SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Sage User

Switching to Mac- what do I need?

Hello all,

I'm currently using a HD300, that connects to my PC that records with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. I am now looking at replacing my PC with a Mac- will I still be able to run this setup? I get conflicting answers when I search on whether the HD-PVR will work with Mac. I assume that a new SageTV license will also be required?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhickey View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently using a HD300, that connects to my PC that records with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. I am now looking at replacing my PC with a Mac- will I still be able to run this setup? I get conflicting answers when I search on whether the HD-PVR will work with Mac. I assume that a new SageTV license will also be required?

Thanks!
If you replace your PC with a MAC you will essentially be giving up SageTV7, unless you do one of two things...
1: Run Bootcamp and install Windows and run it that way
2: Install VirtualBox, or Vmware, or Parallels, and install Windows on a virtual machine.

I am not familiar with the Mac versions of Sagetv, but at first glance, there is not even a Mac Server version of SageTV , and the client is still at version 6.x
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I am not familiar with the Mac versions of Sagetv, but at first glance, there is not even a Mac Server version of SageTV , and the client is still at version 6.x
Yes, there is a server version that is present with the main Mac download.. I was running it on two different machines during the eval period. He is correct though that you will be effectively moving from Sage v7 to Sage v6.x as the Mac version does not yet have v7.. I was running mine on an older 1.8Ghz Powermac G5 and it worked great with the HD300's. I can't speak to the tuner device you're asking about though. I was using a pair of HdHomeRun's and they worked just fine.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Why would you want to downgrade to a Mac? Supposedly the HD-PVR works with the Mac version 6.5+.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll be the first to admit that after trying out the Mac server (v6.x) in combination with a pair of HD300's and then trying out a Windows equivalent using SageTV v7, I really like the UI improvements on the V7 server much better. I should also note that IF you move to a v7 server you can't run any Mac clients (v6) and have them talk to the v7 server.. Apparently they're incompatible.. That probably doesn't matter in this case but...