SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevey View Post
Not that I can think of when I have ever done that, but I can't say it's "less-full featured".
  • No comskip
  • Can you watch the same recording at different positions in different rooms?
  • You have to manage recordings across multiple disparate devices/UIs
  • You have to keep track of what's recorded where across multiple disparate devices/UIs.
  • How do you keep two rooms from "walking" on each other control wise?

To name a few.

Quote:
To do that in the manner that has been suggested would require 7 HD-PVRs (and a computer that can support that) and at least 5 HD 300 boxes.
You quite likely would not need that much hardware due to Sage being able to access more tuners and thus being able to more intelligently make use of them.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
To do that in the manner that has been suggested would require 7 HD-PVRs (and a computer that can support that) and at least 5 HD 300 boxes.
Depending on OTA/clear QAM availability, and TV viewing, that might drop down to 2-3 HD-PVR's and allow you to cut down on some of the HD receivers from your cable/satellite providers...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sure, we could banter back and forth all day on feature for feature.
[*]No comskip - never really cared
[*]Can you watch the same recording at different positions in different rooms? no - can't think of when I would need to
[*]You have to manage recordings across multiple disparate devices/UIs -
yes, but cable is used for 80% of everything in the house - sat is for my own football craziness, so no one else really cares
[*]You have to keep track of what's recorded where across multiple disparate devices/UIs. -
I only use dvr for timeshifting, anything I want to keep I archive via HD-PVR and then playback later via sage ( I can't wait to hear the responses to this one), 95% of content is timeshifted.
[*]How do you keep two rooms from "walking" on each other control wise?
- there's only 3 of us in the house - so it isn't too dificult - sage has the same exact problem in many circumstances.

"You quite likely would not need that much hardware due to Sage being able to access more tuners and thus being able to more intelligently make use of them."

I don't quite follow this. If you actually had the need to do what I said would still require 7 different tuners.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Depending on OTA/clear QAM availability, and TV viewing, that might drop down to 2-3 HD-PVR's and allow you to cut down on some of the HD receivers from your cable/satellite providers...
yes, that's why I said Digital cable/Satellite stations.

Again - that is an extreme example, but the reality is I have all those devices because they are all used at some point and so I would need to cover the maximum usage in order to compare aples to aples.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

and really - everybody - I really don't think any of us need to keep up this back and forth.

The SageTV purists think that all in the world should be done through Sage. I get it, it just isn't practical for what I'm doing.

I have the system set up, and paid for, and working pretty well, and that's not changing.

I need synced playback on at least 3 if not four locations (for music and sometimes video), that also frequently require different programming sent to those same 4 locations (not necessarily all 4 simultaneously, but different combos depending on need).

make any argument you want, Sage can't do that with multiple extenders - period
Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The SageTV purists think that all in the world should be done through Sage. I get it, it just isn't practical for what I'm doing.
The funny thing is that I am actually a BeyondTV user and SageTV is only a side project for me...
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
and really - everybody - I really don't think any of us need to keep up this back and forth.

I have the system set up, and paid for, and working pretty well, and that's not changing.

I need synced playback on at least 3 if not four locations (for music and sometimes video), that also frequently require different programming sent to those same 4 locations (not necessarily all 4 simultaneously, but different combos depending on need).

make any argument you want, Sage can't do that with multiple extenders - period
Actually, in my previous installation, I had sage clients (or MVP's) at each TV, but then also had a single whole house feed slaved off the main living room set. This allowed fully independent viewing at each location, with a single 'broadcast' that contained the living room content. All it took to get to the broadcast was switching inputs on the applicable TV. Certainly no more difficult than the matrix approach, and really the same amount of wiring involved (was actually easier in that house, as it was Pre-HD, and I just used a VHF modulator to put the living room display onto the in-wall cable feed).

I think what started on the back and forth was one: the needs weren't defined and parts seemingly intentionally left out, and two: your repeated statement of wanting a single interface, which to us, means using sage for everything.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage User

I admit something like the OP is describing would be a welcome addition to my sage system. When I had a dedicated HTPC (which I gave up because of mediocre pq and stuttering issues) I was able to interface with it completely using any number of programs. I still havent been able to interface with my extender to the extent that I would like.

Something like this xbmc addition would be awesome for sage. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=68936

I would try to make something myself but I am too unfamiliar with the sage interface. I am more experienced with xbmc and xlobby.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
Something like this xbmc addition would be awesome for sage. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=68936

I would try to make something myself but I am too unfamiliar with the sage interface. I am more experienced with xbmc and xlobby.
seems just like:
taSageTV (1.56): Monitor/control SageTV on your Android device.
tiSageTV (0.85): Monitor/control SageTV on your iPhone/iPod/iPad. (private beta)

also, there is the sageTCPserver plugin, I use that with CQC to get the same control... probably would work with xlobby too...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
also, there is the sageTCPserver plugin, I use that with CQC to get the same control... probably would work with xlobby too...
Yes, this is what I would like to accomplish. I just am not able to figure out the workings of the sageTCPserver, at least as it relates to other programs. I can have a movie library in xlobby, but how do I tell sagetv which movie to play when I select a certain movie in xlobby?

Quote:
seems just like:
taSageTV (1.56): Monitor/control SageTV on your Android device.
tiSageTV (0.85): Monitor/control SageTV on your iPhone/iPod/iPad. (private beta)
I tried taSageTV, it was not quite what I was looking for. Also I had trouble connecting to my extender for some reason.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Aside from the SageTCPserver, there's also the Sagex HTTP services, which can be used to run pretty much any sagetv API call via HTTP.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Sage User

I have successfully used xlobby and eventghost to send basic commands (stop, enter, pause, etc) to my extender. However, I am now stumped on how to play a movie in my extender. One of the problems is that I cannot find a way to play a movie using the webserver through direct link: the webserver contains a direct link for playing as a local file, but playing to the extender uses a command that I cannot replicate as a direct link.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yes, this is what I would like to accomplish. I just am not able to figure out the workings of the sageTCPserver, at least as it relates to other programs. I can have a movie library in xlobby, but how do I tell sagetv which movie to play when I select a certain movie in xlobby?
I have no clue... sageTCPserver just works with a CQC driver, I never had to worry about API's and such...
xlobby was pretty popular at one point though, so someone should know... you can't be the only xlobby user left that also uses Sage?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Sage User

Here is a very vague description of what cqc does with sage. "My movies" is not a cqc only program, I wonder if there is some way of doing this in xlobby.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum...ead.php?t=8035
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I just am not able to figure out the workings of the sageTCPserver, at least as it relates to other programs.
There is a wiki for developers at:

http://talluscorp.com/mediawiki//ind...for_developers

and you can also directly access the open source code. Those are lagging a bit behind, but I can fill in the blanks.

Quote:
I can have a movie library in xlobby, but how do I tell sagetv which movie to play when I select a certain movie in xlobby?
Basically, you would connect through a TCP socket and send a command like "WSP:E:\myMovies\Avatar.mpg\n".

Quote:
I tried taSageTV, it was not quite what I was looking for. Also I had trouble connecting to my extender for some reason.
That's typically a user error that can be solved with some logs and/or copies of the sage.properties file.

I am currently implementing the configuration through the SageTV 7 plugin interface, for the people that have issues shutting down SageTV and its service, in order to edit 2 lines in a text file...

Last edited by Fonceur; 01-30-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Sage User

I think I might know why I am having trouble with taSageTV. My mac address from the bottom of the extender and the client folder and the address from ipconfig /all are different. When I try either one in my sage.properties upon restart the lines are deleted. I made sure that sagetv and its service are not running. Its funny, because on the webserver (which works fine) the mac address from the bottom of the extender is used.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When I try either one in my sage.properties upon restart the lines are deleted.
That's a sign that the service was still running... You want to run the SageServiceControl, have it enabled but in the state Stop. Then you can open up the file, modify it, save it and restart the service.

Quote:
Its funny, because on the webserver (which works fine) the mac address from the bottom of the extender is used.
It should be the same address, since as far as I know when Beelzerob started SageCQC, he used NielM's web server as a starting point.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Edit: I went into windows services and stopped sagetv (but did not "end" the service). Then I edited sage.properties, but upon restart the changes had again been deleted.

Simply ending all sage services did the trick for editing for the server, it just is not working for the client.

Last edited by phillyfan1138; 01-28-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I did a search for sageservicecontrol on my computer.
That's in the SageTV folder of the Start menu, where you can launch SageTV, read the manual and so on...

Quote:
Simply stopping all sage services did the trick for editing for the server, it just is not working for the client.
Define client... If it's an extender, then it goes in the same sage.properties... If it's the server's UI, then it would be in a sageclient.properties file...
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
That's a sign that the service was still running... You want to run the SageServiceControl, have it enabled but in the state Stop. Then you can open up the file, modify it, save it and restart the service.
Ok, I hadnt installed the java runtime which is why I had trouble with sageservicecontrol. I ran it, did as you suggested, but the modification still was deleted.

Quote:
Define client... If it's an extender, then it goes in the same sage.properties... If it's the server's UI, then it would be in a sageclient.properties file...
I'm sorry, I meant extender not client. In the TaSagetv gui the extender is labeled as client as well.