SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sad to see this come to a close (it looked really promising), but I understand priorities.

You're incredibly talented and I enjoy all of your work. Thanks for showing how much the new UI can be improved on!
Twitter: ohpleaseno
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Plucky,

I understand as well...I can't get over all of the projects you are working on and can imagine that it would be easy to get burnt out.

Thank you for SMM and all that you do!

Dan

P.S. - one of the Ploxee features that I was excited about was the integration of the netflix streaming TV series. I think the problem is that evilpenguins Playon Queue importer creates multiple files for each of the TV episodes. Can this be integrated into SMM?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpleaseno View Post
Sad to see this come to a close (it looked really promising), but I understand priorities.

You're incredibly talented and I enjoy all of your work. Thanks for showing how much the new UI can be improved on!
Ditto!
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaverd View Post
Plucky,

I understand as well...I can't get over all of the projects you are working on and can imagine that it would be easy to get burnt out.

Thank you for SMM and all that you do!

Dan

P.S. - one of the Ploxee features that I was excited about was the integration of the netflix streaming TV series. I think the problem is that evilpenguins Playon Queue importer creates multiple files for each of the TV episodes. Can this be integrated into SMM?
I don't have this problem but i have run into it before. That sounds more like a BMT issue and could be easily fixed via editing the files in the web interface.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I think you guys are letting your imaginations get way way ahead of yourself. I simply stated PloxeeTV will not see the light of day meaning as of current it is dead and no longer being coded on or finished. I have reasons and right now I don't have a answer as to what will replace it, if anything.

Right now the thought process is I spends hours (and I mean days,weeks etc) coding in SMM fixing issues and adding new features. I feel I have been very good at addressing fixing issues and sometimes go way beyond adding enhancements (I don't use most of them). I don't want/need another application/plugin to keep up on top of that. Coding for sagetv is just a hobby and I don't want it to overtake me in any way shape or form.

So as of right now PloxeeTV is dead and I am considering,thinking, trying options on where I want to go next if anywhere.

This statement does not pertain to SMM just PloxeeTV.

Cheers

pluckyhd
Umm... nope, that's not it. I'm still sticking with my theory.

On a more serious note, yeah, we definitely understand. Might it help if you did what Slugger does with his projects and come up with hard stops for functionality changes? This way, you're adding functionality to later versions and only bug fixes to the current one. Assuming you don't release the latest version (at which point the old one get deprecated and only major fixes are released), you--theoretically--could find more time available for yourself. Now, whether you choose to relax with that time or work on something else is your call. Just an idea, since none of us want you to get burned out. We want you working on whatever you enjoy.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't blame you. You're only human and you do have a life.

An application (plugin) is sort of like having a child. It's the care and feeding and helping it grow that takes up your time. And more than you ever thought.

It's the evil monster Scope Creep that gets in when you least expect it. You have your vision-and then everyone helps you define your vision with theirs. It becomes never-ending.

I appreciate all of the work you have done and look forward to whatever the future brings.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for all the kind comments much appreciated.

I am at a crossroads right now and not sure which direction I am going but will be for sure let everyone know when I decide.

Many/Some people were really wanting something from me that used the default DB. So I have been toying playing with bringing MyMovies data into it but it isn't going so well. MyMovies and the new provider just have allot of features I can't implement into the default db very easily/well. It is hard for me to code fully for the default db because it isn't something I use other than tv recordings, but I am/was trying to accommodate. Ploxee was more my playing with the default db again and seeing what it could and couldn't do with BMT and MyMovies and a new provider.

I feel like SMM still isn't complete and missing many features (and is something I use almost daily in my household). So I am trying to figure out best way to approach it all together from this point on. With the upcoming TV support for MyMovies and TV support from my new provider I also have to think about those things going forward.

In the end I think you will more than likely have two options use one of my two providers with my UI's or the other UI/Scrapers of your liking (ie BMT-phoenix,Ortus, anything new that might come). It is easier for me just to write a implementation class for Phoenix to use my providers fanart so people can just write properties file and switch back and fourth. The properties files created by my providers should be close to good enough to what BMT scrapes for phoenix without the extra features.

So in short I am still figuring things out so to speak but all the kinds words and understanding are much appreciated.

cheers

Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

IMHO, I think you've fallen victim to your own success, compounded by the desire to please everyone. Simply put, you can't. Ask Apple or Microsoft. You may not have the scale they do (yet? ), but you do have the same, very real, issue of a very devoted--and sometimes fanatical--fanbase. I would do what's best for the end product in the long run and let the users decide if "missing feature x" is worth abandoning it for. My guess, like the missing features of 1st gen Apple products, is it will not be worth abandoning.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

What are your plans for TV support in SMM? Are you talking Imported and Recorded?

That's pretty much what I was looking for with Ploxee, a place to have Recorded and Imported coexist together in a unified view. TV Explorer has a few bugs that are killing it for me right now and is the best solution so far. What you were showing seemed to be better.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
IMHO, I think you've fallen victim to your own success, compounded by the desire to please everyone. Simply put, you can't. Ask Apple or Microsoft. You may not have the scale they do (yet? ), but you do have the same, very real, issue of a very devoted--and sometimes fanatical--fanbase. I would do what's best for the end product in the long run and let the users decide if "missing feature x" is worth abandoning it for. My guess, like the missing features of 1st gen Apple products, is it will not be worth abandoning.
Very true in all regards. I can't please everyone so I have to do what I like/use and if others do great if they don't they have the option of not using it Now if I could just make the money apple and microsoft do

Quote:
What are your plans for TV support in SMM? Are you talking Imported and Recorded?
Both.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

I very much enjoy your work, Plucky, but most important is taking care of #1... and that would be YOU

Speaking from experience... whatever you do,I think you have to make sure you continue to enjoy it and have fun doing it. Whether that is spending less time or more time with Sage, you gotta keep it fun for YOU!

Thanks much again and I'm happy to use whatever you decide to share with us
Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Very true in all regards. I can't please everyone so I have to do what I like/use and if others do great if they don't they have the option of not using it Now if I could just make the money apple and microsoft do
I'm still not using this yet because of the MM requirement, but I'm definitely planning to once that's removed. I don't believe you were implying that you had thoughts of charging for your work, so I hope no one thinks I'm putting words in Plucky's mouth (his 4k+ posts clearly indicate he's more than capable of speaking for himself ). But, at least for me, when Slugger decided to move to a pay model for some features, I didn't even flinch to fork over the chump change he was asking for. In fact, if there had been an option to up the amount, I would have. (Sadly, I fully admit I was too lazy to pay twice. )
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Both.
So, I'm confused then. It seems like you were developing two projects in parallel that were doing the same thing. What was the differenced between Ploxee and the new SMM?

Or is that the point?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So, I'm confused then. It seems like you were developing two projects in parallel that were doing the same thing. What was the differenced between Ploxee and the new SMM?
See this:

Quote:
Many/Some people were really wanting something from me that used the default DB. So I have been toying playing with bringing MyMovies data into it but it isn't going so well. MyMovies and the new provider just have allot of features I can't implement into the default db very easily/well. It is hard for me to code fully for the default db because it isn't something I use other than tv recordings, but I am/was trying to accommodate. Ploxee was more my playing with the default db again and seeing what it could and couldn't do with BMT and MyMovies and a new provider.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Sad to hear that this and ortus are being scrapped. Well, at least ortus lost 2 great developers. Do what you need to do for yourself. I've found myself asking how you even find time for smm alone. I barely have free time just trying to figure out what is making my system act so odd. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

EDIT: this did look like a cool way to organize tv. If I could just get TVE back I'd be happy. If it could integrate netflix and hulu tv shows that is...
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Sage Icon

@plucky

You mentioned a new provider. I might have missed it, but what new provider are you talking about?

@panteragtsk

I have TVE up and running with Hulu integration based on EP's plugins in Sage 7. I don't have Netflix because I don't use it, but it should certainly work. TVE isn't in the repository IIRC, but razr has the necessary file in the thread here on the forums to install it.