SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Clean install windows7 of Sagev7 - v7 doing slow scan for HDHR channels !?

Had this same issue back in 2008 with last upgrade/install.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38045

Seems SageTv and HDHR cannot get it togeather still in the new version.

Before you start saying how easy it was for you, think. The issues that us not so computer smart people encounter are the reason we give up and tell others not to try this type of setup. I have done this before. I have done this on a clean install and had the same issue. Members start talking about UAC permissions and what else. Clean windows install and follow the instructions and it should work. Not true it can fail.

I clean install new Sage7
I install HDHR.
Do channel scan in HDHR.
The 'digital cable' file saves to C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun
Fire up SageTv7
Get to add tunner
Go to add HDHR
Sage finds the 4 HDHRs
Pick my lineup etc.
SageTV seems not to be able to find the 'digital cable' file and goes to a slow scan. I am assuming sage uses the 'digital cable' file to create its 'scan files' OR HDHR makes a 'digital cable' file and 'scan files' for Sagetv.

Am I frustrated? yeah.
Will I be happy when it works? yes.
I never got a HD-PVR before now because I thought it would be difficult to install and thought the HDHR with its network type connection would be easier. Turns out I find the HDPVR I just got is 10 times easier to install than the HDHR.

And you wonder why several months ago I was looking at a Moxi box!

Last edited by Crunch; 05-31-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
Had this same issue back in 2008 with last upgrade/install.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38045

SageTV seems not to be able to find the 'digital cable' file and goes to a slow scan. I am assuming sage uses the 'digital cable' file to create its 'scan files' OR HDHR makes a 'digital cable' file and 'scan files' for Sagetv.
No - you posted a link to your old topic, but you seem to have missed the post where I told you what file to copy & from where.

SageTV isn't using the VirtualStore location in v7, but SiliconDust's software may be putting the scn file there. If the VirtualStore directory doesn't exist & thus SiliconDust's software isn't creating the scn file, then try creating the VirtualStore path that would have been used for SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,
Thanks for reply.
I did read your old post but it said things about UAC. "SageTV won't see the scan files in the VirtualStore if UAC is turned off or if service mode is in use."

I haven't touched UAC as far as I am aware so didn't go there.

I know this is beta, and maybe this is more a HDHR issue. But surely you two speak to each other and when such changes occurs (not using VirtualStore) it can be planned so that HDHR looks for what version number of SageTV is being installed and from there the HDHR puts the files in the right place.

With what you suggest, what happens if in a week or a year I do a new scan with my HDHRs. I have to remember to move files again. This is where it gets frustrating that it doesn't work out of the box. All this new layout etc and a new install doesn't work.

I can see how those who upgraded may have less issues as they are manually moving files as you suggest I do.

Guess I need to suck it up and just report the issues as I am a 'beta' tester. But I thought the basics would be covered.

Once again thanks for reply. Will have a day at the pool with kids and try tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I did a clean install of SageTV v7 on Windows 7 recently and had the same problem as you. In my case, I was not able to locate the scan files generated by the HDHR setup program anywhere on my PC. The solution that ended up working for me was to disable UAC, restart, then rerun the HDHR scan through the setup program. After doing so, the scan files were created in the Program Files (x86)\SageTV folder, and I was able to re-enable UAC.

I agree it isn't really an optimum solution. I really don't want to disable / enable UAC every time I need to do a rescan.

-Dan
Old 06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
No - you posted a link to your old topic, but you seem to have missed the post where I told you what file to copy & from where.

SageTV isn't using the VirtualStore location in v7, but SiliconDust's software may be putting the scn file there. If the VirtualStore directory doesn't exist & thus SiliconDust's software isn't creating the scn file, then try creating the VirtualStore path that would have been used for SageTV.

- Andy
Where are the scn/frq files supposed to go in v7?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator

They should be in the SageTV install directory where sagetv.exe is located.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.