SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:55 AM
Sage User

Please disable the windows screen saver while watching

I think the screen saver issue really needs to be addressed...

The problem is that sage does not disable the screen saver while watching. I understand there is a config line to disbale it, but then it disables the screen saver even while sleeping.

Sage needs to disable the screen saver while watching TV and then re-enable it again while sleeping. Surely this is logical.

Please, please, please address this in the final release. It is the no.1 most annoying thing about Sage (which is great otherwise).

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Sage Expert

In the Sagetv.properties file:
ui/disable_screen_saver_and_pm=true

This only disables the screen saver while SageTV is awake.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by turak
This only disables the screen saver while SageTV is awake.
I'll have to try that again... the last time I did, it disabled it even while SageTV was sleeping. Have you used it recently?

- Andy
Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 AM

This works correctly for me on SageClient.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I ran through my tests for this again... the screen saver works correctly on my server and client now; monitor power management seems to work on the client, but not on the server. When SageTV is sleeping & the monitor is set to power off after X minutes, the monitor will turn off after the set time & then immediately turn on again.

- Andy
Old 04-25-2004, 08:28 AM

I would guess Sage server is doing something that uses CPU (scheduling?) and canceling out PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
I would guess Sage server is doing something that uses CPU (scheduling?) and canceling out PM.
If that were the cae, wouldn't it have not turned the monitor off in the first place? It turns off & then _immediately_ comes back on... every time.

Has anyone else tried enabling monitor PM on the server? I went ahead and filed a bug for that specific problem where the monitor always immediately turns back on when the server is sleeping... but if it works for others, maybe it is just my system.

- Andy
Old 04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I ran through my tests for this again... the screen saver works correctly on my server and client now; monitor power management seems to work on the client, but not on the server. When SageTV is sleeping & the monitor is set to power off after X minutes, the monitor will turn off after the set time & then immediately turn on again.

- Andy
I reported that problem several months ago with the released 1.4 version of the software.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4

Has anyone else tried enabling monitor PM on the server? I went ahead and filed a bug for that specific problem where the monitor always immediately turns back on when the server is sleeping... but if it works for others, maybe it is just my system.

- Andy
I don't have a monitor hooked up to my server. Just a TV. So I don't use PM on the server. On my client however everything works fine. If SageClient is sleeping, the screen saver will come on after 30 minutes and the monitor will shut off after 2 hours.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Sage User

Ah, just tested it and it seems OK now.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Sage Expert

Has anyone found a fix to this problem of the ui/disable_screen_saver_and_pm=true disabling PM of the monitor when in sleep mode? After I put Sage to sleep, I have to set PM in windows to turn off the monitor (even though the PM is already on) to override Sage's PM setting. Otherwise, the monitor turns off for a second, then back on. It's very annoying.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Administrator

It may have something to do with the Windows installation (and/or BIOS capabilities?)... having PM turn off my monitor worked on my client & not my server, but now that I've built a new server, it works on both systems.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks...I'll check the bios settings tonight. As for windows xp home, I don't know of any way to tweak the PM. It's a standard Dell installation of XP with sp2. Plus, I've used other programs like Winamp that disable playback while video is playing. I suspect Sage is using a strange method of doing this.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:59 PM
SageTVaholic

ok try this disable power management

close SageTV and change the property from false to true and restart sageTV

close SageTV again
and reenable the power management settings and restart SageTV again
(you may need to do some reboots in between not sure if that would help but set SageTV not to start with the computer)

I believe that was the order that I ended up working to get Sage to disable them when it was in use and they still work when SAge is sleeping

I still cannot get the client to start at boot up though????
Old 09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the info. I tried your sequence last night, but I still couldn't get it to work correctly. By disable the PM, I assume you mean set the monitor to never turn off.

I also looked at the bios, but there were only 3 PM settings, none of which related to the monitor. Only the hard drive and low power usage by the board.

Additionally, I played around with the NVIDIA desktop software (normally turned off) the NVIDIA drivers integrate into XP. None of those changes, or the software being on or off, make any difference.

Maybe I have other software running in the background that is interferring with the PM somehow.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Attorney
Has anyone found a fix to this problem of the ui/disable_screen_saver_and_pm=true disabling PM of the monitor when in sleep mode? After I put Sage to sleep, I have to set PM in windows to turn off the monitor (even though the PM is already on) to override Sage's PM setting. Otherwise, the monitor turns off for a second, then back on. It's very annoying.
If the computer is running XP, try running the progam in 98/ME compatibility mode.