SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

great news. Thanks for the update.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

What’s the likelihood that Sage will add the Colossus to their line-up of supported tuners? Any idea of how that process gets started?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Very nice. As for Sage, I would say the odds are very, very high, they've supported (AFAIK) just about every Hauppauge tuner since the PVR250.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Very nice. As for Sage, I would say the odds are very, very high, they've supported (AFAIK) just about every Hauppauge tuner since the PVR250.
Except, of course, the announced internal cablecard tuner.. ;-)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Except technically it doesn't exist yet
Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What would be useful is to have multiple component inputs thereby negating the need to tie up two internal slots and eliminating USB issues.

But one problem, as vividweb said, is that it will push you to a full ATX board and they are getting harder to find - I know as I am looking for a new full size ATX board that supports the integrated graphics in some of the Intel i5 and i3 CPUs and they are hard to find.

GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 (currently 109 at newegg) This model uses GigaRAID which I gave up on.
if buying again, I'd get the GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 ($10 more) for the Intel RAID

other than GigaRAID, mine (w/ i3-530) has worked well.
I don't use video hardware acceleration -- get better results using Arcsoft decode and there is plenty of CPU to do so (usually below 25%).

TW

Last edited by teedublu; 01-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Somehow I had missed this thread. (Well I haven't been on the Sage site much recently). This is great news and I hope everything is released as expected. It would be great to replace my HD-PVR. It works about 99% of the time, but I do have an occational glitch which causes me to miss recordings.

I'd also love to see MPEG2 with this card. It would allow much cleaner streaming of any recordings to my Android Phone (via the Android client Fonceur has created). My HDHR recordings stream in much better quality than the H.264 recordings do. I suspect it would also allow for much cleaner placeshifting than the HD-PVR allows right not.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Look like final price going to be $159.
Base on this page
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...on-H.264-Video
Old 01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

to me it is all about reliability.

i have very very few problems with hdpvr recordings but i cannot get liveTV to work without hosing the system, having to repower things, etc. [anyone have a solution to this??]
liveTV is great with HDHR for clear channels but for HDPVR and STB, it is unstable even though recordings are fine

if i can get this to do liveTV without hanging up the system, i'll replace my 2 hdpvr immediately.

it would also be nice if the capture time could be reduced, particularly for liveTV, since a 6 or 8 second wait for each channel change/capture does not make my family feel much love for that aspect of our sage system (they love the rest)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Look like final price going to be $159.
Base on this page
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...on-H.264-Video
Fantastic. Looks like it will support "unencrypted HDMI sources"... what would constitute an encrypted source?

I'm thinking about replacing my HD-PVR with this but I want to make sure that I can still record any and every channel on my cable box.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm also very curious about reliability. I've been running firewire recording for a while, but its a little flaky, and I've decided I'm going to replace it with something else in the near future. I haven't decided if I'll go with an HDHR-Prime (assuming support from SageTV), the USB HD-PVR, or the Colossus. I'm real tempted to go with the HDHR-Prime, but SiliconDust has recently gotten very quiet about whether it will have copy-freely support in things other than Win7MC. So, I'm a little worried they changed paths.

I like my HD-PVR, but its a little flaky (though less so than firewire recording), and I was never able to get digital audio working without regular lock-ups on certain channels (notably, STARZ). With analog audio I only get one lock-up every couple months, which still isn't great, but its not bad either. I'd definitely go with a Colossus over the USB HD-PVR if ends up being more reliable. But I'll probably end up picking one of the three devices before reliability is really known.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Thing is cat6man USB has never been the most unreliability input.
Just look around at all older USB Hardware Encoder you see what mean it kind of gose like this 50% "NoProblem"/ 40% "Problem"/ 10% "CompatibleProblem or HardwareProblem" on reliability this should change becuase with PCIe it should be more 100% Compatible.
Only one of the Hauppauge product was very unreliability know Hauppauge WinTV PCI PVR the very frist PVR which was replace with PVR 250/350 model.

Last edited by SHS; 01-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

MissingRemote's Mikinho (of Yammm fame) will be at CES starting tomorrow and is asking for questions from the community about the Colossus. Please post them here. I already posted mine.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

It would have been REALLY nice to have had a dual tuner version of this, but I guess that would make the cabling kind of ugly. But personally I have no use for the passthrough aspect - but maybe gamers will so all I would ever need is two sets of component cables (plus two SPDIF) coming into the card.

As I mentioned in a previous post the problem may become finding a mobo with enough slots in the future since full size ATX boards are becoming rarer. My local shop has tons of mobos but the only one that fit my need was the Asus P7H57D-V EVO that had enough slots plus firewire.

The good thing about a system using the HD-PVR and the HDHR as tuners is that you don't need slots on the mobo.

By the way - is the MSRP is $159 then what are we likely to see as a street price once it is out for a few months? About $139?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that full ATX boards are becoming rare. Just look at Newegg, there's a ton available.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
but i cannot get liveTV to work without hosing the system, having to repower things, etc. [anyone have a solution to this??]
liveTV is great with HDHR for clear channels but for HDPVR and STB, it is unstable even though recordings are fine

if i can get this to do liveTV without hanging up the system, i'll replace my 2 hdpvr immediately.

it would also be nice if the capture time could be reduced, particularly for liveTV, since a 6 or 8 second wait for each channel change/capture does not make my family feel much love for that aspect of our sage system (they love the rest)
I switched over to DVBlogic controlling the HDPVR's and liveTV is rock solid. When watching live TV from Dish Sat receivers in Windows Media Center (Wife still uses Sage for LiveTV) the channel changing time for me is 5 seconds. 6 seconds from when I select the new channel and 5 seconds from when the current stream stops and the new stream starts. No complaints on channel change times in this house.
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 01-06-2011, 12:08 PM

wayner you have good point there how ever the cost for decode, transcode and encode multiple HD streams up to 1080p60/50 simultaneously with XCode 4100/4200 Series sky rocket 75% perchip over 3100 Series
Hopely in time with the new Sandy Bridge motherboard (Where are AMD??) which allow for up to 8 1x PCIe on the motherbaord.
The real Q going to be who going to start catering to us HTPC Media user.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1 View Post
I have no idea where you're getting the idea that full ATX boards are becoming rare. Just look at Newegg, there's a ton available.
I belive ref to number of slot before the most I seen was 4 max with out it costing an arm and leg like newer 7 slot 16x board
Asus P7H57D and it not only option there was the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1 View Post
I buy my stuff at a shop called Canada Computers that has many shops in the Toronto area. There used to be several options to choose from when I built a PC a couple of years agos with socket 775. But now with socket 1156 the P7H57 was the only board that fit my needs. Sure you may be able to find them at online resellers but I don't find that physically putting a PC together (ie. screwing the mobo into the case, attaching all of the wires, the PC,e tc) is an efficient use of my time and this exercise can be frustrating and painful - cutting your knuckles on sharp metal edges inside the case. I generally pay the shop to physically install the components although I will usually install the OS myself.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I buy my stuff at a shop called Canada Computers that has many shops in the Toronto area. There used to be several options to choose from when I built a PC a couple of years agos with socket 775. But now with socket 1156 the P7H57 was the only board that fit my needs. Sure you may be able to find them at online resellers but I don't find that physically putting a PC together (ie. screwing the mobo into the case, attaching all of the wires, the PC,e tc) is an efficient use of my time and this exercise can be frustrating and painful - cutting your knuckles on sharp metal edges inside the case. I generally pay the shop to physically install the components although I will usually install the OS myself.
I've built many, many systems, and can't remember how long ago it was that I cut myself on sharp edges in a case. A good quality case from a good manufacturer will have rolled edges, and go together quite painlessly.

If I happen to upgrade to full digital cable, one of these new Hauppauge cards will definitely be in my future. I'd rather my tuners be internal than external anyway.