SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

How do I update?

I want to install the plugin that allows me to watch Netflix, Fancast, etc. but it says that I need the latest SageTV version and the latest "STV." I don't even know what an STV is. I have Windows 7 64 bit, and I don't see an update option under "advanced". I gather that it's the STV that I need to update, because I already have 6.6.2.218 with "Current STV file set version: 2009072401" and assuming the version number is related to the date 2009101301 would appear to be newer, because it's a higher number? How do I update the STV in this case, and would that automatically update to the latest software version or is that a separate process?

Very confused, as usual.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Follow these instructions to update your STV. There's a special note in the post about Vista/Win7 not showing you the update button and how to handle it.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, but now I'm confused about the "virtual store" stuff. Should I disable the UAC? If I had it enabled when I installed SageTV will it cause problems to disable it? This complexity is one of the reasons I haven't bothered to use the Netflix plugin, but it's time now.

I have it disabled, but haven't re-booted the computer yet so I suppose that's reversible. Is disabling UAC recommended?

BTW, I tried to copy the new file to the SageTV3 folder, but it doesn't end up there. So, I'll probably have to disable the UAC anyway, and once I do that I won't need to do a manual update will I? I can turn this feature on, except that I don't know what line to change in the properties file. There currently isn't a line like "version/allow_Vista_STV_updates=true" at all. Do I add it??

Last edited by freewheeling; 06-04-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to keep my questions in one post.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK, I'm going to reiterate this for clarity.

I tried to replace the SageTV3.xml file manually, but copy and paste doesn't replace the version that's in the installated folder in Program Files.

Does this mean that I can't use the manual install either?

If I have to turn off UAC in order to do the manual installation, why should I even bother with that? Apparently if I turn off the UAC I can then use the "update" feature in the UI, but I don't know how to turn it on. All of the instructions I've seen say that you have to edit the property line that sets the version update to "true" but there is no such line in my current properties file.

So, what do I do? I still have no idea how to proceed.

Finally, the STV updates apparently aren't cummulative, so I *should* install them all manually, one at a freaking time? Ugh... that seems pretty, well "clunky."

Last edited by freewheeling; 06-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do I even need to do any of this?

If I'm using the HD200 media extender can't I use PlayOn from standalone mode? What am I not getting here?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think I got it!

I just re-booted after disabling UAP (or whatever it's called) and when SageTV started it ran through the setup wizard again. I just accepted all the defaults and lo... the updates option was enabled. I think I had to run through it about ten times, but seems to be updated now. I've downloaded and installed PlayOn and Silverlight, and copied the plugin executable and STVs folder to the SageTV installation. Hopefully that'll do it. Wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, assuming I haven't screwed things up...