SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

How about a competitive upgrade offer ?

Good evening,

Well, after lurking in these forums for some time, many months ago I made the plunge ... to SnapStream.

SnapStream had several things that I really, really wanted and that Sage did not have.

Well, there has been quite a bit of talk on the SnapStream forums about Sage 2. So, I thought I would venture over ...

I think I will try Sage 2 and see what I think. It will either make me swtich to Sage or hold me off to version 3.5 of BeyondTV.

There is one herdle though - to buy Sage would be another $80, not to mention a couple of clients, etc.

How about a special offer to existing SnapStream customers ?

This might be the perfect time - while SnapStream users are patiently waiting for 3.5, with multi-tuners, clients, etc. - Sage could very well offer a unique chance to SnapStream customer to purchase Sage for a reduced price and make the move. If Sage is really the better of the two, those customers would most probably also buy some Clients and maybe recorders.

Anyhow - I know that personally, buying Sage at the full price after my investment into SnapStream would make me think twice. However, making me an offer I can't refuse could very lead me to make the move, if Sage proves to be the better of the two.

What do you guys think ?
Old 05-13-2004, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage is so much more stable and if you just like the look of BTV or whatever is their choose of name this name

you can make Sage look like in it
in about one week

with studio but you will probably have to buy sage first
if you sign up for the mailing list they are giving out coupons for Sage for the old pprice of 60
Old 05-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

They have a coupon if you join the mailing list (linkuntil ~ may 21) , not the same as a competitive upgrade, but still...
Old 05-13-2004, 11:40 PM
SageTVaholic

V2OFFER

when you buy, I hope they do not get mad
Old 05-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have given up on SnapStream, they quickly released 3.4.4 and it is extemely buggy including needing to be restarted every 24 hours. Anyway, Glad to be with SageTV, much more stable and has been running for many days on end without Hickups. Sage is much easier to use and navigate with the remote.

Regards,

Mark
Old 05-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks folks for your replies.

I am quite sure I'll give fifteen days to sway me ...

Two main reasons I chose BeyondTV was;

Canadian listings (which Sage was obviously not interested in) which appears solved now - how is that working ?, and

SnapStream.net to allow me to program my PVR from anywhere, including my handheld device, which I know nothing about under Sage. Is anybody doing this with Sage ? How ?

Thanks again.

(PS) I would still think a competitive upgrade price would be a smart marketing decision ...
Old 05-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Berg,

Lester Jacobs created a great plug-in to Sage that I, and several others, are using to grab Canadian listings off of www.zap2it.com 's site. It's pretty straightforward to set up. Check out the Canadian forum on this site (toward the bottom of the forum listings) to find out more.

As for remote access to scheduling in your guide, unfortunately this is currently not a feature. It's the one selling point that BeyondTV still has, if you ask me. I believe they plan on addressing this issue in a future release (but don't quote me on that ). Most everyone who wants remote access to their guide uses VNC, pcAnywhere, remote desktop, or something of that nature to gain access to their PC remotely.

Hope that helps!
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
V2OFFER

when you buy, I hope they do not get mad
No problem on mentioning the coupon code. Just be sure you use it by May 21st.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:57 AM

I would love to see a competitive upgrade. Just got BTV and and not too impressed. Have had it for two weeks now and have yet to get it to run without crashing. Is there a side by side comparison somewhere?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 AM

HTPCNews.com just did a review of Sage 2.0. It also has a review of BTV. You should be able to get the gist of what each offers from that.

As far as stability, other than the poor 350 users, Sage 2.0 is super stable. And I am still a current BTV user .
Old 05-18-2004, 08:28 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

For now the competitive upgrade will be using the coupon code below. That gives you $20 off the price through Friday. From time to time there may also be other deals in the future.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Sage User

This code doesn't work for the Blackbird bundle - is that intentional, or an error with the cart?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:49 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

The code is for purchasing SageTV only, it's not for the bundles.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Thanks for clearing it up, Dan.