SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM

won't tune local HD channels from cable

ok, I downloaded sagetv and I'm impressed. let me first tell you my setup and what I tried.

I have a windows PC connected via HDMI to my Toshiba LCD television and I bought a Hauppauge hd pvr 1600.
I tried beyond tv and it seems like a low quality piece of software.
I tried windows media center and it is really nice but I read somewhere that it will NOT tune basic cable HD stations like those from the local stations.

Enter Sage TV. This program is by far the nicest I've seen and it even works with the remote to my tv card. It was however weird when I set up the Sage software that it wanted to set up the hauppauge 480 card. I just went with it not thinking it would work but it did so hey... whatever.

Anyhow. I've got basic plug in cable service. there's 80 or so channels and within those channels there are a few high definition channels. these would be 45-1, 13-1, 11-1, etc.... those are my 4 or 5 local stations which have the HD option. My toshiba LCD tv will tune those stations but the hauppauge card doesn't seem to want to.

I'm convinced this is in a setting somewhere. A way to manually add a channel. where is this though?

If I can solve this, I will gladly buy this software.

p.s. I have my cable wire plugged into the standard cable port on the tv card and not the ATSC/QAM port. if I plug it in there, no channels are found.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe you have to add the card twice (once as the analog tuner, once as the digital cable tuner). The analog channel scan should find all the analog statinos. The digital channel scan should find all the unencrypted digital stations.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveright View Post
p.s. I have my cable wire plugged into the standard cable port on the tv card and not the ATSC/QAM port. if I plug it in there, no channels are found.
The HD channels are only going to be available via ATSC/QAM (you won't get them via the analog cable). So, you will want to connect a cable to that port too.

As Fuzzy said, you probably have to add the card in twice (once as a digital tuner and once as an analog tuner).

If the scan still doesn't find any channels, try re-starting Sage and scan again.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

It's also possible that your local cable company doesn't leave the locals unencrypted which would make your tuner device not able to find them on a scan.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
It's also possible that your local cable company doesn't leave the locals unencrypted which would make your tuner device not able to find them on a scan.
If you can tune them with the QAM tuner in your tv without a STB, they must not be encrypted and you should be able to get them with your capture card.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR