SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Colossus High Definition Video Recorder

I saw this on the Hauppauge website. Under compatible 3rd party software it shows SageTV. Has anybody tried this yet? And if it does work, can I replace my HVR-1800 card with this one?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._colossus.html

* merged *

FORGIVE MY POST. MY MESSAGE WAS MERGED WITH THIS THREAD, AND WELL, MY QUESTION IS ANSWERED!

Last edited by 214b1; 02-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
Hey Folks,

I just put both of my new colossus cards in my pc, which was a fresh Win7 64-bit install. Running 2.3b of the Hauppauge software and the latest sage beta.

I have 2x VIP 211k Dish receivers

When i'm connected through component audio and video are fine

When I connect HDMI the video is fine but the audio is nothing but a constant string of crackling. It happens on both receivers/both cards.

Any ideas?

I have done all the obvious things like replacing cables etc. The fact that it happens on both makes me think that something else is going on.

Help!

>> Colossus also has an HDMI input port, so you can record HD video at up to 1080i from a un-encrypted HDMI source.
Note: most cable and satellite TV set top boxes encrypt HDMI output, so you cannot record from these sources. <<

you need to use component.

matt
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
And yes my Colossus actually locked up late last night, after a number of channel changes...
(and no, it doesn't have a button to switch on/off, but you can disable/re-enable via device manager if that happens)
that is not good...........and i hadn't thought about the lack of the ability to power cycling..........good point to remember.............do you think disable/re-enable is equivalent to a power cycle?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
If you are referring to the "Fair" "Good" etc setting then yes, otherwise no.

I didn't know there was a selection for the recording method, please share with me how.

EDIT:
We are talking about the older HD-PVR here right?
can you remind us how to change the bit rate? is this in sage.properties?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
Hey Folks,

I just put both of my new colossus cards in my pc, which was a fresh Win7 64-bit install. Running 2.3b of the Hauppauge software and the latest sage beta.

I have 2x VIP 211k Dish receivers

When i'm connected through component audio and video are fine

When I connect HDMI the video is fine but the audio is nothing but a constant string of crackling. It happens on both receivers/both cards.

Any ideas?

I have done all the obvious things like replacing cables etc. The fact that it happens on both makes me think that something else is going on.

Help!
You may want play around VIP211 audio setting maybe your useing the wrong audio mode.
Ho if I recall rigth on VIP211 you can disable HDMI Audio and just used Optical audio output dbl check your setting on VIP211 and try play around with it.

matt91 I don't think it a case of encrypt HDMI output more like a case audio problem becuase he should not be get anything for VIP211 this tell me it not lock down

Last edited by SHS; 02-25-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post
Since I recently starting noticing PQ issues, I was interested in finding this out myself and did some forum searching. Start with this thread. I haven't made the change myself, since shows are currently recording, but I will be making the listed change tomorrow.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
http://www.sagetv.com/2_papers/HPquality.txt
Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Sage Icon

Mine came yesterday. I started the install 4 hours ago and what a pain in the ...

I still don't get any audio from Sage (set to component + S/PDIF) but I do in WinTV.

Before I was unable to get any video either until I finally connected the video passthru breakout cable and now I'm thinking I need to connect an optical audio cable to the passthru output.

I'm off to BB to get an optical cable. I will report back later.

S
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Since I recently starting noticing PQ issues, I was interested in finding this out myself and did some forum searching. Start with this thread. I haven't made the change myself, since shows are currently recording, but I will be making the listed change tomorrow.
Thank You !!!, I will give this a try.

EDIT:
Where do I put that string in the newer properties file. I don't have the sections that are referred to for placement on mine.

Last edited by AlphaCrew; 02-25-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Wait the dish vip211 is not putting encryption on your hdmi??? Now I need to hurry up and try mine.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Mine came yesterday. I started the install 4 hours ago and what a pain in the ...

I still don't get any audio from Sage (set to component + S/PDIF) but I do in WinTV.

Before I was unable to get any video either until I finally connected the video passthru breakout cable and now I'm thinking I need to connect an optical audio cable to the passthru output.

I'm off to BB to get an optical cable. I will report back later.

S

Analog audio works so I'm using that until I figure out what's wrong with Sage and S/PDIF.

To repeat, the Colossus S/PDIF works in WinTV 7 but not Sage.
Collosus Analog does work in Sage.

The HD-PVR S/PDIF does work in Sage.

Colossus video did not work in Sage until I connected the pass-thru dongle.

S
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
that is not good...........and i hadn't thought about the lack of the ability to power cycling..........good point to remember.............do you think disable/re-enable is equivalent to a power cycle?
I don't know. But the Colossus captured again afterwards.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Maybe it's worth asking Sage to include some of these higher values as defaults in the UI now. That avoids these kind of questions popping up every couple of months
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Maybe it's worth asking Sage to include some of these higher values as defaults in the UI now. That avoids these kind of questions popping up every couple of months
I'll second that.

In the meantime, how about someone just post the line we need to get 20mb/s on the Colossus.

S
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone here not had problems with the card? I'm wanting to buy two but am a bit concerned that I might end up dealing with lockups, aspect issues, etc.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
That eazy to add
You will have to close SageTV, not sleep
Then you will need to open the sage.properties file with notepad add the below to lines

mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Constant\ Rate=videobitrate\=20000000|vbr\=0
mmc/python2_encoding/Colossus\ Max\ Variable\ Rate=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=1|peakvideobitrate\=20000000

See below screenshot

Close Notepad and Save file restart SageTV and have some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (312.7 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by SHS; 02-26-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Sage Icon

Thank you sir.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

S
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Anyone here not had problems with the card? I'm wanting to buy two but am a bit concerned that I might end up dealing with lockups, aspect issues, etc.
Just to put this in perspective from what I've seen in the few hours that I used it, the Colossus works no worse than the USB HD PVR. In many aspects it looks better and is an improvement over the USB version. Maybe you should start with one to give it try.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Wait the dish vip211 is not putting encryption on your hdmi??? Now I need to hurry up and try mine.
I don't think the original 211 is HDCP compliant (which is why the unencrypted bitstream is exposed, allowing the R5000 to work). If it had gone through HDCP certification, this never would have happened.

Funny thing is, I had a 211 die, and just got a replacement yesterday. They actually sent me the old 211. I had expected them to be eliminating them by now, and sending the 211k. I will be checking the HDMI also when I get around to unboxing the 2 Colossi sitting on my desk.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'm interested in this mainly for capturing DD/DTS 5.1 from my Xbox/PS3 Games.
So that I can run it through a HRTF filter & change it to stereo simulated surround, and then pass it to my Essence ST.
Would it be possible to bypass the encoding process, and just grab the captured audio?

I'd love to use it's HDMI-in to capture 8-ch LPCM that uses the latest DD/DTS formats, namely; TrueHD, DTS-MA.
But I doubt that there'll be a "HDCP hole" like there is in the Avermedia card...
And even if there is, like the Avermedia it'll prolly be limited to grabbing only 48kHz/2ch PCM/16-bit, right?
I don't believe you can disable the compression.
You mean I can't skip the transcoding, are you absolutely sure?
Remember it's only the audio I want to "grab", video can continue to my LCD TV.

Also what of my 2nd paragraph above...
Any idea on the audio limitations of the "HDMI capture" aspect of this card?

Thank-you stranger89

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
>> Colossus also has an HDMI input port, so you can record HD video at up to 1080i from a un-encrypted HDMI source
Why is the hdmi capture limited to 1080i?
Some recent hdmi capture cards I've seen do 1080p, there's even one that does 1080p/60.
For unencrypted sources of course, audio is another matter, most are pretty lame in that regard

Last edited by jalyst; 02-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.