SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Sage User

problem with studdering in recorded shows

I have a problem with recorded shows they seem to studder. The live tv does not studder, play for a couple seconds stop and so on... what is the difference between the settings for the live tv and the recorded tv since both are really being recorded?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Sage Icon

Usually the problem is the other way around.

It would be helpful to know your setup. Tuner, OS etc.

Have you tried to play the recordings in anything besides SageTV? Try media player or VLC and see if they will play back smoothly. Also if they don't do you have another machine to test them on?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

I had the same issue, it turned out to be my virus scan. I excluded the recording and sagetv folders from the live scan and all the future recordings were perfect. Hope this helps!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplingj View Post
I have a problem with recorded shows they seem to studder. The live tv does not studder, play for a couple seconds stop and so on... what is the difference between the settings for the live tv and the recorded tv since both are really being recorded?
So by "studder" do you mean your computer is attaching studs to things or that it's impregnating farm animals?

Seriously though, if you are having stuttering problems, the two suggestions above are probably the best place to start.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Usually the problem is the other way around.

It would be helpful to know your setup. Tuner, OS etc.

Have you tried to play the recordings in anything besides SageTV? Try media player or VLC and see if they will play back smoothly. Also if they don't do you have another machine to test them on?
This stuttering problem only happens when the HD300 connects to my sage server over the internet. On the local network it is fine but the recorded shows seem to play for a couple seconds and stop and so on but the live tv does not do this.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripplingj View Post
This stuttering problem only happens when the HD300 connects to my sage server over the internet. On the local network it is fine but the recorded shows seem to play for a couple seconds and stop and so on but the live tv does not do this.
Well that's a whole different story. If you are connecting across the internet, the HD300 will be in Placeshifter mode, and the Sage Server will transcode videos on the fly to a more compressed format for streaming in order to get the movie to play within the bandwidth that you have available.

It's still odd that live TV would work better than pre-recorded content. Are you sure you are comparing "apples to apples" and are your results repeatable? By that I mean are you comparing two shows recorded using the same capture device at the same resolution?

I know that for example 1080i content seems to be more difficult for the placeshifter to transcode than other formats such as 720p or older standard definition TV (480i). Also, I think h.264 encoded files tend to be more difficult than MPEG-2 encoded files. So, if you are comparing a live broadcast of an SDTV channel being captured by an PVR-150 to a recording of a 1080i program made with the HD-PVR, that would not be an "apples to apples" comparison.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Well that's a whole different story. If you are connecting across the internet, the HD300 will be in Placeshifter mode, and the Sage Server will transcode videos on the fly to a more compressed format for streaming in order to get the movie to play within the bandwidth that you have available.

It's still odd that live TV would work better than pre-recorded content. Are you sure you are comparing "apples to apples" and are your results repeatable? By that I mean are you comparing two shows recorded using the same capture device at the same resolution?

I know that for example 1080i content seems to be more difficult for the placeshifter to transcode than other formats such as 720p or older standard definition TV (480i). Also, I think h.264 encoded files tend to be more difficult than MPEG-2 encoded files. So, if you are comparing a live broadcast of an SDTV channel being captured by an PVR-150 to a recording of a 1080i program made with the HD-PVR, that would not be an "apples to apples" comparison.
yes i only do standard i have 2 identical tuners and i do not do hd. The recorded shows are recorded the same as live tv. I just put the java heap to 1024 but that did not help. I am watching the live tv right now and it is working good but the recorded still studders and is now turning the hd300 off after 5 min.