SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Why is the hdmi capture limited to 1080i?
The chipset don't have support 1080p
Quote:
Some recent hdmi capture cards I've seen do 1080p
Where and most like a Professional Video Editing Card cost major donuts
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
The chipset don't have support 1080p
Oh poo

Quote:
Where and most like a Professional Video Editing Card cost major donuts
one e.g.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/av...l/sk1.jpg.html
In Japan, but there are ways to get hold of such things

I don't suppose you know the answers to the other questions in my previous post?

Thank-you.

Last edited by jalyst; 02-26-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Oh poo

one e.g.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/av...l/sk1.jpg.html
In Japan, but there are ways to get hold of such things

I don't suppose you know the answers to the other questions in my previous post?

Thank-you.
I know about that one but why wait there always the Monster HD 264 even know it USB model it all ready well know that in Japan you can get best stuff but it going cost you pettey penny about $500 big with S/H

Are you ref to this "Any idea on the audio limitations of the "HDMI capture" aspect of this card?" that I don't know

Last edited by SHS; 02-26-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Sage User

Alas I'm not interested in external.
If the best option's overseas & costs a bit more, that hasn't stopped me before.
But I'm not saying its the best option, more to asses yet.

Can you please help me with this?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&postcount=560
Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
That eazy to add
You will have to close SageTV, not sleep
Then you will need to open the sage.properties file with notepad add the below to lines

mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Constant\ Rate=videobitrate\=20000000|vbr\=0
mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Variable\ Rate=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=1|peakvideobitrate\=20000000

See below screenshot

Close Notepad and Save file restart SageTV and have some

thanks SHS!

a few followup questions:
1. the parameters you show are for higher quality bit rate recording. what parameters are in effect before we make the change
2. assuming it can be done the same way, what would the lines be for increasing quality/bit rate for hd-pvr?
3. do you expect the colossus to have better video recording quality than the hd-pvr or are reports of this due to differences in the default bit rate settings?

edit: one more..................if we want to do this for both hdpvr and colossus, does the setting name have to be the same for both, so it can be selected as the recording quality? or can the be set/selected individually for hdpvr and colossus?

Last edited by cat6man; 02-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

On the VIP 211k I did fiddle around with the audio settings (Dolby/PCM, and line vs RF mode settings).

None of these seemed to make a difference. I couldn't find anyway to break out the audio from the HDMI.

Did any of you guys have luck when you tried the HDMI on the vip211k?

if it were the encryption i'd assume that the video would be no good also, but its fine.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Just to put this in perspective from what I've seen in the few hours that I used it, the Colossus works no worse than the USB HD PVR. In many aspects it looks better and is an improvement over the USB version. Maybe you should start with one to give it try.
I'll disagree with that. My HD PVR is flawless. Within 24 hours of installing the Colossus, my Sage TV setup was so unstable I had to remove the Colossus as a tuner from Sage TV. The card is still installed in my PC, waiting for the next driver/Sage revision to try again.

From what I've seen, the Colossus is about as stable as the HD PVR was on day 1. In time, I'm sure it will be superior to the HD PVR, but right now I don't trust enough to enable it in my system.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Thank You !!!, I will give this a try.

EDIT:
Where do I put that string in the newer properties file. I don't have the sections that are referred to for placement on mine.
I just made the change on both my units. The movie I first noticed PQ issues on is showing again on Monday on the same channel I previously saw the issue, so I'll be doing a nearly direct comparison. If I see the artifacts go away, I'll record it at the old setting again and post some screenshots of both, so people can see the difference.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Are you ref to this "Any idea on the audio limitations of the "HDMI capture" aspect of this card?"
I'm referring to this:
Quote:
You mean I can't skip the transcoding, are you absolutely sure?
Remember it's only the audio I want to "grab", video can continue to my LCD TV.
And this:
Quote:
I'd love to use it's HDMI-in to capture 8-ch LPCM that uses the latest DD/DTS formats, namely; TrueHD, DTS-MA.
But I doubt that there'll be a "HDCP hole" like there is in the Avermedia card...
And even if there is, like the Avermedia it'll prolly be limited to grabbing only 48kHz/2ch PCM/16-bit, right?
Thank-you.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I'm off to BB to get an optical cable. I will report back later.

S
Ugh. I had to do this for something a year or two ago when I needed a certain cable "immediately." I couldn't bear to look it up on monoprice to see what the cost differential was.

Alas, I guess there is some benefit to being able to drive out and buy something right away rather than wait for shipping.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is anyone using the Colosuss day in and day out?

I received my Colosuss about a week ago and I am planning on installing it tomorrow. I have been following this thread and I was wondering if anyone has completely switched over to the Colosuss and are using iit on an everyday basis?

I will be replacing my PVR150 with it and hooking it via component to my cable TV Motorola STB using USB-URIT for channel changing. Initially I would like to be able to record the shows that my PVR150 does, which means that my initial expectations for video and audio are very basic. Ultimately though I am hoping to record more channels in HD.

I have already upgraded to the latest STV beta and so far that seems to be working properly. My PC has recently been imaged and I have a full backup copy of the SageTV folder. I will be sure to use the zip file provided in this thread for the Colosuss drivers. Am I forgetting anything?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!

Last edited by bits; 02-26-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

I received mine on Tuesday and immediately replaced my HDPVR with it. It's been happily recording ever since. No issues to report, it "just worked".

This is on WinXP Home SP3 32bit with Sage 7.1.2. I've been using component input with stereo sound exclusively. Though I do plan on trying optical today.

It's probably worth noting that I didn't replace the HDPVR for any reason other than I only have one HD satellite receiver available for my Sage server. I've got another on order and when I receive it I plan on running the HDPVR along side the Colossus. I never had any issues with my HDPVR in the 2+ years I've had it (I've missed exactly 3 recordings due to HDPVR lockups in 2+ years and I've made 100s, if not well over a 1000 recordings with the device).

So far I've had no issues with the Colossus - I just installed it and started using it right away. Hopefully the status quo remains and I'll be able to add my HDPVR back in and hopefully a second Colossus once I'm satisfied with its stability and performance. Once I do that then I'll remove the PVR-250 cards and be exclusively HD.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I received mine on Tuesday and immediately replaced my HDPVR with it. It's been happily recording ever since. No issues to report, it "just worked".

This is on WinXP Home SP3 32bit with Sage 7.1.2. I've been using component input with stereo sound exclusively. Though I do plan on trying optical today.

It's probably worth noting that I didn't replace the HDPVR for any reason other than I only have one HD satellite receiver available for my Sage server. I've got another on order and when I receive it I plan on running the HDPVR along side the Colossus. I never had any issues with my HDPVR in the 2+ years I've had it (I've missed exactly 3 recordings due to HDPVR lockups in 2+ years and I've made 100s, if not well over a 1000 recordings with the device).

So far I've had no issues with the Colossus - I just installed it and started using it right away. Hopefully the status quo remains and I'll be able to add my HDPVR back in and hopefully a second Colossus once I'm satisfied with its stability and performance. Once I do that then I'll remove the PVR-250 cards and be exclusively HD.
I received mine on Monday but had to remove it due to stability issues which also affected my once stable farm of 2 HDPVR's. But this weekend I intend to re-enable it and test some more. It seems that most of the users not having any problems are using stereo audio and not spdif so I will try it again without optical audio and see how stable it is. This may just be the same growing pains experienced in the early days of the HDPVR with spdif.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Remember it's only the audio I want to "grab", video can continue to my LCD TV.
If under stand you rigth you want just cap audio only is that rigth? if yes then that I don't know for sure being I don't have my card so it maybe possable but if it anything like HD-PVR USB model then no you can't do that.

Quote:
I'd love to use it's HDMI-in to capture 8-ch LPCM that uses the latest DD/DTS formats, namely; TrueHD, DTS-MA.
But I doubt that there'll be a "HDCP hole" like there is in the Avermedia card...
And even if there is, like the Avermedia it'll prolly be limited to grabbing only 48kHz/2ch PCM/16-bit, right?
The problem is Dolby Digital licenses cost so must likey it be just as limited to grabbing only stereo quality or bitstream
Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
thanks SHS!

a few followup questions:
1. the parameters you show are for higher quality bit rate recording. what parameters are in effect before we make the change
2. assuming it can be done the same way, what would the lines be for increasing quality/bit rate for hd-pvr?
3. do you expect the colossus to have better video recording quality than the hd-pvr or are reports of this due to differences in the default bit rate settings?

edit: one more..................if we want to do this for both hdpvr and colossus, does the setting name have to be the same for both, so it can be selected as the recording quality? or can the be set/selected individually for hdpvr and colossus?
1: that I don't know being they have changes over years maybe one of the dev can post it being you can't see them where it use to be in sage.properties file.

2: The same as what I all ready post other then Bit rate change profile name change like below
mmc/python2_encoding/HDPVR\ Max\ Constant\ Rate=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=0
mmc/python2_encoding/HDPVR\ Max\ Variable\ Rate=videobitrate\=9500000|vbr\=1|peakvideobitrate\=13500000

3: That hard to say I real wish it was here but Hauppauge CEO hasn't sent me the Colossus card I'm still waiting.

edit: you can setup individual capture quality for both the hdpvr and colossus just the way you want it with in SageTV under Setup | Detailed Setup | Multimedia | Recording Quality.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Wait the dish vip211 is not putting encryption on your hdmi??? Now I need to hurry up and try mine.
Yes, mine is, though I've been unable to figure out how to get it to capture usable audio on all channels over HDMI.

Quote:
Pretty sure, even the included software has to reinitialize the card if you change bitrate settings, even in preview mode.

Quote:
Also what of my 2nd paragraph above...
Any idea on the audio limitations of the "HDMI capture" aspect of this card?
Pretty sure it's just stereo or AC3. I'm not aware of any capture cards that support multichannel PCM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1: that I don't know being they have changes over years maybe one of the dev can post it being you can't see them where it use to be in sage.properties file.
When I put my card in it defaulted to the "h.264 best" setting, which is 12Mbps CBR afaik.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Anyone using Colossus alongside HDPVR?

So after bragging about having no issues, I tried to put my HDPVR in use along side the Colossus and all hell broke loose.

First I tried optical sound with my Colossus, no dice. But I got the same results I did with the HDPVR... choppy video and broken up audio. I think this is more to do with my sat receiver and/or the cheap optical cable I bought on eBay to test with than anything so I'm back to stereo sound on both devices for now (and that's fine with me anyway).

Now the real problems...

So I added my HDPVR back along side the Colossus as an input source. Fired up Sage and the Colossus was working fine. Then I left it recording and tried to watch something on the HDPVR... no good. The video and audio was extremely choppy, unwatchable. Stopped recording on the Colossus and tried the HDPVR again - same result. Tried Colossus on its own, no problems. Tried HDPVR again - same result.

As part of the Colossus install, I set mmc/hdpvr_magic=false (an experimental suggestion by Narflex) in Sage.properties. Being that was the only thing I changed, I reverted that setting back to true. Started up Sage again, loaded up live tv on HDPVR and voila! All was good again with the HDPVR... now I was happy. Started another recording with the Colossus and started watching it, no problems. Excellent! Now I'm really happy.

Left both devices recording for a few mins and all looked good... after about 5 mins or so Sage generates a system message: Colossus has stopped producing output. Oh no!

So, quickly disabled HDPVR, set mmc/hdpvr_magic=false, reenabled my PVR-250 for second input, fired up Sage, did quick tests. Everything seems to be back to where I started. Colossus is happily recording Syracuse/Georgetown game (20+ mins now with no errors reported).

Initial conclusion:

(My) HDPVR needs mmc/hdpvr_magic=true to function properly or else I get choppy video/broken audio. The Colossus doesn't seem to like this setting and only works if it's false, but the setting is global and they both use it (Narflex has confirmed this in another thread). So I'm not able to use an HDPVR and Colossus at the same time.

Colossus + PVR-250 seems stable (been running like this since Tues and once I reverted everything back to this setup I haven't had any issues so far today). HDPVR + PVR-250 = rock solid (2+ yrs with this setup and 0 issues).

Colossus + HDPVR: No good. Looks like I may need the mmc/hdpvr_magic setting to be device specific instead of global.

I'm on WinXP SP3 32bit, Java 1.6.0_23 and Sage 7.1.2. I've also sent these findings off to Sage support. Anyone else using HDPVR + Colossus successfully?
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...

Last edited by Slugger; 02-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Eureka!! It is working hdmi with audio on spdif from a vip 211k not the old 211. It took some changing of the settings on the box to get the sound to work through spdif I couldn't get it to work through hdmi.

This is in wintv7 now to try sagetv wish me luck
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

thanks for the update slugger...............i guess that's why it is a beta.

i'm going to experiment with SHS' higher quality bit rate configurations on the hdpvr and get that sorted out before i add the colossus back into my system.

(just checked my system and i am also running with hdpvrmagic=true)