SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Sage User

HDHomerun Slow to Tune

I'm having slow tuning issues only on my HDHomerun tuner.

When SageTV tunes to a Digital QAM channel (assigned to the HDHomerun) I often see on the screen "No Signal" for a while. If I sit back and wait, sometimes up to 20 seconds, the HDHomerun eventually displays the broadcast. The longest delays are found on the music station broadcasts (up to 20 sec), in comparison to a typical TV program delay (2-5 seconds). I've lived with the delay issue since I began using sage over a year ago but figured someone may know a trick or two to resolve this issue.

Why am I experiencing what I believe to be a long delay for tuning in a QAM broadcast on the HDHomerun?

For standard definition I use a Hauppauge PVR500 tuner which tunes in the broadcast virtually instantaneously.

Am I expecting too much from the HDhomerun?

If this is just a characteristic of the HDHomerun what tuner would you recommend I use that would tune in QAM broadcasts faster?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Sage Icon

I think it is normal. I have also noticed that it takes a while for the music channels to come up but I have not timed it. I seldom watch the music channels live so I have not been concerned about it. I thought it was related to the video that does not change much on the music channels.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

The music channels are not a true video stream. It's a slideshow. So that's why the HDHR tunes the way it does on those channels. You're expecting too much if you expect the performance to be on par with a PVR500. That is tuning an analog signal. You're going to get a picture of something whether it has a good signal or not. (It may be static but it's a picture). For digital tuners it all or nothing. It takes time to lock on the signal and to actually, I guess, handshake with the signal to make sure it is clearQAM and tunable.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Sage User

It's simply because of how digital broadcasts work. Complete video frames are only transmitted every 1/4 to 3 seconds, with the rest of the frames actually stored as the difference between that complete frame and itself. This means that the decoder has to wait for a full frame before it can start decoding. Music channels can go 10 seconds or more between complete frames because they don't change much. The HDHomeRun will normally lock on a signal and begin streaming in less than a second, but the data being streamed can't be used by the decoder until it reaches that complete frame.

Jason
Silicondust Support
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Sage User

Question

Is there a faster digital tuner than the HDhomerun for Sagetv available?

I have a catv box that decodes and it only takes a 1/2 second or so to display video. My HDHR is much much slower in comparison. Now that everything is HD this leads me to believe a faster tuner card may be available now as well.

Last edited by Electronicbuff; 08-25-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Tags
hdhomerun, qam