SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
This is being address in the next driver update
Are you referring to the audio/video sync issues where with each commercial break, the audio loses sync with the video?
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Are you referring to the audio/video sync issues where with each commercial break, the audio loses sync with the video?
I'm ref to Digital Audio still fake out with AC3 5.1 with no Audio being
recoding how ever no problem what ever using PCM mode and let it encoding in to AAC, thing is I'm using HDMI.

As for audio commercial break loses sync I think there also looking in to why it doing that as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Subforums

Isn't it time the HD Colossus got its own subforum under hardware? Going through 5 pages of posts to find an answer is challenging? Anyone agree (I ask since I know most will disagree )

Thanks!

Neil
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
Isn't it time the HD Colossus got its own subforum under hardware? Going through 5 pages of posts to find an answer is challenging? Anyone agree (I ask since I know most will disagree )

Thanks!

Neil
I think it's time Hauppauge fixed it (with Sages' assistance) so this thread can stop - period.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
no problem what ever using PCM mode and let it encoding in to AAC, thing is I'm using HDMI.

How are you doing this rencode?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I think it's time Hauppauge fixed it (with Sages' assistance) so this thread can stop - period.
A Sage users' petition signed by many, sent to Prez of Hauppauge?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
How are you doing this rencode?
rencode none
Sat set to output PCM over HDMI and let Colossus encoding in to AAC
Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
A Sage users' petition signed by many, sent to Prez of Hauppauge?
I'd like to see a petition to tell Hauppauge tech support to stop ignoring SageTV users. Seriously...its pointless to email them because they either send a form letter or just plain ignore you. If there was another component/HDMI solution on the market, I'd do with that in a heartbeat.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

We should have all seen this coming when they named it:

COLOSSUS

I mean when have you ever heard the term used in a positive way???

Usually I'm describing something as a colossal pile of $#%+...

I mean honestly.

-uberpixel
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

Seriously? Seriously..

I think more "colossal achievement"

Mine runs nearly 12 hours a day (straight), ac3 audio, no problems.

If it is that much of a problem, mail it to me, i'll take it of your hands. I am sure the stress relief will be well worth it.

I think we should get together to thank the Prez of Hauppauge for a wonderful, innovative, and stable product. And if you don't agree, feel free to purchase one of the many other products on the market that provides HD component capture with DD audio. Oh wait, , nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
We should have all seen this coming when they named it:

COLOSSUS

I mean when have you ever heard the term used in a positive way???

Usually I'm describing something as a colossal pile of $#%+...

I mean honestly.

-uberpixel
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Okay, maybe "colossal challenge" is more like it.

I'm frustrated with the bugs that *some* of us are experiencing, but I recognize that trying to deploy hardware into this sort of environment carries a huge risk. Compare the environment we are working in with the controlled environment that major OEM set top boxes are deployed into and you can understand how a Motorola STB can run 24/7 for days on end without fail. They manage the risk by deploying into a more standardized environment and testing their hardware relentlessly until they are sure that it works. That comes at a cost - either in dollars spent or features lost.

Developing a card and drivers that can work correctly (and as advertised) among the seemingly infinite number of hardware and software configurations we are throwing at it must be quite a challenge. That said, *most* of the hardware I've purchased for my various computers over the years has worked out of the box without fail.

I'm not ready to give up on the Colossus yet. Here's hoping Hauppauge and SageTV can work together to make it a Colossal Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
I think more "colossal achievement"
I'm happy for you that your implementation of this hardware is working, but you need to recognize that there are many of us who are still having issues.

-uberpixel
Old 05-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
I'm not ready to give up on the Colossus yet. Here's hoping Hauppauge and SageTV can work together to make it a Colossal Success!

I'm happy for you that your implementation of this hardware is working, but you need to recognize that there are many of us who are still having issues.

-uberpixel
Agreed.

Conceded.

My only wish is a more positive outlook. This is a cutting edge implementation on a high end product. It is very successful. There is still issues. Lets help improve it from great to "colossal success".
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Sage User

I'm pretty new to this whole recording thing. In the last 2 weeks I picked up cable tv, setup my tuners and firewire tuning and have had mostly unstable results. When it works, it works well.

I started off with limited problems using 1 Colossus card. Every now and then the audio would start cutting out, and the video might stutter for a bit, mostly audio though. A nightly restart fixed the issue.

Then I added a 2nd Colossus card. The problem frequented itself more, but I could still manage with a nightly restart. I did notice random BSODs, but they were very rare.

And then I was crazy enough to add a HD PVR to the mix, and now I'm lucky to go 4 hours before I start seeing the problem. However, the BSODs come frequently now.

This all seems to be related to the memory leak in the drivers. I don't think it's really sage, because all these tuners are network tuners, and it only brings that box down. The other box that runs the actual server isn't being restarted and works fine.

I do notice that I can cause the problem to occur myself by channel changing a bunch of times.

Are other people getting BSODs? The audio cutouts in my recordings, frustrating, was ok, but the constant reboots drives me nuts. I can't do anything else on that box since it brings the whole machine down.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysrany View Post
I'm pretty new to this whole recording thing. In the last 2 weeks I picked up cable tv, setup my tuners and firewire tuning and have had mostly unstable results. When it works, it works well. ...
Then I added a 2nd Colossus card. .
Have you tried running with the HD-PVR and remove or disable the Colossus cards?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage User

No, not yet. Maybe over the weekend if I find the time and have the desire to try and get it working. I'm just wondering if the different tuners and drivers are causing any additional conflicts. With the 2 colossus only + the nightly restarts, it seemed like a workable system.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I'd like to see a petition to tell Hauppauge tech support to stop ignoring SageTV users. Seriously...its pointless to email them because they either send a form letter or just plain ignore you. If there was another component/HDMI solution on the market, I'd do with that in a heartbeat.
I am all in favor of a "group" email to Hauppauge. They sometimes respond if you're persistent enough. They tend to respond when the Sage "brass" get involved as well, aka when Sage lets Hauppauge know they've had complaints and are interested in solutions.
How should we go about making them all aware (I can't believe Sage admins don't see these posts - they sure seem to see violations of forum policy) so all parties end up happy.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge includes Sage in their "3rd party software referral list" on their marketing web pages - no doubt with permission. Indeed, where I looked, Sage was #1 in the list.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

How can it be this hard..

OK its 2:30 am and i give up ....

I have been trying to get Colossus running on a Win 7 HTPC.

After much loading and re-loading of drivers and machine restarts i was able to get the WinTV app to work.... but in Sage all i get is an problem rendering the video during the setup process and No signal if i try and use the video source. I must be missing something somewhere. I have also seen a message that says sage was unable to configure the softwaare encoder (or something like that) but i thought the card was doing the encoding in HW.

It really shouldnt be this hard !!!

I do have a couple of specific questions ....
Which driver should i be loading ... the one from the CD ,the one from Hauppage support site, the one specifically for WMC or another one?

what video decoder/renderer configuration is known to work with the card?
Is there some setting/configuration on the card i may have missed?

Note i am trying to use the component video and stereo audio at this point. I'll switch to the optical audio once i get it working.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Sage User

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw...ssus_29111.zip is the driver I used. You can get it from their Colossus support page. I'm assuming you plugged the cables in properly since you got it working in WinTV. I managed to plug the cables in the output once and wondered why I wasn't getting video. Ooops.

I had problems watching videos recorded by the Colossus on one of my boxes. I had to change the renderer from EVR to VMR9. If I tried to use EVR I would have the video stream freeze and audio drop out. Oddly enough, WinTV worked with EVR, and Windows Media PLayer worked too. My other box had no problem using the default settings in windows 7 in any of those programs.

I talked to sage support for a bit about it. I'm still not sure why I can't use EVR in sage one box, but I didn't push back and further to figure it out. I rarely watch TV using that box so it wasn't a big deal to me.

So try that and see if it works.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I am all in favor of a "group" email to Hauppauge. They sometimes respond if you're persistent enough. They tend to respond when the Sage "brass" get involved as well, aka when Sage lets Hauppauge know they've had complaints and are interested in solutions.
How should we go about making them all aware (I can't believe Sage admins don't see these posts - they sure seem to see violations of forum policy) so all parties end up happy.
why do you think Hauppauge isn't working on it? These sorts of problems can be difficult to track down, especially when you add in the complexity inherent with driver development.