SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Well I'm dispointed, I did turn off auto reboot at 5:AM for testing
Before the avg video fake out was about 36 hours now after a few days testing the video fake out about ever 12 hours .

The good news is there no lockups when video fake out to point where it end up BSOD the system like before.

HDMI and Digital Audio still fake out with AC3 5.1 and time some even AAC and AC3 2.0 with no Audio being recoding how ever no probem using PCM mode and let encoding in to AAC.

So I'm going back to older drivers for now.

Note to thoses you manually install the drivers
You must do the Hauppauge Colossus Capture frist then the Hauppauge Colossus Encoder.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Note to thoses you manually install the drivers
You must do the Hauppauge Colossus Capture frist then the Hauppauge Colossus Encoder.
I assume this is not applicable for anyone using a manual "fresh" install, no drivers loaded previously. This would only be applicable for a manual upgrade of the drivers, right?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
I assume this is not applicable for anyone using a manual "fresh" install, no drivers loaded previously. This would only be applicable for a manual upgrade of the drivers, right?
Yes and same and with uninstalling to
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
I just picked a program I was pretty sure wouldn't be in 5.1 audio (like a Women's College Softball game on ESPNU). Then I picked a program that I knew would be in 5.1 (like Sportscenter on ESPN).
Spacecadet, tried several, both 5.1 and 2.0 without issue. However, I will add that my box seems to output AC3 2.0 for stereo channels, which makes sense as that should be the broadcast format. Two thoughts -

1) How is your box outputting stereo signals? Colossus should handle PCM, but can you set your 7100 to do AC3 all the time?

2) Are you positive you don't have a playback issue (what happens when you play back a stereo program in e.g. media player?) I know you said it worked with an HDPVR, but the Colossus uses a different encoder which may make a difference in how the A/V data are muxed.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh View Post
The audio is still getting out of sync with video using SPDIF. I noticed this on Discovery Channel HD today
BMH, me too (despite my prior report to the contrary)! Some very small percentage of the time it just starts that way (have not had that happen yet with the new driver). Most of the time if I restart the program it's fine. Once though I had to reboot the system to make it right.

I finally noticed though when my local provider (FiOS) switches to local commercials during a break, the switchover is where it looses sync, about 1/4 second each break. After an hour long program, the audio leads video by about a full second. Stop and restart LiveTV and the sync is restored. Is this what you see?

So far I've seen in on Discovery HD and History HD, but I bet all the channels where Verizon plugs in local adverts are affected. I'm watching Smithsonian HD right now, so we'll see!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
Spacecadet, tried several, both 5.1 and 2.0 without issue. However, I will add that my box seems to output AC3 2.0 for stereo channels, which makes sense as that should be the broadcast format. Two thoughts -

1) How is your box outputting stereo signals? Colossus should handle PCM, but can you set your 7100 to do AC3 all the time?
You bear in mind that not all channel are in AC3 format there usely a mix of AC3 2.0 and AC3 5.1 and PCM
Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
You bear in mind that not all channel are in AC3 format there usely a mix of AC3 2.0 and AC3 5.1 and PCM

Maybe it's different where you are, but AC3 is the standard for digital TV broadcasting in the US. A cable operator possibly could broadcast PCM since it is a private network, but IMO is extremely unlikely because of the bandwidth requirements.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks again for the help texneus.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my box is not outputting PCM. Haven't had a chance to try the Colossus with the 6200 yet.

Quote:
2) Are you positive you don't have a playback issue (what happens when you play back a stereo program in e.g. media player?) I know you said it worked with an HDPVR, but the Colossus uses a different encoder which may make a difference in how the A/V data are muxed.
This is happening on an HD300. So, I suspect that would rule out a playback/encoder issue.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's different where you are, but AC3 is the standard for digital TV broadcasting in the US. A cable operator possibly could broadcast PCM since it is a private network, but IMO is extremely unlikely because of the bandwidth requirements.
That depend on the Audio format like let say MP2 or even MP3 which automaticly trasoncode in to PCM output by hardware decoder and not just private network.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
BMH, me too (despite my prior report to the contrary)! Some very small percentage of the time it just starts that way (have not had that happen yet with the new driver). Most of the time if I restart the program it's fine. Once though I had to reboot the system to make it right.

I finally noticed though when my local provider (FiOS) switches to local commercials during a break, the switchover is where it looses sync, about 1/4 second each break. After an hour long program, the audio leads video by about a full second. Stop and restart LiveTV and the sync is restored. Is this what you see?

So far I've seen in on Discovery HD and History HD, but I bet all the channels where Verizon plugs in local adverts are affected. I'm watching Smithsonian HD right now, so we'll see!
Honestly, I have not paided attention to when it loses sync but restarting LiveTV does fix it for a little while. I switched to stereo audio earlier today and haven't had an issue since.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

@SHS, I'd love to know what channels broadcast in MP2 or MP3 so I can investigate further.

@BMH, watched Smithsonian for 2 hours. Didn't realize they only do commercial breaks between shows. There were no local commercials between shows. But it still is a clue because the Colossus kept perfect sync the entire time. Who is your provider?

@Spacecadet, sorry then out of ideas as I don't use an extender of any kind (other than shared folders). I do recall reading about some stuttering issues with the HD300, I think in the beta forum. Might check there.

Last edited by texneus; 04-24-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
@SHS, I'd love to know what channels broadcast in MP2 or MP3 so I can investigate further.

@BMH, watched Smithsonian for 2 hours. Didn't realize they only do commercial breaks between shows. There were no local commercials between shows. But it still is a clue because the Colossus kept perfect sync the entire time. Who is your provider?
Dishnetwork and DirecTV where know for using either AC-3 (Dolby Digital), MPEG audio and even Dolby Digital Plus.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

no positive changes for me. Still have audio sync issues, it just takes longer now. Increased from less than 30 min to over and hour. Update fixed nothing for me.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzz71 View Post
no positive changes for me. Still have audio sync issues, it just takes longer now. Increased from less than 30 min to over and hour. Update fixed nothing for me.
Do both of your Colosuss cards have the audio sync issue?

Have you tried different PQ recording settings?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzz71 View Post
Sure it did, you just have to watch only half hour shows glass is half full!!
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hopefully I'm not knocking on wood, but since I installed the new Colossus driver and turned off hdpvr_magic in the sage.properties, my Colossus and HD-PVR have been rock solid for 3 days! Previously I would either have BSODs, failed recordings or frequent audio drops multiple times a day.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelkenny View Post
Hopefully I'm not knocking on wood, but since I installed the new Colossus driver and turned off hdpvr_magic in the sage.properties, my Colossus and HD-PVR have been rock solid for 3 days! Previously I would either have BSODs, failed recordings or frequent audio drops multiple times a day.
to false rigth ?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I played around with hdpvr_magic some time ago as well (though I'm not sure to what it is set right now...). What exactly does this setting do, and when should it be used. Just saying it should be true or false is somewhat questionable.
Can anybody provide more information regarding this setting?
Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

New drivers .111 and "magic=false"

So, upon receiving the new drivers, I changed back the "magic=false" statement to "true", followed Hauppauge's directions to the letter and installed new drivers for Colossus.
Choppy performance that seems to have corrected itself after two reboots.
However, the 7 second stutter and loss of recording on Colossus STILL occurs when a HD PVR recording fires up.
So, re-edited the Sage.properties file again, re-inserting "magic=false" for the HD PVR, and the recording hiccup with Colossus is now gone, aka when a HD PVR recording starts, the Colossus recording ISN'T trashed.
Apparently, Hauppauge has some work to do still.
Therefore, I have NO IDEA what the new drivers are good for.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
I played around with hdpvr_magic some time ago as well (though I'm not sure to what it is set right now...). What exactly does this setting do, and when should it be used. Just saying it should be true or false is somewhat questionable.
Can anybody provide more information regarding this setting?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So, upon receiving the new drivers, I changed back the "magic=false" statement to "true", followed Hauppauge's directions to the letter and installed new drivers for Colossus.
Choppy performance that seems to have corrected itself after two reboots.
However, the 7 second stutter and loss of recording on Colossus STILL occurs when a HD PVR recording fires up.
So, re-edited the Sage.properties file again, re-inserting "magic=false" for the HD PVR, and the recording hiccup with Colossus is now gone, aka when a HD PVR recording starts, the Colossus recording ISN'T trashed.
Apparently, Hauppauge has some work to do still.
Therefore, I have NO IDEA what the new drivers are good for.
It is my understanding it was an attempt by sagetv to mask/fix an issue with the original hdpvr, but they really don't have any proof that it did anything I believe. So I would leave it False regardless.