SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Last night I removed all traces of old drivers from old tuner cards and deleted SageTV

Then did a fresh install SageTV that only thing I kept was wiz.bin but no plugin

Today this morning I woke up to see server had crashed which require a reboot to get it back.

I probably will go back to my old analog cards until solution is found for Colossus or SageTV beta, I noticed the more channels jumping I do the longer it take to tune in on the next channel and the most likehood of server crashing.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Sage User

Multiple Colossus Cards

Anyone got 3 or 4 cards working in your server?

RJ
Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjudge View Post
Anyone got 3 or 4 cards working in your server?

RJ
I had two Colossus cards in my server but server keep crashing after several hours of usage if I am surfing or switching lots of channels.

Today I took out one Colossus card and now trying it with only one to see if that stops my issue I am having.

Again I do not know if reason of my crashes is because I have two Colossus in my server but just seeing if taking one out would stops it or not.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software

Last edited by TechBill; 03-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
Still no Colossus love. Sage locked up and I had to remove the Colossus (from Sage) and restart. Setting hdpvr_magic to false did not change the behavior for me.
Awhile back, Slugger had mentioned having success w/ Colossus + HDPVR by locking his STBs at 720p.

My boxes had been locked at 1080i, so I gave this configuration a shot today (I locked the boxes at 720p and set hdpvr_magic=false). Unfortunately, the result was the same: within a few hours Sage was hung.

Grabbed some logs this time and submitted a bug report to SageTV.

Hopefully there are some answers coming soon...
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

hauppauge 45 key remote

anyone have the remote that came with the Colossus working with it? The only key that does anything is the menu key.
HD PVR remote worked great (for me) with the HD PVR.
I re-installed the IR blaster drivers from the Colossus disk - is this likely a Sage-not-being-ready yet problem?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

tv master. Remember the hauppauge ir program (both blaster and receiver) only support one device. And, depending on which devices you have installed, there is no gauarantee that the colossus is that device.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
Awhile back, Slugger had mentioned having success w/ Colossus + HDPVR by locking his STBs at 720p.

My boxes had been locked at 1080i, so I gave this configuration a shot today (I locked the boxes at 720p and set hdpvr_magic=false). Unfortunately, the result was the same: within a few hours Sage was hung.

Grabbed some logs this time and submitted a bug report to SageTV.

Hopefully there are some answers coming soon...
I'm afraid to mention it, but Colossus + HDPVR has "just worked" since day 1. What I thought was choppy recordings, etc. was me just trying to watch 1080i recordings over Placeshifter while testing in the office during hardware installation. I've been running this setup for over a week now and haven't had an issue. Both are happily recording for hours on end simultaneously.

WinXP 32bit SP3 + Java 1.6.0_23 + Sage 7.1.2 + 1 Colossus + 1 HDPVR + 2 PVR-250s. The PVR-250s are installed, but disabled in Sage because I don't have enough satellite receivers to enable all four inputs on the server.

The HD tuners are fed with Shaw Direct DSR505 HD receivers via component + stereo sound. Both STBs are locked at 720p. Recording at 1080i on either device works fine as well (only limited testing with Colossus), but I lock at 720p for Placeshifter - Placeshifter does not handle 1080i recordings at all.

Unlike most, I never really had any issues with the HDPVR prior to this. It locked up on me exactly 3 times over 2+ years.

I'm not posting to rub it in, but just rather to testify that HDPVR + Colossus is possible and after a week or so I'm able to say it's a rather stable combo for me (so far). Obviously, I'll keep everyone posted if something changes.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...

Last edited by Slugger; 03-05-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
I had two Colossus cards in my server but server keep crashing after several hours of usage if I am surfing or switching lots of channels.

Today I took out one Colossus card and now trying it with only one to see if that stops my issue I am having.

Again I do not know if reason of my crashes is because I have two Colossus in my server but just seeing if taking one out would stops it or not.

Bill

After couple of hours the same issue come back with only one Colossus installed.

Guess they need to work on the drivers some more or SageTV wasn't really ready for Colossus yet.

Bill
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
tv master. Remember the hauppauge ir program (both blaster and receiver) only support one device. And, depending on which devices you have installed, there is no gauarantee that the colossus is that device.
hi, yeah, I remember that. I assumed the installation of the Colossus IR Blaster would blow away the irremote.ini from the HD PVR.
As it stands, I can pause, play, all the transport controls, but NO menu functions.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy Problems...

I'm still seeing video stutter with my Colossus.

It seems to happen for every basketball game I try to record.

I reported it as a bug to SageTV. They responded and said it was likely a capture issue and that I should take up this issue with Hauppauge.

Does anyone know how to log a bug with Hauppauge? All I can find is a Facebook page for support. Is that it? No forum?

As far as this being a Hauppauge bug, I've noticed general instability with my Sage setup ever since I installed the Colossus. This would obviously point to the Colossus being a problem, but I couldn't say which end of the setup needs to be fixed.

I've also had 2 server lock-ups (I assume BSOD but it's headless so I'm not really sure - had to power cycle) since I installed this card. Before this my server was rock solid. I can't remember 1 crash in over 2 years of operation on WHS v1.

For the time being, I cannot trust my Colossus. Bummer.

-uberpixel
Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I'm afraid to mention it, but Colossus + HDPVR has "just worked" since day 1. What I thought was choppy recordings, etc. was me just trying to watch 1080i recordings over Placeshifter while testing in the office during hardware installation. I've been running this setup for over a week now and haven't had an issue. Both are happily recording for hours on end simultaneously.

WinXP 32bit SP3 + Java 1.6.0_23 + Sage 7.1.2 + 1 Colossus + 1 HDPVR + 2 PVR-250s. The PVR-250s are installed, but disabled in Sage because I don't have enough satellite receivers to enable all four inputs on the server.

The HD tuners are fed with Shaw Direct DSR505 HD receivers via component + stereo sound. Both STBs are locked at 720p. Recording at 1080i on either device works fine as well (only limited testing with Colossus), but I lock at 720p for Placeshifter - Placeshifter does not handle 1080i recordings at all.

Unlike most, I never really had any issues with the HDPVR prior to this. It locked up on me exactly 3 times over 2+ years.

I'm not posting to rub it in, but just rather to testify that HDPVR + Colossus is possible and after a week or so I'm able to say it's a rather stable combo for me (so far). Obviously, I'll keep everyone posted if something changes.
Did you ever try recording SD shows not in HD resolutions? I don't have any problems recording in 1080i (with SPDIF), but I used to record SD shows in 480p with my old HD PVR (I also record from a DSR 505). This causes now problems with the Colossus, at least on the playback side within Sage (playing the recordings outside of Sage works fine).
I might temporary record all in 1080i as a workaround, but that's kind of a waste of disk space.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Did you ever try recording SD shows not in HD resolutions? I don't have any problems recording in 1080i (with SPDIF), but I used to record SD shows in 480p with my old HD PVR (I also record from a DSR 505). This causes now problems with the Colossus, at least on the playback side within Sage (playing the recordings outside of Sage works fine).
I might temporary record all in 1080i as a workaround, but that's kind of a waste of disk space.
You mean set the DSR505 to native output so it records SD in 480p and HD in 720p or 1080i? I never tried it for any length of time because when I got the HDPVR the consensus on the forums at that time was to just lock your STB on 1080i or 720p. I've had success with that approach and haven't bothered changing it.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Update on my Colosuss experience

It has been 6 days since my PC with the Colosuss installed in it BSOD'd and so far no more system crashes or audio drop outs. I think the main reasons my system is not crashing or producing audio drop outs due to the Colosuss, is that I stop/start the Sage server each day and I do not use the Colosuss for viewing live TV. Neither of these work arounds is much of a sacrifice for me because I rarely use Sage for live viewing and the stop/restart is scheduled.

The other problem I was having with audio hum was solved by using a ground loop insulater.

My opinion is that either the Colosuss itself, its driver and or Sage's drivers is the cause of the BSOD and system crashes and seems to be strongly tied to the viewing of live TV and possibly the max'ing out of java heap. The frustration is that it is like the chicken and the egg. Contact Hauppauge and they feel it is a Sage issue, contact Sage and they feel it is a Hauppauge issue. I have yet to read that either acknowledges or is working on any of the Colussus/Sage issues. However, this is not totally unexpected given the newness of the product and my experience so far with both companies support is quite good.

SHS,

Is anything at Hauppauge in the works in terms of the Colosuss?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 03-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Not necessarily.
Are we sure it doesn't support 8ch LPCM it out-of-the-box already?*
I had a look at their product page the other day & it isn't very clear.

I'm amazed that some DirecTV and Dish content uses "HD" audio?
If so that would create a much stronger argument as-to-why they should implement 8ch LPCM w/support for DD/DTS "HD" formats.

*Doubt it...
And if it supported "HD" DD/DTS that'd definitely be mentioned!
Yes I'm sure it dosen't support 8ch LPCM
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 AM
SageTVaholic

First thing I noticed about Colossus over HD PVR: faster channel changes.
HD PVR = 20 seconds. Colossus = 7 seconds
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
So, and you'll chuckle at this . . . I replaced the irremote.ini file from the Colossus install with the one that is included with the HD-PVR. Result: full remote control keypad operation restored.
Strange.
Whoever is in charge of IR Blasting at Hauppauge is having a bad career.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-06-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So, and you'll chuckle at this . . . I replaced the irremote.ini file from the Colossus install with the one that is included with the HD-PVR. Result: full remote control keypad operation restored.
Strange.
Whoever is in charge of IR Blasting at Hauppauge is having a bad career.
The irremote.ini file you mentioned (found in the Windows directory), gets installed when you install the Hauppauge drivers. It contains entries for each app that you might want to use the remote with, plus a few defaults for undefined apps. Be default, it does not have any entries for SageTV.

When you install SageTV, there is a checkbox in the installation wizard that asks if you want support for Hauppauge remote. If you check this box, it will overwrite or modify the default irremote.ini file with some entries for SageTV. This is what allows it to work properly.

If you later re-install the Hauppauge drivers, it will overwrite the custom file that Sage created. Installing Sage last, or having a backup of that irremote.ini file that you can copy over are the solution to this problem.

By the way, you can also modify that ini file yourself to allow the Hauppauge remote to work with other applications (there are some old writeups on this topic floating around on the forums if you are interested).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
The irremote.ini file you mentioned (found in the Windows directory), gets installed when you install the Hauppauge drivers. It contains entries for each app that you might want to use the remote with, plus a few defaults for undefined apps. Be default, it does not have any entries for SageTV.

When you install SageTV, there is a checkbox in the installation wizard that asks if you want support for Hauppauge remote. If you check this box, it will overwrite or modify the default irremote.ini file with some entries for SageTV. This is what allows it to work properly.

If you later re-install the Hauppauge drivers, it will overwrite the custom file that Sage created. Installing Sage last, or having a backup of that irremote.ini file that you can copy over are the solution to this problem.

By the way, you can also modify that ini file yourself to allow the Hauppauge remote to work with other applications (there are some old writeups on this topic floating around on the forums if you are interested).
All I know is, the only install that allows ALL the buttons to function on the 45 key remote is the HD PVR install. True, there is a "modified" irremote.ini that's floating around this site, but the only native version that works (and it seems to work for ALL Hauppauge products in my case) is the version that installed with the HD PVR, which was installed AFTER Sage I believe. I always check the Hauppauge box when setting up a tuner, but in the case of the Colossus, that didn't make many of the 45 keys operate with Sage.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-06-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

too good to be true I guess . . .
After half a day of flawless operation, the Colossus is now dropping recordings mid-stream, and unless you manually wake it up while it's in progress, it trashes the time from when it crashed until the wake-up.
If you don't manually wake it up, the recording is completely trashed from that point until completion.

No way to test why this is happening, since Sage doesn't "officially" support the card yet, so I guess bug reporting will be necessary.
This is Sage 7.1.2.249, using component and spdif

testing continues with different recording data rates
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
too good to be true I guess . . .
After half a day of flawless operation, the Colossus is now dropping recordings mid-stream, and unless you manually wake it up while it's in progress, it trashes the time from when it crashed until the wake-up.
If you don't manually wake it up, the recording is completely trashed from that point until completion.

No way to test why this is happening, since Sage doesn't "officially" support the card yet, so I guess bug reporting will be necessary.
This is Sage 7.1.2.249, using component and spdif

testing continues with different recording data rates
Out of curiosity what is your java heap size when the Colosuss crashes? This probably had nothing to do with the Colosuss's behavior but I am curious.

What do you mean when you say you manually wake up the Colosuss when it is recording?

Sorry for the all the questions but why are you changing the recording data rates? Seems like you are having enough issues without messing with that.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 03-06-2011 at 08:04 PM.