full regression test, there's always the potential to miss something.

2. Recorded Movie titles are showing up twice. I never changed anything here, but I'll go back and see if I can blindly see anything in the code. My feeling here is that BMT will set the Title field and it's up the STV to decide to show the right title, depending on if this is a Movie or TV show.

I can't really say why someone else's plugin isn't working, but I did give jrekiwi a head's up that this build may impact his plugin's ability to fetch metadata. If this is on a machine without the Phoenix Core Services installed, then try installing the Phoenix Core Services and see if that makes a difference.

If you use another location for the fanart, other than the default location, then you don't need to worry about the change. I changed the default location of where phoenix would downlaod and store fanart to a new location. But to clarify , the new default location is not in the windows user profile area, it's simply changes from STVs/Phoenix to userdata/Phoenix, still under the SAGE_HOME.

***RIP SageTV***