SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Sage User

Beyond TV User - progress bar, "Keep At Most", cycle recordings

I'm new to SageTV after having used Beyond TV for several years. I recently added HDTV to my setup, and I just felt like it was time to abandon ship, so to speak. Anyway, I'm liking Sage for the most part, but I have a few minor complaints.

#1 - When I hit play while the OSD/progressbar/timebar is up, it doesn't go away. Is there any way to change that behavior? I've noticed that if I use the mouse to click somewhere on the video, that works, but I typically use my remote (currently a Firefly) exclusively.

#2 - In Sage, as in BeyondTV, you can set up a favorite to only "Keep At Most" a certain number of recordings. However, in BeyondTV, I could essentially override that setting by telling it to keep a specific recording until I deleted it. Then it would keep n + 1 recordings, where n were the most recent, and the 1 was the one I manually selected to keep. Can I do anything similar in SageTV?

#3 - In the Recordings menu, at one point I had it set up to cycle through the sub-recordings, but I can't find the setting for that anymore. For example, if I have grouping turned on, and I highlight "The Office", it lists all available episodes on the right, and shows a preview image of the first. Before it used to cycle through the list and update the preview image as it incremented through the list.

Last edited by jvonbokel; 11-17-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: update title
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonbokel View Post
#2 - In Sage, as in BeyondTV, you can set up a favorite to only "Keep At Most" a certain number of recordings. However, in BeyondTV, I could essentially override that setting by telling it to keep a specific recording until I deleted it. Then it would keep n + 1 recordings, where n were the most recent, and the 1 was the one I manually selected to keep. Can I do anything similar in SageTV?
Mark it as a manual recording or archive it. Either flag will prevent it from being auto deleted.

Not sure if it still counts towards the keep at most number. I don't think it will if you mark it as a manual recording, but not 100% sure.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
#1 - When I hit play while the OSD/progressbar/timebar is up, it doesn't go away. Is there any way to change that behavior? I've noticed that if I use the mouse to click somewhere on the video, that works, but I typically use my remote (currently a Firefly) exclusively.
iirc pressing info while the osd is active will hide it... would be simple enough in studio to make play do the same
Quote:
#3 - In the Recordings menu, at one point I had it set up to cycle through the sub-recordings, but I can't find the setting for that anymore. For example, if I have grouping turned on, and I highlight "The Office", it lists all available episodes on the right, and shows a preview image of the first. Before it used to cycle through the list and update the preview image as it incremented through the list.
there's an option in Detailed Setup ->Customize ??? that toggles whether the options auto scroll or not
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 11-18-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm new to SageTV after having used Beyond TV for several years.
I'm still a BTV user and have been observing SageTV for a while now. Years in fact. I am curious of your experience going from BTV to Sage. You can either reply here or PM me.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
As razrsharpe said just hit info to hide it. I do this all the time to make the OSD disappear.

Quote:
As Slugger said just press the record button to make it a manual recording then your favorite will record "Keep at Most" other recordings. It does for me on the news. I have keep at most set to 1 and I have two recordings because I have one marked as manual and another marked as a favorite that gets replaced every day. The manual one I just haven't used an editor to cut out the story I wanted to keep yet.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmar89 View Post
I'm still a BTV user and have been observing SageTV for a while now. Years in fact. I am curious of your experience going from BTV to Sage. You can either reply here or PM me.
fwiw, My experience:
sometime around Sage V3 or V4, I thought about making the switch from BTV to Sage... I gave the free demo a try... and I ran back crying to the comfort of BTV...

sometime around the start of sage V6/introduction of the HD200, I tried again... there were a few minor bumps in the road, a Bit of re-learning how to do things... but overall, things went very much smoother... been a happy Sage user ever since...

now with the Sage V7, I believe the switch will be much, much easier...
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage User

Thanks Slugger, razrsharpe, and BobPhoenix. The "manual recording" suggestion seems to be working. Also I found the cycling option I was looking for in Detailed Setup -> General -> Animation Options -> Cycle through subgroup items.

And info does exactly what I'm looking for. In fact I think I ran across that once before. Is there any way to change the behavior so that a repeat press of the play or ok button would do the same thing? Is that something I can customize in Studio?

To tmar89, I'd suggest downloading the trial and checking it out. I think you'll be satisfied. Setup was pretty easy. It seems like the "TV" portion is pretty equivalent to BeyondTV, plus it includes video/photo/dvd viewing ala BeyondMedia. Also, I really like how video is integrated with the menu system, so I can browse other recordings, check upcoming recordings, etc. all without stopping what I'm watching. And perhaps most important, it's under continuous development, so it's only getting better, unlike BeyondTV.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
s there any way to change the behavior so that a repeat press of the play or ok button would do the same thing? Is that something I can customize in Studio?
you can definitely change/customize that in studio... and its a small simple project to get familiar with studio too
Check out TVExplorer
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
#1 - When I hit play while the OSD/progressbar/timebar is up, it doesn't go away. Is there any way to change that behavior?
Take a look at this customization (for v7)
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52131
I have not tested it myself though