SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

High CPU Usage on virgin install of 7.0.11

I started from scratch, just kept my wiz.bin and I a noticing from time to time sage pegs at a high cpu core. It is a brand new sage install, all I kept was the wiz.bin.

I am running a hdpvr and a hd homerun. I cant figure a rhyme or reason or pattern as to when the cpu is high. one of the times I know I was watching something off the hdpvr but i can go for a while and not see this issue

Is there anything I can look for in the logs to get to the bottom of this? The only plug-in I have is a sagetcpserver as I need that for sage controls via cqc.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Sage

Have you verified it's actually the SageTV process doing this in Task Manager and not something else on the system?

Does this actually cause any problems with your usage of SageTV?

How long does the CPU remain pegged for when you notice this happening?

If you get a log file from when it happens and note the exact time of the occurrence; then you can submit a bug report and we can take a look at it.

http://sagetv.com/bugs.html
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am sure it is the Sage service it was pegging or nearly pegging one core for an extended period of time. ... Last time I noticed it I was doing both playback and recording.

I am playing back on the extenders, if I recall that should use minimal CPU? One of the times it happened I was able to kick the cpu down by stopping playback but I thought the other times I saw high cpu I was not playing anything.

Is there any reason recording either from an HD homerun or HDPVR would beat up on the CPU?

My plan is to put a monitoring program on it to see if I find a relation to what I am doing and the cpu boost. Can anyone recommend a tool that I can use to log the CPU usage of a task at say 5 second or 30 second intervals? that way I can compare that against the sage logs

It causes the HD-PVR to barf way more often..
Old 07-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Sage

What do you mean by 'extended period of time'? For some people that's 5 seconds, for others its 5 hours.

And extender playback should use minimal CPU a well as recording from an HDHR or HDPVR. The Windows Performance Monitor may be of use for this.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I submitted a bug report. Last instance was as follows.. I would say in this case it pegged the cpu until I shutdown. I didnt see where to attach a file to my bug report so here are my files if helpful.

What i was doing
I was going through the channel setup and picking up a few hdpvr channels that were turend off.
@ 7:07 I pulled up guide and tried to tune new station. It got no signal erorr and I saw CPU pegged at 70%. I let it sit for about 2 minutes until 7:09. CPU was averaging 50%(on a 2 core system - so one core pegged)
At that point I put the one the one extender that was playing to standby to see if it droppe the demain. After putting extender itto standby it went up to 70% cpu usage and then and it stayed around 30% until I stopped the service.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zbug.zip (437.7 KB, 239 views)
Old 07-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Sage Icon

Is that an MVP extender or an HD-200 extender? If it is an MVP extender and not a Mpeg2 file, then the computer has to transcode the file into mpeg2 on the fly, consuming a lot of CPU. If you have a MVP extender, it is worth upgrading to a HD-200 when they become available again.

How fast is the CPU and how much memory do you have? You should have a minimum of 1 gig. It is much better to have 2 gigs. If you have MVP extenders and do Comskip processing, you should have a 3 gig processor.

Dave
Old 07-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

HD200
Intel Core Duo Processor 2.93 mhz
3 Gigs Ram

I took out all the plug ins on this install. All i have is sagetcp server as I need that for the remote controls as i control sage via cqc.