SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 AM

Can tune some channels in HDHomeRun QuickTV but not SageTV

Have comcast bay area (SF) basic cable, newly crippled ClearQAM thank you very much...

And certain channels can be viewed using HDHomeRun's toolsbut cannot view in SageTV. At first I thought they were part of the newly encrypted QAM channels from Comcast Bay Area, so I accepted them. However, I can scan for them with my HDHomeRun, then preview in their QuickTV app and view the channel unencrypted just fine! However, a subsequent scan on SageTV does not pick up these channels. SageTV hits on nearly all but not a few, particularly channel 75 (86.11), Home and Garden TV.

Now, deploying a SageTV is all about the W.A.F. If I can tune in HGTV my percentage valults a full point, maybe more...

Firewall off, sageTV user like 3 years, I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, I just don't get how Quick TV can pull 100% of a signal in, have it in it's scan, and sageTV not finding it. If you manually add the channel to the tuners, it just says NO SIGNAL. I've read the forums fairly deeply, consider myself a smart fellow and still, the scanning/mapping process is not the most intuitive....
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Administrator

What version of SageTV are you using? If v6, then try the v7 beta. If using the v7 beta, then submit a bug report. If you are going to try the v7 beta & also have other QAM tuners, be sure to get the DLL update in the v7.0.12 beta release notes topic.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Thx for reply, this was in v6.6, but I did update today to v7, and same same. Although on a scan, it does find channel 75 HGTV, but it is disabled by default.

I did apply a plugin that gave me some more info in the TV screen, and it shows signal strength now in upper right. And for that channel, it shows 0% signal. Which is what I would expect to get if I were watching an encrypted channel. However, it's not encrypted, as I can watch it in HDHomeRun QuickTV!

So I'm going to start over from scratch, deleting the scn/frq files, do full scans, etc., just to see what's going on. Was just wondering what the usual culpret tends to be..if you have a channel that is scanned in external tuner (such as HDHomeRun) and can be played if connecting right to that tuner, but SageTV does not recognize it as tunable in a scan.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM

So the plot thickens....

If I open up the HDHomeRun config utility, to get more info about what channel is tuning in, etc., and then I use the HDHomeRun QuickTV utility to tune in that channel....well, I see clearly that it says the channel is encrypted (see attached screenshot)

What I was wondering...well, we have Clear QAM...and encrypted QAM....how on earth is a program like QuickView able to view this channel? Channel reads QAM256 just like other channels, but in the Program section of HDHomeRun Config, it says "1:0 (encrypted" where none of my other channels (that are tunable/scannable) say that.

I guess I'm just confused about this one channel. Is the encrypted part a red harring perhaps?

And yes, I apologize for asking this in a Sage forum when it might not be a sage question at all. But I just am very confused how one app is able to tune in an encrypted QAM256 channel without any card/box...
Attached Images
File Type: gif sage.gif (72.6 KB, 315 views)
Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

I was having simular issues. Sage would only tune 1 of the 2 tuners. It now works (my local cableco has been moving QAM alot the past couple weeks preping for all digital), so I never submitted a bug report.

There should be a couple files in you Sage dir

Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner ########-#-#-QAM.scn

These are the files the HDHR setup util creates for Sage to use the HDHR. Try renaming these files and doing a rescan in the setup util.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Sage User

The Program shown in HDHomeRun Config GUI is not the one that is actually playing, but instead the first one numerically on the channel until you select something different. If you open the drop-down, you'll see 86.11 and it shoudl not be listed as encrypted.

Make sure you are running the latest HDHomeRun software beta as it includes a fix related to scn file generation for SageTV. http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2484