SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just to throw another option out there if nothing else pans out.. Both D-Link and Netgear make devices that can be used to connect as a bridge between the HD300 (or any other ethernet device with hard-wire port) and a wireless network (b/g/n) -- effectively feeding the wireless data to the HD300 that way.. I've got a BBQ controller at home that I use for long BBQ sessions (>20 hours) and it doesn't do WIFI but I can use one of these devices and have it connect to the WIFI in the house and just run a short ethernet cable from the Netgear box to the BBQ controller and viola I'm off to the races..

I just picked one up today at the local Fry's for about $50 if I recall.. I got the Netgear WNCE2001 which can be seen here.. No interest in either company here-- just passing along some info for you all!

Just for completness, the D-Link equivalent product can be found here..
Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBox View Post
This is why I too have stayed away from powerline, but I have to admit that my ideas about it date back about 5 years ago when I first tried them. I should revisit it and try it out - I am sure it has gotten a lot better and easier to configure. After all, I am sure it beats my 75-foot ethernet cable I use and then hide to connet my HD300 right now (it is in the exercise room and I only use it when I'm on the treadmill on really cold days).

Thanks for your comments. Any suggestions on what to get for PowerLine? Is Belkin still the only game in town?
I just returned a GefenTV Ethernet over coax kit - I could never get the Sender to link to the Receiver, even when I tried connecting them over the same coax cable just as a test. The documentation I found on their site and materials was really bare; I even tried finding a firmware update to see if that would help, but no luck finding that either. It is unfortunate because I was excited about it. I guess I will have to stick with my ugly 75' cable...