SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1701 View Post
Actually Phareous, that's it - it frequently happens with mine no matter what time I set the updates to happen. And then sometimes it does not. And I do have mine sent to send "Select" before changing channels. And a lot of time I have it set to record old movies that play at 2:00 AM since the tuner is tied up early evenings with stuff for our son or family.
Did you disable the inactivity timeout?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I don't know if it can be disabled? I didn't look too closely when I set it up, but when I went to that screen all it let you change was the time (default 3 AM)

UPDATE: Looks like maybe you can disable it, but you can't disable the system update part. So when it gets a system update, it will still turn itself off. Haven't verified this.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ork+inactivity
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Well there's two things, there's an inactivity timeout, which can be set for some number of hours, I think default is 4. You can disable this so the box won't shut itself off after 4 hours or something.

The other thing is the nightly update, which you can't disable.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

That why I HATE Dishnetwork inactivity timeout
Thanks god DirecTV dosen't have that
Any way I final rev my card today
It being hook up to DirecTV H24-100 and so far it working well in WinTV7 and Showbiz now on to the SageTV headack hehehe
Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Inactivity, as mentioned, CAN be turned off easily enough in the menus. The nightly update USED to be able to be turned off as well, but that feature got disabled a year or two ago. You can, at least, move it to wahtever time of day you want, but it's hardly ideal.

At least I get the channels I want with Dish. DTV doens't have certain channels that I consider a must... and my local cable co DOES have those channels, but not in HD.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone using SageTV compression on Colossus recordings?

I been using SageTV compression on SDTV recordings when I had the PVR-500 but today I realized it won't work with ts recording from Colossus.

With ts recording compressed to avi the picture is still great but there no sound at all.

Is there a different compression setting I should use on SageTV for ts files from Colossus recordings?

Thank you for your inputs!

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I just set mine to auto update at 3:00 am and made the box self tune at 3:30 am never had a issue a d don't have to send select before tuning.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
So you can use HDMI on the VIP211k but not if you want to watch PPV? We rarely do PPV but have gotten a few free ones lately (for doing autopay)
That is my understanding yes.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Inactivity, as mentioned, CAN be turned off easily enough in the menus. The nightly update USED to be able to be turned off as well, but that feature got disabled a year or two ago. You can, at least, move it to wahtever time of day you want, but it's hardly ideal.

At least I get the channels I want with Dish. DTV doens't have certain channels that I consider a must... and my local cable co DOES have those channels, but not in HD.
I know Fuzzy I used to be with Dish Network but I still did not like setup a self tune at 5:00 even know I never had an major issue othere then a few updatae which cuases problem with self tune at 5:00 where I remove it and re add it in.

Last edited by SHS; 02-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Spoke too soon; audio drop outs

Like so many others in this post I spoke too soon regarding audio. Tonight I had at least 8 shows recorded by the colosuss and all of them have audio drop outs. They were recorded on three different channels and I confirmed that the drop out are indeed in the recording.

Running CableTV + Component + Analog audio

UPDATE: Just after posting this my server PC BSOD'd. After rebooting the audio issue was not there. First time my PC has BSOD's since I built it 2.5yrs ago. Why would the audio fix itself after a reboot?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 02-28-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

HDPVR + Colossus + mmc/hdpvr_magic=false = Working

I'll probably regret posting this, but feel obligated after reporting problems late last week...

Originally I had reported that I was unable to run the HDPVR + Colossus side by side because the HDPVR was producing recordings that were choppy/unwatchable.

Well, when I was watching these recordings I was doing it via Placeshifter on my laptop from my office because I was fiddling with all the hardware on the server, etc. When I added the new HD receiver, I hooked it up to the HDPVR and failed to notice that it was locked on 1080i. Placeshifter + 1080i H.264 recordings = choppy playback, always has.

Tonight Sage support asked me to get some logs of my issue and so I reenabled the HDPVR, but this time noticed the stb was on 1080i and then it all made sense. Put it on 720p and then life was good. Been recording from the Colossus and HDPVR simultaneously for over an hour now.

I will say that I've kept mmc/hdpvr_magic=false as when I did set it to true last week it did cause the errors with the Colossus ("device is no longer producing output").

I only say I regret making this post because you know once you say you've got something working, it tends to break. I've got a full lineup of HD recordings scheduled for the next few hours on both devices. I guess we'll find out soon enough. However, I did want to mention that my original problems were a placeshifter issue, not a Colossus + HDPVR issue.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
Like so many others in this post I spoke too soon regarding audio. Tonight I had at least 8 shows recorded by the colosuss and all of them have audio drop outs. They were recorded on three different channels and I confirmed that the drop out are indeed in the recording.

UPDATE: Just after posting this my server PC BSOD'd. After rebooting the audio issue was not there. First time my PC has BSOD's since I built it 2.5yrs ago. Why would the audio fix itself after a reboot?
Kind of strange, but I haven't seen any problems related to audio (using spdif). Video has been sluggish at times, though only on some SD channels. HD channels seem to be fine ?!
I turned down the bit rate to the previous 13.5 Mbps that I was using with the hd pvr and that seems to be better...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
You might verify it is sending Select properly... ie turn off the receiver and then tell sage to change the channel. I found mine wasn't doing it even though it was configured to and I had to fight for a while with the .ir file to get it working. You could maybe also set the update to happen at 5 am or something... I'm surprised you say it happens anytime... I've only had mine for a few days (upgraded from old dish receivers) so i guess we'll see if I run into that problem. I wished the updates could be turned off like the old receivers. I'll be using two colossus cards with my dish receivers so hopefully I will be in the hit crowd and not the miss crowd
It is - I have a small monitor hooked up to the 211K to test it and it shows the banner every time I send the "select" key.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
It ignores that, believe it or not. Go figure.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post

I have had two bsod yesterday on my win 7 64 bit server. It is too Early for me to blame sage since I just built this server this weekend and did the Collusis at same time. But the Collusus wasn't even recording or working when it bsod. I screwed up and used my w7 disk with sp1 already on it so not sure if sp1 is screwing things up as well. I haven't had a chance to look at my system logs yet though both bsod's it rebooted and worked properly after.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I have had two bsod yesterday on my win 7 64 bit server. It is too Early for me to blame sage since I just built this server this weekend and did the Collusis at same time. But the Collusus wasn't even recording or working when it bsod. I screwed up and used my w7 disk with sp1 already on it so not sure if sp1 is screwing things up as well. I haven't had a chance to look at my system logs yet though both bsod's it rebooted and worked properly after.
My BSOD happened just as I was selecting a channel from the Sage TV Guide to watch live on my PC. I was troubleshooting the audio problem at the time and had watched several other channels. So in this instance I am fairly certain the BSOD is related to Sage/Colosuss.

FWIW when the audio drop outs were happening; playing the show live had no audio drop outs but the recording did.

I recorded 5 shows during the night, after the reboot and BSOD, and the audio is fine.

Still looking for answers!?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Will Hauppauge Colossus only work in 7.1.2.beta?

I saw post saying...
(Initially support will be limited to SageTV 7.x. An minor update is required for SageTV.)

Where do we get the update, or is Colossus update only in 7.1.2?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
I saw post saying...
(Initially support will be limited to SageTV 7.x. An minor update is required for SageTV.)

Where do we get the update, or is Colossus update only in 7.1.2?

Thanks
Should be 7.1.2 and later. See here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54162
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath the only HBR source is a Blu-ray player so that's a nogo due to HDCP. I'd be very surprised if it did anything better than 2ch stereo.
Thanks,

Alas that wasn't my question, I'll repost the entire post for clarity.
Along with the follow-up post that clarified things further.

Last edited by jalyst; 03-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
If under stand you rigth you want just cap/dump audio only is that rigth?
Yes ideally "HD" audio via HDMI, but I suspect the HDMI capture side is limited to 2ch PCM only.
This seems to be common with most HDMI capture cards, only found 2 so far that do a bit better.

So I'd also be interested in whether the DD5.1 captured via toslink, is also able to be dumped.

Quote:
The problem is Dolby Digital licenses cost so must likey it be just as limited to grabbing only stereo quality or bitstream
So you think colossus's HDMI capture may be able to grab > 2ch LPCM & bitstream that?
But not the encoded/compressed DD or DTS "HD" surround formats? e.g. DTS-MA, True-HD etc.

Quote:
Pretty sure, even the included software has to reinitialize the card if you change bitrate settings, even in preview mode.
I don't suppose you have some time to verify that there's no option to dump 2ch PCM captured via HDMI, or DD5.1 captured via toslink?
I'd be ever so grateful if you could, of course no super urgency, only when suits you!

Quote:
Pretty sure it's just stereo or AC3. I'm not aware of any HDMI capture cards that support multichannel PCM.
There's this, but it aint (or wasn't) cheap & has 'restrictions'
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...95#post1182895
And this, I suspect it's only 2ch pcm, but appears to support dd/dts
http://www.digitalnow.com.au/CaptureX_HDMI.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphipps View Post
Just to confirm, I have colossus working with directv using HDMI for audio and video using ethernet tuning, and it is working really well. Tuning seems to be faster and I have been watching it all day and not had any issues with video or audio...
What's Ethernet tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Wow, after reading this post, I went and tried HDMI.
Now I am getting both video and audio from my DirectTV via HDMI input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Got the same working on a vip211k from dishnewtork. Only issue I had was I have to set audio to pcm wouldn't handle dolby digital through hdmi...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Both receivers work over HDMI but when they are set to output Dobly Digital 5.1 the picture is good but I just get a buzzing on the audio. Reset to stereo output they work on HDMI but I want the DD so am back to component.
So have you guys tried it with sources other than your STB, where in-theory it shouldn't work?

Would you say....
It's definitive that the HDMI capturer is limited to 2ch PCM* & can't even grab compressed 'SD' audio formats? i.e. DD/DTS 5.1

*irrespective of source